IPad and Laptop

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Biggytooth

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting dental school this August and am looking into various devices to get to aid my note taking and learning. I currently have an old, low grade laptop (HP laptop) that definitely needs replacing. I am inclined to get a high quality PC replacement for my current PC (maybe a Dell) because, even though I have heard many good things about Macbooks, I am not accustomed to using one. But, I am also strongly considering getting a 10th Generation IPad + IPencil +Keyboard attachment because I have from a number of current dental students that having an IPad for note taking is very helpful while in school. Having an IPad would also enable me to share and receive notes from fellow students using Apple products and applications.

What are your thoughts on this plan of mine?
Does it make sense to have both a PC and an Apple IPad, given their different operating systems and applications?
Is there an alternative that has worked for you that you would suggest?

I'd appreciate as much input and possible here. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I use both. I started off school taking physical notes, but it was way too slow and the key to getting through all the material is to be as efficient as possible. Now I use IPad with GoodNotes application for taking notes in class and can airdrop things to friends on the fly; outside of the class when transcribing notes I use the iPad to play the lecture recordings while transcribing comments onto pdfs of the lectures, it’s the fastest way so far, and I’ve got a good group of friends that we now split up some lectures between because it often takes about 3 hours of transcription per 1 hour of lecture which over the course of a year is just way too much time to be spending. If you want to do well in school make sure you see the information 3 times at least, e.g., paying attention in class, seeing/reading the lectures slides and notes 2 more times, you’ll know if you will do well on tests if prior to the test you can scroll through your notes quickly and recognize most/all of the information and can recall information on slides that will be coming up.

Reactions: 1 users
I use both. I started off school taking physical notes, but it was way too slow and the key to getting through all the material is to be as efficient as possible. Now I use IPad with GoodNotes application for taking notes in class and can airdrop things to friends on the fly; outside of the class when transcribing notes I use the iPad to play the lecture recordings while transcribing comments onto pdfs of the lectures, it’s the fastest way so far, and I’ve got a good group of friends that we now split up some lectures between because it often takes about 3 hours of transcription per 1 hour of lecture which over the course of a year is just way too much time to be spending. If you want to do well in school make sure you see the information 3 times at least, e.g., paying attention in class, seeing/reading the lectures slides and notes 2 more times, you’ll know if you will do well on tests if prior to the test you can scroll through your notes quickly and recognize most/all of the information and can recall information on slides that will be coming up.

Thank you for your input! I appreciate it

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,

I'm starting dental school this August and am looking into various devices to get to aid my note taking and learning. I currently have an old, low grade laptop (HP laptop) that definitely needs replacing. I am inclined to get a high quality PC replacement for my current PC (maybe a Dell) because, even though I have heard many good things about Macbooks, I am not accustomed to using one. But, I am also strongly considering getting a 10th Generation IPad + IPencil +Keyboard attachment because I have from a number of current dental students that having an IPad for note taking is very helpful while in school. Having an IPad would also enable me to share and receive notes from fellow students using Apple products and applications.

What are your thoughts on this plan of mine?
Does it make sense to have both a PC and an Apple IPad, given their different operating systems and applications?
Is there an alternative that has worked for you that you would suggest?

I'd appreciate as much input and possible here. Thank you!

If you're not on the Apple train already, you could also look at the Surface Pro. Has the pencil, the keyboard, and operates on Microsoft Windows. I love mine. Great for taking notes on, was really helpful for learning dental anatomy (able to draw on tooth images) and it also links with my Samsung phone so I was easily able to transfer stuff from phone to surface to laptop.

Also check out the Notability app on whatever device you get. That was my go-to for not taking, recording lectures, etc

Reactions: 1 user
If you're not on the Apple train already, you could also look at the Surface Pro. Has the pencil, the keyboard, and operates on Microsoft Windows. I love mine. Great for taking notes on, was really helpful for learning dental anatomy (able to draw on tooth images) and it also links with my Samsung phone so I was easily able to transfer stuff from phone to surface to laptop.

Also check out the Notability app on whatever device you get. That was my go-to for not taking, recording lectures, etc

Thanks for your input! I've heard of notability from some IPad users. Do you know whether you can share your Notability notes (taken on a PC) with Apple users who have Notability on their devices (and vice versa)?

Thanks for your input! I've heard of notability from some IPad users. Do you know whether you can share your Notability notes (taken on a PC) with Apple users who have Notability on their devices (and vice versa)?

Yes it can be shared between devices regardless of operating system. Everything can be save to Google cloud or other cloud based storage so can be accessed that way or you can export anything as PDF to share that way as well. In school I had no problems accessing it via iPad, Dell laptop, or Samsung cell

MacBooks are easy to use and they last a while if you have a good model. Mine is 5 years old and is still considered powerful by today’s standards. Complete Anatomy is a fantastic program that requires a good computer.

I agree that you get the iPad and pencil. Taking notes directly on PowerPoint slides is super helpful. I love the Airdrop function.

I’m sure your school will give you a Microsoft Office 365 license as well.

MacBooks are easy to use and they last a while if you have a good model. Mine is 5 years old and is still considered powerful by today’s standards. Complete Anatomy is a fantastic program that requires a good computer.

I agree that you get the iPad and pencil. Taking notes directly on PowerPoint slides is super helpful. I love the Airdrop function.

I’m sure your school will give you a Microsoft Office 365 license as well.

Do you find it better to type notes under the slides or draw directly on them?

MacBooks are easy to use and they last a while if you have a good model.

Maybe easy if you've used Macs before/are used to them. I on the other hand find them so complex and not user-friendly compared to Windows. Definitely can't teach this old doc new tricks

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users