IP ACUTE clinical rotation HELP!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SR_DPT

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I just recently got assigned to my 1st clinical rotation at an IP Acute hospital and I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to prepare for my rotation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the critical things I should study up on (ie. transfers, assisted devices, ROM, etc)or material I should definitely know going into IP Acute ?

Since I have never worked in IP acute I really have no idea how to prepare for my clinical

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Everyone!

I just recently got assigned to my 1st clinical rotation at an IP Acute hospital and I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to prepare for my rotation.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the critical things I should study up on (ie. transfers, assisted devices, ROM, etc)or material I should definitely know going into IP Acute ?

Since I have never worked in IP acute I really have no idea how to prepare for my clinical
I did my IP in a neuro hospital, and since same I had no idea what I was walking into, I just asked a couple of my professors as well as my clin ed coordinator at the hospital for advice. They all gave me a couple of things to look over that I did not in the slightest end up needing.
When I shadowed IP acute, I remember the PT doing sensory testing, MMT, and ROM a lot. Transfers at the neuro hospital were totally different than how we did them at school and for me, were easier to learn as I went with my CI helping me as needed. Oh, and obviously know your vitals.
That probably isn't super helpful but no one else had replied so I figured I would try to throw something out! Good luck!

You are a student because you are learning and aren't suppose to know what to do yet! IP Acute can very by setting, at larger hospitals you might only be in one specific unit, and what you do will depend on what unit it is (could be all ICU, all neuro, all ortho, etc), smaller hospitals tend to be more of a mix. Know your hip precautions, lab values (the red flags of when not to treat), otherwise just be ready to learn! A big thing will be learning to do chart reviews efficiently, expect to learn a zillion acronyms quickly!

Reactions: 1 user
I was a tech in IP acute and I would say know your transfers, how to safely walk a patient, know your vitals and when to not treat, ROM, MMT. Just be prepared that it can be literally anything because it is a hospital and not every patient is happy to be there. I’ve been cursed at, hit at, and gotten every body fluid on me. But, I also had some of the most appreciative patients there too.