ionization energy and electron affinity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Farcus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok i know the general trend but what about their ions?

Say Ca2+, so Ca lost 2 electrons is now at a nobel gas phase so would this mean that a) its ionization is now higher than a normal Ca atom since first Ca2+ is in a nobel gas state, second its in the far right of the periodic table. b) the electron affinity of this is 0 since its in nobel gas state right?

another example Ge1-, so Ge got 1 extra electron. This mean a) its ionionzation energy is less than a normal Ge atom since a normal Ge has 32 proton to hold 32 electrons but now that we got 1 electron which make it harder for proton to hold that extra electron so now its a lot easier ot just stripe that 1 electron electron from Ge1-, and b) its electron affinity will increase since the trend increase left 2 right in a period?

also why is the electron affinity of 1A group higher than 2A group? is it because its a lot easier for 1A to just lose that 1 electron 2 become nobel gas thus it doesn't want to get any electrons?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a hard time understanding your examples but here we go:
Periodic trends 101:
Electron affinity and Ionization energy both increase to the right and to the top.

why?

Because say you have an alkali metal that wants to rid of one electron to get noble has config. All it has to do is lose one electron which is very easy.

Now say you have an alkaline earth metal which has to lose 2 electrons. The first one will be easy, but the second is much more difficult because with the first one gone, it has a much stronger pull on it than it originally did. [taking it a step further, transitions can sometimes lose a third, but its insanely hard and you almost never lose more than 3].

Now analyze that.

For alkali metals, very little energy is required to remove an electrion hence low ionization energy.
For alkaline earth metals, increased energy is required to fully ionize due to extra pull on second electron after the first escapes. Therefore increased energy of ionization.

For electron affinity, since the nucleus has such a strong pull by the third electron, any element with more than three valence electrons is going to want to take electrons rather than lose them due to thermodynamics and energy. Hence that trend.

thanks but I know exactly the trend of the periodic table and why it is. I'm asking for trends for ions trends for ionization and electron affinity. IONS not neutral elements.

just as my example has it, CA2+ is an ion. It lost 2 electrons to be at a noble gas phase electron wise but with 20 protons. So the electron affinity would be zero right? since its at a noble gas phase? and the ionization energy would be very very high since its hard to take away electrons from a cation plus the fact the ion is already at a noble gas phase which is very stable so it doesn't want to change that. Am I right

Members don't see this ad :)
obviously, anything element at a noble gas config (up to a certain AMU amt to which it becomes radioactive) will be happy as to gaining or losing electrons. The next step would be to neutralize the charge by bonding with other elements.