Introduction/ Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureOTMax

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey All! My name is Max, I’m a sophomore biology student at Rowan U on a pre-vet track....Currently, I have an atrocious 2.5 GPA, but this semester I am on track to earn the first 4.0 semester of my college career! (Turns out I do pretty well when I wear my hearing aids in class LOL).... I am scheduled to take the GRE in Spring 2021 and apply to schools that fall. In the mean time, I have no plan to slow down on earning perfect grades... My questions to you guys are has anyone had a similar experience and still kept hope for vet school? And do vet schools really look at the curve your grades take? I’m worried my first year of school killed any chance of me getting accepted. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

It’s possible. I never had a 2.5, but I had below a 3.0 until my second semester sophomore year. You’re going to want to put as much distance between your bad grades and your good ones as possible. Also look at how many pre-reqs you’ve already taken and now you did in them. If they’re B’s, it’s not worth retaking them. If it’s only one or two C’s/C+’s, it’s probably not worth retaking them. But if it’s bio 1/2, chem 1/2, and anything else for example, you may want to retake them. Your cumulative GPA will not do you any favors by the time you apply in your senior year if you go that route. Even if you get a 4.0 every single semester (so this one and the next two) until you apply, that still only puts you at a 3.25 if every semester has the same number of credits.

Your last-45 will be your best GPA, which is good for showing a trend. Your science/pre-req GPA will depend on what I said above. If you retake pre-reqs you did poorly in (if any), you’ll have a higher pre-req GPA, especially in schools that do grade replacement. But it’s difficult to retake courses if you’re going to be applying in your senior year. You’ll also want to boost your application by having good experiences. This goes for anyone, but especially applicants with mediocre academics. Varied experience in lots of fields is best, plus lots of hours to show you have really gotten your feet wet. That’s how I did it. Everyone has their own way of getting in, but as someone who had mediocre academics including a mediocre science GPA, but still got in on my first try, this is the route I took. I crushed my last 45 hours, got my cumulative GPA to place that wouldn’t disqualify me (and was okay with grade replacement), had tons of hours, and knew a lot of clinical things which seemed to impress interviewers. Not everyone does this, and people will say you don’t need to do this. You might not. I felt that I did.

Don’t be set on applying in your senior year either. If you want to retake courses, get lots of experience, study for the GRE, and not have all of that impact doing well in school, taking a gap year can be beneficial. I personally would recommend that over applying with mediocre stats all around, getting rejected, and having to apply again anyway. Not to mention, vet school applications take a lot of time and energy, which can impact your ability to well in school, which can impact your ability to get in the next year. It’s a vicious cycle.

And remember, this is just my experience. I’m anticipating people quoting parts of this and saying “well I didn’t do that and I got in” or “you really don’t need to do that if you bla bla bla.” Sure, whatever. This is what I did to get in.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I did the math with my advisor, so I should have a 3.6 if I maintain a 4.0 for the rest of undergrad...I have 400 hours of experience under my belt right now, and I’m expecting to have 1500+ when I graduate undergrad, and hoping to add a couple more internships in there... I’ve completed one at the Philadelphia Zoo so far... what was your GRE score if you don’t mind me asking? I am planning on taking the test next spring and am studying for it now.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you! I did the math with my advisor, so I should have a 3.6 if I maintain a 4.0 for the rest of undergrad...I have 400 hours of experience under my belt right now, and I’m expecting to have 1500+ when I graduate undergrad, and hoping to add a couple more internships in there... I’ve completed one at the Philadelphia Zoo so far... what was your GRE score if you don’t mind me asking? I am planning on taking the test next spring and am studying for it now.
If you’re planning on doing all of those cool things by the time you graduate, are you considering holding off on applying until you graduate? Because I think that would give you the best chance. It sounds like you have a good plan.

I got I think a 319 on the GRE, and a 5.0 on the writing. It was a stronger point of my application. Many many schools don’t consider it anymore, but Penn does and I think that helped me out to some degree. Some people really hate standardized tests. I usually do well enough on them and while they’re not perfect, I like them.

I think the internship at the Philly zoo will really benefit you. That’s a cool internship to have done, and the Philly zoo is one of the best in the country. And if you’re applying to Penn, I think it’ll look really good.

If you’re planning on doing all of those cool things by the time you graduate, are you considering holding off on applying until you graduate? Because I think that would give you the best chance. It sounds like you have a good plan.

I got I think a 319 on the GRE, and a 5.0 on the writing. It was a stronger point of my application. Many many schools don’t consider it anymore, but Penn does and I think that helped me out to some degree. Some people really hate standardized tests. I usually do well enough on them and while they’re not perfect, I like them.

I think the internship at the Philly zoo will really benefit you. That’s a cool internship to have done, and the Philly zoo is one of the best in the country. And if you’re applying to Penn, I think it’ll look really good.

Absolutely I’m considering anything that could help me get into school! I do ok at standardized tests, and I’m trying to get more of a clinical understand like you did before through shadowing and working at a hospital. Penn and Georgia would be dreams, I just didn’t think they’d consider me with my retakes and low first year grades.

Absolutely I’m considering anything that could help me get into school! I do ok at standardized tests, and I’m trying to get more of a clinical understand like you did before through shadowing and working at a hospital. Penn and Georgia would be dreams, I just didn’t think they’d consider me with my retakes and low first year grades.
Like everyone else on here, I’d recommend going to a cheaper school if you have the option. Since you go to Rowan, I’m assuming you’re an NJ resident so none of your options will necessarily be cheap. But cross that bridge when you come to it. In the meantime, Penn absolutely accepts some students who don’t have stellar academics. It’s a very holistic admissions process. I think of it as a pool of attributes. Academics, experience, personal statements, letters of rec, etc. Academics is often the largest contributor to that pool. But you can fill it up with other great things. Sure, no one will beat out the person who has a 4.0, 5,000 hours of various vet experience, volunteered at 20 different places and was on the executive board for 10 different clubs. But very few of those people exist. In reality, you’ll find a lot of people with high grades and low experience, or lower grades and high experience. Grades will get you scholarships though, (plus schools obviously focus a lot on it for admissions) so absolutely don’t discount that. I just mean that if you don’t have a 3.7-4.0 (which I didn’t come close to having), you still stand a chance. Especially if your bad grades were early on and a thing of the past.

Seems like you got some good advice so far. All I can say is, don’t bet on getting a 4.0 every semester when calculating your future gpa. Of course that’s the goal, but as you get into the higher level courses, it does get more difficult. Hey, if you get a 4.0 for the rest of your undergrad, kudos to you! Instead, work your damn hardest because you’re climbing a hill right now and instead of focusing on academics in regards to vet school, get some solid experience. The zoo internship is a great start and it’s stuff like that, that will make you stand out. Also, when you do apply and if your last 45 semester hours is strong, apply to schools that focus on that specific area. I also applied to only oos schools (from NY and I didn’t want to waste an app on Cornell) so I had to apply smart. If you live in Jersey or another state that doesn’t have a vet school, I would 100% research what vet schools have a lot of oos seats (Ohio, Illinois, tufts, midwestern, Iowa, lmu), which ones allow you to change your state residency/get in state tuition after year 1, and then factor in your gpa when the time comes to apply (overall, science and your last 45). Don’t count yourself out at all, there are a lot of factors that go into an acceptance and you still have awhile to go. Shoot for the best grades you can achieve without killing yourself and get some diverse experience and you should be fine!

Reactions: 1 users