IR name change

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrueAntagonist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, has there been any talk about changing IR's name? I know it was discussed a while back at SIR with the goal being to the better market ourselves to the public.

It just made me think about IR's identity in medicine, how it's evolving, and whether a name change will actually change anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Just out of curiosity, has there been any talk about changing IR's name? I know it was discussed a while back at SIR with the goal being to the better market ourselves to the public.

It just made me think about IR's identity in medicine, how it's evolving, and whether a name change will actually change anything.
Curious about this too, thought it was supposed to be reveal at this past SIR.

I won't change anything significantly.

Members don't see this ad :)
IR will likely remain "Vascular & Interventional Radiology" for the foreseeable future, and I think this is the appropriate. I base this on the ACGME approval of "Interventional Radiology" as a new specialty in medicine. I think the name encompasses the training needed to excel at the position, namely to be able to read and understand appropriate imaging (radiology), while providing interventions with said radiologic skills.

IR will likely remain "Vascular & Interventional Radiology" for the foreseeable future, and I think this is the appropriate. I base this on the ACGME approval of "Interventional Radiology" as a new specialty in medicine. I think the name encompasses the training needed to excel at the position, namely to be able to read and understand appropriate imaging (radiology), while providing interventions with said radiologic skills.

Probably. Although my vote would have gone to Interventional and endovacular surgical Radiology. Or INterventional Radiology and Endovascular surgery. Or Endovascular Surgical Radiology. This is just making a change like the surgeons who now call themselves or their fellowship training "Vascular and endovascular surgery".

Last edited: