Invaluable advice to incoming med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
greets fr. nyc said:
whoa!! chalklette!

oh my, you've rolled up 3.25 years of med school all in one gulp!
first things first... step by step.
here are a few fundamental and highly effective ways to get in tune... ... ...

Awesome post greets. I'll go check these books out. I've seen them in the bookstore, and heard other people recommend them, but you elucidate specifically what is necessary in them before medical school starts.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

A few things to add to an extensive list or reiterate:

First year/second:
-Don't run out and buy a bunch of texts. If you can't resist the urge to buy something, buy First Aide for the USMLE. Then spend some time browsing the bookstores and figure out what books you like for review. Text books in general are a waste. No one has time.

-Don't even think about step 1 until you are almost done with second year.

-Take all advice (including myown) with a grain of salt. different things work for different people. Find what works for you and go with it. Some people don't go to class at all, others do. Some like outlines, some do wierd color coded highlighting. Do what works.

-No patient asks for your med school GPA. Most of us went to med school to be good doctors, not to get straight a's. Keep this in mind. Just because you can regurgitate the entire Krebs cycle in detail doesn't mean you are goign to be able to help a family decide if they should withdraw care for thier mom/grandma. Or that you will know how to treat DKA.

-there are no bad med schools. Only bad med students.

-Keep an open mind regarding specialty. You never really know what is going to appeal to you during 3rd year. You may end up hating what you thought youd love and loving what you thought you'd hate.

-Find a mentor, and not someone who is necessarily doing what you want to do. But someone you trust, who you can talk to. Who can tell you that even though you are miserable because exams are next week and your love left you and Buffy was cancelled, that you will be done soon with this part and soon taking care of patients.

-Realize that you will have to make some sacrifices but that you don't have to sacrifice EVERYTHING. YOu will soon hate your life if you do this.

-Enjoy your time off during the summer. KEY! Travel, see family, go to the beach... enjoy.

3rd/4rth year:

-Be nice to nurses but don't let them walk all over you.

-Don't take it personally when a tired overworked resident looses it on you. Its not about you.

-Get comfortable shoes.

-Realize that every specialty has something you can learn from and apply to what interest you. All specialties are valid and important. If we all wanted to be cardiologists or surgeon's, we would be in a lot of trouble.

-Get one review book for each rotation. Pick one that has a format you like. Some people like outlines, some like text. Ignore what is most popular. Just go to the bookstore and pick them up and look at them.

-Rotations are team dependent. And luck. Just accept this fact.

-Bringing baked goods never hurts to boost morale.

-Dont Goon people. You jsut look like a fool.

-NEVER be embarrassed to say you don't know something. Remember, you are there to learn. if you knew everything, you wouldn't have to go to medical school. In that same vain: if you don't understand something, ask someone to explain it.

-A good awnser if you don't know: 'I don't know. I'll look that up." Then look it up and bring an article in. Or ask a question about what you read if you didn't understand part of it.

-The same advice for med school applications holds for residency. Its not just your scores or gpa. Its you letters and how you interview and essay. Go with your gut. Pick a residency program that fits your personality.

okay, I have rambled enough....

Reactions: 1 users
Ya know, if any of ya want to make some serious $$$, you could probably write a book on this and sell it to nervous MS0s =)

PS... if you dont, i will... itll just take a couple more years though ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
ditto. great post.

good luck on your SECOND year of residency!
may you do much good.

1) The minute you admit that you don't know everything, things get easier for you. this is for life in general, also.
2) I think someone already said this but at some point you will ask yourself why on earth you are doing this and remember that although you will be doing some mixture of it all you will not be spending all of your medical career studying biochem or any of the other hellatious courses they put you through. at least not how it is presented in med school. for me the answer came after one particularly hellatious biochem test. i had my first preceptorship that afternoon so i was reminded why i am doing this and all of a sudden that biochem test didn't matter.
3)Respice Finem- keep the end in view.

Thanks guys. And thank goodness, I only have about 6 more days until my PGY1 year is over... wOOt!

I mean to post my personal favorite books:

USMLE for the Step1
Underground clinical vignettes (wish I had learned about theses first year!) for step one (and then step 2 later...)

Other than that, go and look at books. I personally hated the blue book review series....

Reactions: 1 user
take all advice with a grain of salt.

my class relied too heavily on what the 2nd years were telling us about exams and study techniques. we caught on too late when we found we were being tested differently with a new emphasis on clinical correlations. beware.

What does it mean to "pimp" during rotations?

BklynWill said:
What does it mean to "pimp" during rotations?

to "pimp" = 1) to "probe" another person's knowledge :eek: = to ask a junior person questions (often at rapid fire speed) pertaining to medical subject matter. may be random factoids or related to patient's issue at hand.
2) to humiliate; to beat down

eg: "why does that bloody attending keep pimping me like there's no tomorrow?! he already knows my clinical experience is nil! friggin' annoyin!"

eg: "though painful sometimes, when the surgical resident pimps you, it sinks in and you really learn and, more importantly, it sticks in your mind"

someone told me "dont' listen to the med students in your class...they are all full of ****." I totally agree...if I have questions, I will ask upperclassmen.

greets fr. nyc said:
eg: "though painful sometimes, when the surgical resident pimps you, it sinks in and you really learn and, more importantly, it sticks in your mind"
So in this case, to be pimped is beneficial? :D ;)

I'd have to agree since, in order to avoid further embarrassment, so you'll be more thorough when the next attack occurs. ;) But they know that you don't know, and it's better to say "I dunno" than to make an educated guess (I think that's been echoed several times here).

mfred said:
1. take it in stride. it is 4 years long, one grade, and especially one test, will neither make you a great or a poor doctor.

2. do what works for you. go to class, if it doesn't help, don't go. Read the text, if it doesn't help, stop. This applies to all things that you will be told you should do in school

3. with regards to number 2, once you decide what works, do it and don't look back. don't feel bad either for not studying enough, for not going to class, or for not reading. If your grades are good enough for you, then that is all that matters.

4. don't compete. just do what you are happy with.

5. enjoy life. med school is actually a blessing. if you think of it as some terrible burden you have the wrong attitude.

6. take everything your classmates say with a grain of salt. they are not just trying to destroy you (most of the time) it is just there are too many anal people in med school and if you get caught up in every crazy little thing you will become freaked out. Just take it in stride. rarely are things as difficult as them seem. and, by the way, if things seem easy they are usually not as easy as they seem.

i couldn't have said this better myself. i generally did my own thing in terms of studying my first year, but made sure i kept in contact w/friends to laugh and relax. just remember that the most important thing for BOTH your well-being and success in life is your sanity. if someone around you seems "toxic", like an extremely negative person, a cocky gunner or a basket-case, stay away from them!!! you will do and feel best if you maintain your sanity and take everything in stride.

Members don't see this ad :)
good stuff for you incoming O7ers...

this is really good stuff. thanks to everybody for sharing their experiences.

The best way to learn gross anatomy for me was with an atlas open next to the cadaver during the late hours.

For histology, review a lot of slides over and over again. You might think it's boring but it will help you a LOT for path (probably the most important class in the academic years).

Biochem: I really don't have any tips for this. It's a tough course since you will have to memorize tons of pathways. But it is important for your step I, so don't neglect it.

Embryo: Interesting class but meh. Just pass it. When you take step I, you'll hve like 3-4 questions from this subject, so don't lose too much sleep over it.

I am not sure if this has already been said, but SPEND YOUR TIME LEARNING. That should be your motto for surviving the basic science years. Different people learn in different way, so find what works for you. Ignore everyone else's methods of learning. This includes teacher suggestions, classmate suggestions, etc. If you learn gross anatomy best by sitting in a coffee shop with an atlas and a textbook and get nothing out of lab, then go sit in your coffee shop and don't listen to the nay-sayers. I'm not saying you shouldn't at least try what other people say, but if it doesn't work for you then you should not keep doing it. And do not feel guilty about skipping class, etc. I could learn 10X more in medical school with a quiet room and a pile of the right textbooks with a good syllabus telling me what chapters to learn. Other people I know learn 10X more by sitting in class. So do what works for you!!!

Oh, and have some fun too!

A few things to add to an extensive list or reiterate:

-Keep an open mind regarding specialty. You never really know what is going to appeal to you during 3rd year. You may end up hating what you thought youd love and loving what you thought you'd hate.

-Find a mentor, and not someone who is necessarily doing what you want to do. But someone you trust, who you can talk to. Who can tell you that even though you are miserable because exams are next week and your love left you and Buffy was cancelled, that you will be done soon with this part and soon taking care of patients.

-Realize that every specialty has something you can learn from and apply to what interest you. All specialties are valid and important. If we all wanted to be cardiologists or surgeon's, we would be in a lot of trouble.

Awesome advice. To build on it.

1. Recognize that no matter how sure you are about what you want to do in years 1 and 2, half of you will change your minds. Just among my friends I have Med/Peds-->Gen Surg, EM-->ENT, Med-->Gen Surg, Peds-->Neurosurg! These were all people who were "sure" about what they wanted to do as M1/2s. That said, I am a big proponent of researching specialties early and often.

2. Find a mentor, find a mentor, find a mentor. Especially as you get closer to making the decision about what you want to go into. If you are coming towards the end of your 3rd year and have not talked to an advisor in your chosen field, you might be in trouble.

3. Resist the temptation to act as if every specialty other than your favorite is somehow worthless. Like roja said, if everyone wanted to do Radiology, you probably wouldn't be competititve enough to match.

here's my more tangible advice:
1) all of you are top dogs. but only 10% of you will be the top 10% now. that's why many med schools don't record grades. put grades in perspective

2) there will be dinguses in school who will try to screw you; be wary of these people

3) shadow a lot your first year. try to find out what you might like doing. competitive specialties need early preparation, the earlier you know, the better. if you're med/peds/fp, don't worry too much

4) get into a rhythm. don't do random hours. when you get behind, and you will, random hours won't help getting back on track. keep a schedule and stick to it religiously

5) you will lose friends. you will not keep contact with all your "close" friends from college; accept this now as it makes the transition easier. besides, the closest ones will understand this anyway, and remain friends iwth you

6) your primary priority is study study study. pissed off girlfriends/boyfriends, confused friends, and that college crush who's suddenly single are all secondary now. if you let these things get in the way, you will get behind

7) there is no "big picture". you must learn the details, and every detail

8) beer will disappear, and can emerge only after exams. all you collegiate alcoholics, rehabilitate yourselves now

9) you will get stressed. your vision will go. your health will deteriorate. schedule an hour of gym every other day to keep in shape and avoid this from happening

10) everyone will complain and wonder why we're doing this to ourselves. keep something to look forward to (guys/gals night out, a beer, chocolate cake, movie, sex, whatever you need to keep you going)

ANATOMY:
learn lectures thoroughly. spend as much time studying as you do in the cadaver lab. look at pictures constantly.
BIOCHEMISTRY:
just sit and memorize.
PHYSIOLOGY:
usually more liked since we all have some background.

when you step into medical school, your life changes. it's tough, it's long, and it sucks. only the strong will survive. thats why you are here and your friends aren't. be strong, be focused and you'll get through. everyone eventually does, but the sooner you adjust, the better

the good advice just keeps on comin..... thanks :thumbup:

Loving this thread...it's good stuff.

Question about this one though...

shadow a lot your first year. try to find out what you might like doing. competitive specialties need early preparation, the earlier you know, the better. if you're med/peds/fp, don't worry too much

Can you tell me when this can take place (ie. when do you have the time)?

Can you tell me when this can take place (ie. when do you have the time)?

It depends on the school, but mine has this phony sort of "clinical medicine" class during the first year in which they set you up to shadow docs. Some of the students prefer to shadow plastic surgeons (i.e. stand and watch surgery), but what I think the poster meant was that you should spend more time in community clinicals where you can better get a sense of how a general practitioner interacts with patients. Getting that sort of experience will probably pan out better for you early on.

Naegleria brought up some good points, but I don't obsess over studying that much; and I haven't lost any friends to date. I still work, and I see myself more as an employee who also goes to medical school rather than a stressed-out med student who has no life outside of school. Brain's perspective is pretty typical of most of my classmates, however.

Just don't let your fear of not being Mr./Mrs. AOA ****** your morals or make you forget the fluff you put in your application essay.

Ditto on the pimping discussion. Other med student buzzwords to know are "gunner" and "goon." Neither is a particularly nice label to place on someone.

Favorite non-PC clinical terms: GOMER ("Get out of my ER"), FLK ("Funny looking kid"), WNL (supposedly "Within Normal Limits" but really "We Never Looked"), camper (a kid with a genetic disease for which there is an associated camp)--don't flame me, I didn't make them up.

great advice naegleria! Although I really dont think I've run into the "dingus that tries to screw you" at my school.

2) there will be dinguses in school who will try to screw you; be wary of these people

Out of curiousity, what's your experience with this? Any examples for instance?

great advice naegleria! Although I really dont think I've run into the "dingus that tries to screw you" at my school.

You probably already have, you just didn't know about it because it was behind your back. If not, you will.

:luck:

Now it's time for Biscuit's TOP TEN!!!

1) Study by yourself. you'll feel a "social tug" to study with friends. You'll feel like you're going to miss out on conversation or goofing off. Well you will, and that's a good thing. When it's time to study, study. You can go out with friends later.

2) Live by yourself. Same concerns as above. But when you come home to a messy apartment, there's a little comfort in knowing that it's your mess, you have nobody to be mad at but yourself, and you'll clean it up when you d@mn well please.

3) Take time off. Do NOT study from the time you get out of class to the time you go to bed. I quit trying to do this, and my grades shot up. If you take a break, you'll feel refreshed and more focused. Also, if you try to study for 10 hours, you'll keep doing stupid things like messing around on the internet, chatting via AIM, etc. If you only have 3 hours to study, you'll use them up wisely bc you'll realize you truly don't have time to mess around.

4) Don't compare grades with other people. You'll feel like crap if you passed, but everyone you know did better. Other people will feel like crap if you did better than them. Nothing good will come of it, so don't do it.

5) If you meet someone who can stand your smell, understands that you do indeed have to study, doesn't mind meeting you at the school cafeteria for dinner, and is willing to move two times before settling down, marry them first and ask questions later.

6) Keep in touch with your family. They're the only ones who really care about you and how well you do. They will support you when others say "Just study more." They will also keep things in perspective. After you've talked for 30 minutes about next weeks test, they'll ask you if you're eating your vegetables.

7) Keep in touch with non-med school friends. You can always count on them to talk about something non-med school related. And they'll never stab you in the back for an A.

8) Make sure your friends in med school are really your friends. You can tell the difference.

9) Listen to your parents and try to eat healthy, sleep enough, and exercise. You'll feel better and you'll actually learn while in class or studying.

10) Go out every now and then. I have a classmate, and we go out for a beer every Sunday night. No matter what. Test the next Friday? Doesn't matter. We've missed a couple because I was sick and he had to go to a meeting, but if we're available, we go. Nothing drowns the sorrows like a cold beer and a pool table.

Reactions: 3 users
Biscuit799,
Thanks , i'll have this one printed and posted on my wall :thumbup:

You probably already have, you just didn't know about it because it was behind your back. If not, you will.

:luck:

What's a typical way you get "screwed" in this respect? Is it simply a matter of someone stealing your stuff, gossiping about you, or just discouraging you?

(Thanks Biscuit799! That looks like a pretty cool list.)

I liked biscuit's advice. and i'm lovin critical mass' avatars

some more stuff bout questions and what other people said:
the back stabbing happens at certain points. anatomy, when everyone is anal-retentive and scared, some people WILL purposefully teach wrong things to you. that doesn't mean distrust all your classmates. but it is an important thing to look out for. after anatomy, people settle down, become friends, etc. even the really retentive ones quit teaching wrong things, but they pretend not to know answers if you ask them questions. you'll figure it out in due time

it also happens when you have only a few people applying for an ultra-competitive field like, say, plastics. it's not uncommon for one student to badmouth another to a surgeon to score points. this is an important lesson. if you want to show someone else up, DO NOT BADMOUTH THEM. doctors were once students too, and they recognize this as toolishness. instead, outwork them. be more proactive, but don't be an OCD jackass too. you'll learn the line when you begin school. i've had other competitors badmouth me, and doctors actually talk to me about "what their deal is". if you said "theyre anal-retentive" (word of the day), then you're stooping to that level. a more diplomatic answer would be "i'm really surprised he's said that about me, he's been very cordial with me in class and other social events". diplomacy to the doctor, stickin it to the anal-retentive bastardo

anyway, that's a tangent i'm sure most of you will firgure out.
as to losing friends, it depends how many you have, and what terms you are on with them. if you live and die and bleed your heart out to each and every one; yeah, not gonna fly here. i too haven't really lost any friends, but the communication went way down once school started. and theyll never understand why unless theyre here as well.

biscuit said don't study 10 hours in a row at once or you'll waste time. very good advice. but don't let those breaks turn into three hour xbox sessions. mine is an studentdoc forum post. other times it's research, or flipping through NEJM. sometimes i watch part of an operation on OR-live. when you learn to use your breaks constructively, you really start becoming efficient. but i don't know anyone who's been like that from day 1. my first year my break was an episode of family guy. now my breaks are working on research projects that i truly enjoy.

and yes, people study 10 hrs and waste lots of time. that's one thing you have to pick up on immediately. that's why i stress having schedules that you adhere to strictly. for me, i'm up by 5am and in the library by 6am. i'll leave at noon to get lunch, 6pm for dinner. i take ten minute breaks between every lecture i learn. i'm generally done studying by 7-8pm and relax till 10pm by going to the gym, watching a tv show, etc. i'm in bed by 1030. weekends i wake up later and go to bed whenever i want. you need a break! saturday's my break day, sunday's my research day.

also, biscuit's advice on family. family is key in that they are the only people on this planet who truly do care for you. keeping in contact with them on a bi-weekly basis makes you think less about how your normal friends are getting beers right now, and more about how happy your parents are that you're becoming a doctor. yeah yeah, youre in it for yourself, but honestly speaking, that kind of idealistic, lofty sentiment dies in about a month. and making mommy and daddy proud, well, if the motivation comes in little bursts, why not?

in addition, you may be surprised to hear this, but 1st year you have so much free time compared to second year. don't get smashed on friday night. have fun, and try to shadow someone on saturday. have an exam friday? maybe shadow a few hours after the exam. you can still party at night. go to some grand rounds in fields you have interest in.

When i got to school, i had a markerboard hung on my wall with every specialty written out. I crossed things out when I knew for sure i didn't want something. being as open as possible, i only had peds and psych crossed out. i then shadowed, learned more about a field, and checked it if there was interest, or crossed it out if i said no way after shadowing (ie obgyn). within a few months, i knew which grand rounds to go to, who to follow, and who to avoid. by the middle of first year i had research lined up in the fields i was interested in. if you want something competitive, i highly suggest you do this. if you're in school to become a pediatrician, family practitioner, or internal medicine in no particular location, you certainly don't need to do all this. if all you can see yourself doing is ortho, derm, or plastics, i suggest this approach. you'll get exposed to things you may never even have realized you like, and you'll get your connections for research when the time comes.

that brings me to research. again, if you're lookin for something competitive, it's a great idea to get involved. people say don't do it first year. i think you have the most time first year. but that's true ONLY IF YOU GET INTO A SCHEDULE. then you'll know where your free time is and how much time you can put in. second year there are way more lectures and classes and sessions. third year you're in the hospital. fourth year youre applying.

in summation, medical school is tough. your friends will never truly understand until theyre here. but with the right attitude and smart approach, it's possible to do quite well. you just need to prioritize everything in your life, and always keep things in perspective.

example: a friend of mine visited from california on a whim. i didn't know he was in the city till that evening. we were all going to go out. the deadline for an abstract to a national conference was the next day. i stayed in, and worked on it, got it submitted in time. yes, he was pissed at me, but the abstract was selected to be presented as a poster and oral presentation to the society in florida. my friend eventually understood, but if i had missed that deadline...you get the idea

well, that was a long one. good luck to you all, catch ya later

Reactions: 2 users
Hi Guys:

I'm an incoming medical student in Fall 2007 and will be taking a vacation in the summer. Until then (which is in like 80 days), is there anything that you would all recommend? I have been thinking of doing a bit of review but I'm unclear as to what books to use and if there are any other better uses of my time that you would recommend.

Would highly appreciate your comments.

Futuredr

I was just wondering the other day when these type of posts were going to start :laugh: (I'm guilty of doing the same thing last year ;) )

Nothing that you review over the summer will prepare you for the beast you're about to encounter.

In all seriousness: just chill, relax, and enjoy the time off. :)

Hi Guys:

I'm an incoming medical student in Fall 2007 and will be taking a vacation in the summer. Until then (which is in like 80 days), is there anything that you would all recommend? I have been thinking of doing a bit of review but I'm unclear as to what books to use and if there are any other better uses of my time that you would recommend.

Would highly appreciate your comments.

Futuredr

I wrote a nice long answer to this and then my computer and my internet conspired to get rid of it. The high point was this: read Complications by Atul Gawande and Hot Lights Cold Steel by Michael Collins. Nothing else. Any "studying" you try to do will be a waste of your time. Trust me. And trust everyone else who will say the same thing.

Drink beer, visit the beach, bang your girlfriend, and above all RELAX! Don't even buy your textbooks until day 1.

Really?? I will be starting med school this fall as well and Ive been out of school for three years and Im just thinking that surely there must be SOMETHING for me to review.....not like I really could seeing how I am traveling through South America till this summer.......but clearly I need things to obsess about that I cannot do anything about.

I´ve read on other boards where med students say that the best use of this time is to chill out....and I trust and understand where thats coming from but don´t some students start more prepared than others, or is that just a common misconception by us eager beavers?

Just enjoy your summer, bro. Do something that will be a memorable and worthwhile experience.

OP, dont listen to these guys. They don't want your progress. I have heard it is a very good idea to have the entire Krebs cycle memorized before medschool. With that in your arsenal, the first 2 years and step 1 will be a piece of cake. It will also be great if you could purchase your own personal cadaver, and get some hands on disection experience before medschool starts.

For the sake of your own sanity, resist every urge to "get ahead" or "review some material". Those people that are "more prepared" than others are people that have taken these classes in those masters programs designed to get you into med school. You'll be just fine without them if you put in your time and study your face off.

You have a few precious days of freedom left before your life is consumed by med school. Live while you still can, because you'll regret not doing so once you're up to your a$$ in pre-clinical studying. When you're hallucinating at 3AM while on call for your medicine clerkship 3rd year, would you rather it be about that time the summer before your first year you reviewed Nitrogen Metabolism or the time you did (insert something awesome and rediculous).

Over the entry to every medical campus they should have the wonderful line from the Inferno: "Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate". It sounds less desperate in Renaissance Italian.

Darnnit!! I just ordered the premium edition cadaver off of ebay and the glue is drying from me wallpapering my room with the Krebs cycle!! Oh dios mio!

...okokok I get it, no pouring over biochem books or attempting UMSLE questions in the next few months. Plenty of time for that. ........ I can´t say I wont be tempted though.

Study nothing. Have tons of fun over the summer, pretend med school isn't even coming. In the week before classes start, if you start to get antsy and want to get into the medschool mood, read something medi-inspirational, like Walk on Water. Do not study though until Day 1 of classes. Before that you won't know WHAT to study, and after that you'll have little time for anything else!

Ok, you'll have time for more than just studying. But believe me you'll study enough.

If you're determined to stay inside and read, I say House of God and medkid blogs - there was a thread awhile back with some.

However, the best way is to travel around and visit friends - sponge off them for couch space, and make them feel better with gems like "I'm so glad I have friends like you who helped me get this far."

Really?? I will be starting med school this fall as well and Ive been out of school for three years and Im just thinking that surely there must be SOMETHING for me to review.....not like I really could seeing how I am traveling through South America till this summer.......but clearly I need things to obsess about that I cannot do anything about.

I´ve read on other boards where med students say that the best use of this time is to chill out....and I trust and understand where thats coming from but don´t some students start more prepared than others, or is that just a common misconception by us eager beavers?

Why if you've read all the other posts about this would you decide to ask the question again, did you expect that the answer would be different for you, really? I'm not even going to repeat my advice for newbies because you apparently have already read it.

...but don´t some students start more prepared than others, or is that just a common misconception by us eager beavers?
You can't change genetics.
If you learned it before (in undergrad), you will retain enough to remember some words in med school. You aren't going to learn anything new the summer before med school, and I would venture a guess that for many people, the majority of medical school is new material.

You could work on making your handwriting worse. Or you could just get over yourself.

:thumbup: Especially point 2, 3, and 4. I'm not big on beer... yet... Since I think most beer tastes like urine and I have no money.

You definitely need to avoid the following: Budweiser, Coors, Schlitz, Pabst, and any light beer.

Move quickly to something with flavor: Guinness, Molson, Dos Equis, Becks dark.....

For the ultimate...try a Xingu. It's a Brazilian beer. Definitely not urine.