Technology iPhone Medical Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vir0n

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is my understanding the Apple is soon to release a SDK that will permit software development on the iPhone. This is a good thing, as I am interested in purchasing an iPhone (waiting for the second generation - no rush right now). I curious what PDA programs medical students currently use on a regular basis in the wards?

Perhaps we could get a little list going and collectively ask/encourage the developers to port the software over to the iPhone.

Members don't see this ad.

I know ePocrates is going to be ported to the iPhone per my emails with their CEO.

I've also communicated with PEPID and UpToDate leadership, and they will be evaluating the iPhone's potential for a dedicated version of their programs.

I for one can't wait for programs to be ported to the iphone. As useful as most web mobile programs can be on the iphone, a program like epocrates would be amazing if run natively on the phone. In fact, i think epocrates had already stated on their website that they will be supplying users with their software once they get SDK

The one thing to wonder is when exactly SDK is to be released.

Members don't see this ad :)
I for one can't wait for programs to be ported to the iphone. As useful as most web mobile programs can be on the iphone, a program like epocrates would be amazing if run natively on the phone. In fact, i think epocrates had already stated on their website that they will be supplying users with their software once they get SDK

The one thing to wonder is when exactly SDK is to be released.

Apple said by the end of February the SDK would be out...I've been going crazy waiting for the dang thing and Apple sure is dragging it out

What do you think of this?

Looks great if it is 100% compatible and able to sync...

What do you think of this?

Looks great if it is 100% compatible and able to sync...

seems nifty, but if all goes well with the SDK (and if apple has listened to one word apple aficionados have said) then we will be able to run third party apps that will kick trash without having to jump through hacking hoops and running the possibility of bricking.

after watching that video I really wanted to put a stylus in that guys hand! I havent tried using one yet with my touch, but using your finger to hit the tiny keys when typing gets annoying fast

Does anyone know of any good medical programs for those of us with jailbroken iphones?

I talked to the people at USBMIS who produce the PDA version of the Tarascon Pharmacopoeia. They said that they are currently working on a web-based version that will be accessible from the iPhone, and once the SDK is released they will begin porting most of their existing software for use on the iPhone.

Nate.

wow - i just tried the web version - looks awesome, a lot of information!

i looked up azithromycin, it's even got pics of the tablets ... though I doubt it'll help much when patients say - "oh you know the little white pill".:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
what do you think the chances are of smaller independent programs being made for iphone, and how soon? Things like risk calculators, or little references (like shots?). And will they be free? My contract is up soon and I would love to get an iphone, but I also still want those things, even with the epocrates available, it needs to be a little closer to a palm.

I for one am very excited about this. Finally some medical programs for my iPhone. Even though web version of epocrates is good its too slow and sucks if you are in an area without reception. Now if skyscape jumps on this I am good to go. Hopefully apple won't be too strict with what programs are made

Now with epocrates on board, I'm sold :)
I have however read that a 3g iphone is to come out soon. Would that need a whole new phone or just an upgrade?

I got tell you, my OCPD wants it NOW!!

I just saw the demo of epocrates and it looks amazing. I can't wait for it to be released. Sadly another 3 months. Now if only skyscape can be just as quick

What do you guys think the pricing is going to be on this iphone ap?

well epocrates Rx has always been free

3G would be new hardware - i.e you'd need a new phone

i think there will be heaps of medical software coming out for iPhone/ipod touch. just need the developers to get some time with the SDK, apples app store via iTunes will help a lot too.

Since I won't be stepping foot in the wards for another year to year and a half...I can wait on the programs. I'm confident the software will be rocking a year from June.

Personally, if you can wait, I would hold off on purchasing an iPhone until the second generation hardware arrives. 3G (faster data transfer) is highly anticipated. I would love to see GPS too. 3G + GPS = Apple having my money.

I just saw the demo of epocrates online and its just amazing. I can't even count how many times on rotations I have ran into patients who don't know the name of the meds they take but they say stuff like "its a little blue pill". The ability to search based on the shape/color/etc is amazing. Hopefully this program is released before i start my acting internship month

Anyone heard any rumors or anything about the timeline for the 3G iPhone release?

Anyone heard any rumors or anything about the timeline for the 3G iPhone release?

Since they didn't say anything about it at the SDK release last week, most of the rumors I'm hearing say it'll most likely be June. I'll see if I can find a link to said rumor...or maybe drum more info out of a friend who works for Apple.

Nate.

Curehunter's mobile pubmed app works ok on the iphone.

The dictionary thingy doesn't tho, too much flash and javascript.

What I have learnt is Skyscape is definitely on the native SDK bandwagon and apparently they have also been one of the very first ones to be approved in the iphone developer program. So hoping that their launch would also be at the same time or even before ePocrates.

what do you think the chances are of smaller independent programs being made for iphone, and how soon? Things like risk calculators, or little references (like shots?). And will they be free? My contract is up soon and I would love to get an iphone, but I also still want those things, even with the epocrates available, it needs to be a little closer to a palm.

I doubt that there will be a lot of smaller independent programs that will be free since Apple charges every developer $99/year for the right to produce applications, even if the applications are freeware.

The only way you'll get free applications is if you have an always-on Internet connection or if you jailbreak your iPhone.

I will still be getting myself the new 3g iphone coming out sooooooon. Can't wait!

I hope all the med software companies follow after epocrates and start designing some nice ones that take advantage of the iphone features.

I doubt that there will be a lot of smaller independent programs that will be free since Apple charges every developer $99/year for the right to produce applications, even if the applications are freeware.

The only way you'll get free applications is if you have an always-on Internet connection or if you jailbreak your iPhone.

$99 is a one-time payment for developers to access testing programs on the iPhone itself and code-signing. Apple fully supports free apps on the iPhone. See their SDK announcement webcast for details.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/qtv/iphoneroadmap/

For all of you waiting to gets your hands on a 3G iPhone....

AT&T sent an internal memo yesterday that no vacation would be offered to AT&T sales personnel from June 15 - July 12 to due to an anticipated "heavy selling period" due to the launch of a "exciting summer promotion."

This is exactly one year after the launch of the iPhone and looks like it can't be anything other that the 3G iPhone!!

More details here:
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/05/06/apple_to_begin_selling_3g_iphone_in_late_june.html

Instant ECG takes advantage of the iPhone's multimedia capabilities as it offers full screen ECG movies to help physicians, nurses, medical students, and paramedics learn electrocardiogram (ECG) interpretation.

http://www.InstantECG.org/index.php/pressrelease/

InstantECG1.jpg

Last edited:
The ECG Guide for the iPhone, available on the app store now!

- Clear description of both common and complex ECG findings
- Over 100 sample ECGs for easy reference and visual learning, indexed by topic
- Quiz feature for studying and review
- All ECGs are high resolution images

iphonewithecgguide.jpg

Learn more at http://www.qxmd.com/the-ecg-guide-for-iPhone/

Last edited:
A new medical app for the iPhone - Safe OR - is now available.

This program is adapted from the Surgical Safety Checklist - this checklist was studied and results have just been published in the NEJM. Results are impressive and show > 40% relative risk reduction in post-operative mortality after implementation of this 19-step checklist.

Actually remembering the list and using it systematically may be a problem - along comes Safe OR. Given the software is only $2, it seems a reasonable investment in our patients' safety.

iphonewithsafeOR.jpg

It is my understanding the Apple is soon to release a SDK that will permit software development on the iPhone. This is a good thing, as I am interested in purchasing an iPhone (waiting for the second generation - no rush right now). I curious what PDA programs medical students currently use on a regular basis in the wards?

Perhaps we could get a little list going and collectively ask/encourage the developers to port the software over to the iPhone.

Looks like Epocrates Essentials was recently released for the iPhone.

http://www.epocrates.com/products/essentials/iphone.html
Question is,,, is it a native app or webbased. Meaning is the info stored directly on the iPhone/iPod touch or is it pulled from the net on to the handset. If it's pulled from the net then it'll be a problem if you are somewhere indoors and can't get a signal, also pulling from the net will take time and be slower than pulling directly from the app itself

Question is,,, is it a native app or webbased. Meaning is the info stored directly on the iPhone/iPod touch or is it pulled from the net on to the handset. If it's pulled from the net then it'll be a problem if you are somewhere indoors and can't get a signal, also pulling from the net will take time and be slower than pulling directly from the app itself

According to this... http://epocrates1.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/epocrates1.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1079&p_created=1213750828 it's native. Updates via wireless, but native.

Hi everyone!

I just want to inform you about the Joslin Chest Atlas apps for the iphone and itouch. Check it out!

The Joslin Chest Atlas is the first interactive Radiology Atlas for the iPhone and iPod touch. By combining hundreds of clinician-years with iPhone magic, the Joslin Chest Atlas is able to provide a quite comprehensive atlas of common and uncommon radiographic findings of the chest.
Built with the medical student and resident in mind, this atlas demonstrates and quizzes you on must-know findings such as Hampton's Hump, Kerley B lines, pneumomediastinum and more.
To make the magic sauce complete, we've expounded on each finding, providing a built-in link to Wikipedia and a hard-coded Google link to find out more. Plus many more features.
View the demo video at youtube.com/watch?v=hQFx1AlGW_0

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQFx1AlGW_0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hQFx1AlGW_0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]