Intro Physics or Organic Chemistry over the summer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

samantharoberts

Reaction score
Hi all,
So I am currently trying to decide between taking organic chemistry or physics over the summer. I am a rising junior and I took orgo in the spring but had to withdraw after midterms. My first exam did not go as well as I planned and trying to get my grade in the class to a descent, passing grade was almost impossible. I have to take a science class over the summer in order to stay on track for graduation but I'm not sure which is the best choice. The brightside with orgo is that I would only have to take the lecture, since I already completed the lab this semester. The downside is that the course is about 5 weeks long and I feel that regardless the information is going to be crammed in.

Any advice?
I should also add that both classes will be offered online for this summer.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,
So I am currently trying to decide between taking organic chemistry or physics over the summer. I am a rising junior and I took orgo in the spring but had to withdraw after midterms. My first exam did not go as well as I planned and trying to get my grade in the class to a descent, passing grade was almost impossible. I have to take a science class over the summer in order to stay on track for graduation but I'm not sure which is the best choice. The brightside with orgo is that I would only have to take the lecture, since I already completed the lab this semester. The downside is that the course is about 5 weeks long and I feel that regardless the information is going to be crammed in.

Any advice?

I think you answered your own question ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

Any advice?

Remember that you will need Organic 1 and 2 as well as Physics 1 and 2. (assuming your school is on the semester system.)

Compressing Organic 1 (or 2) into 5 weeks is possible, but it will be very fast paced. If you do choose that option, you should dedicated the majority of your time to the course. And I do not recommend taking more than one course during that 5 week period. (I did have one student complete my online organic chemistry 1 course in about 3 weeks...but she was a special case.)

If you choose to not take those courses during the summer, I would recommend that you pre-study the material so that you have a better chance of doing well when you do take the course officially.

take orgo. orgo is better as a class on its own not balancing it with others. just go hard and do all practice problems and make ankis of reactions and reagents. you should get an A or close to it, if you give it good effort.

physics is also more fundamental. orgo does less for understanding medicine in a clinically useful way. sure it helps a bit with pharm but not in a hugely clinically useful way. and a lot of that help from it is just basic chem which is also taught in gen chem. basic physics does a lot more with understanding pathophysiology which IMO is the most important subject for creating a framework for memorizing all of the little details you eventually have to know in medicine.

I took Orgo over the summer in 5 week stints. While I thought it was very doable without the lab, if you were already struggling during the semester with the content, you will most likely experience the same thing during an accelerated version. Personally, I don’t recommend taking physics over the summer. I consider myself to be mathematically inclined, and physics was one of my favorite classes, but I worked incredibly hard in that class for an A. It obviously will depend on your professor, but I spent a few hours a day doing practice problems. I think a 5 week course of physics would be a nightmare.

Reactions: 1 user