Ionic Bonds vs Coordinate Covalent Bond

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BBBallIsLife

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a question that asked to identify what type of bonds were present in this compound. It was a transition metal with a +2 charge and it was interacting with four anionic compounds (the overall charge of the metal-ion complex was +2). The answer was that the bonds were coordinate covalent, and I am kind of confused why they were ionic. I would give specifics of the names and compounds, but don't want to give any spoilers. Can someone brush up the difference between the two?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In an ionic bond, the electrons aren't shared; in a coordinate, covalent bond, the electrons are shared (covalent bond), but the electrons that are being shared solely come from one atom. I would look back to the problem and see if you can tell whether the electrons are being shared, and if so, where they are coming from- based on the answer, seems that the electrons are only coming from the transition metal, thus making a coordinate covalent bond.

With ionic bonds, the quick thing you want to look for is separation of charge by atom. So something like NaCl where Na+ and Cl- have completely separated charges. A coordinate covalent bond (e.g. metal triphenylphosphines) don't have that full separation of charge and so don't have as major of electrostatic interactions.