IO Psychology/psychometrics path

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

guggenheim

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I'm about to start a psychology degree and I'm exploring areas of interest to me.

I'm really interested in IQ tests/personality tests and from the small amount of data I have been able to find, it seems that the branch of psychology that deals with this area is IO psych. Is this correct? I'm also interested in psychoanalysis, but I really don't think I want to deal with people in that type of situation, and I'm even less enthusiastic about forensic and clinical. Is there anyone else who finds the field of intelligence really interesting? There seems to be very little information on psychometricians (which as I understand it, are the poeple who develop/score tests.) I'm not sure if they come under the IO umberella, though.

Are there good ops for IO psychs in the market? I haven't been to any career presentations on campus, so I don't have any knoiwledge of how they can progress/ job market etc.How much can IO's make? From all that I have read here at SDN they make the most of all psychologists (but that doesn't really say a lot as there is such a huge range of salaries.)

I have done a ton of IQ tests, personality tests and career tests, and people's careers and why they chose them fascinate me. Heh. As I was writing this post, I came across an article in the NY Times about psychometricians and how they make six figures (200k is quoted.) I don't know if this (as I said before) would be under the heading of IO.

Really the reason why I made this post is because I hope that there is an IO psych who could weigh in with feelings/experience that may be useful. (I hope I'm not asking too much. :))

Thanks to all.

Link to the NYTimes article http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/05/e...fec0c3772&ei=5090&partner=rssuserland&emc=rss

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
IO probably has some perasonality screening and vocational type tests that are implemented, but this is not the branch that really specializes in cognitive and personality assessment. Thats clinical. The types of "personality tests"? and IQ measures you may have taken are probably not the ones we utilize. Your New York times article is also not accurate.