Intrathecal Methylprednisolone for PHN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dhcofc

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an 88yo patient with severe PHN. Has failed the usual suspects: Lyrica, TCA, gabapentin, capsaicin, opioids, Lidoderm. He is losing weight, has become inactive and is in severe pain. I've come across research about intrathecal Methylprednisolone injection and some studies look to be quite effective. Have any of you done this? I have never injected IT steroids and know about concerns with additives causing arachnoiditis, etc.

Can anyone comment on whether IT steroids should be considered for this refractory severe PHN pain?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• PHN.jpg
    PHN.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 87
Haven’t done it and would not do it. Would try QUTENZA first. From an interventional Steve point I would recommend an intercostal nerve block a transfer aminal epidural to get the medicine on the DRG and then I would consider neuromodulation.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
A colleague of mine has tried the ITN steroid thing with no luck... Epidurals never seem to work for this either. I second Qutenza patch. I like ESP block, faster than intercostals, I do it under fluoro. Agree with DCS if failing to derive benefit.

you did say that you tried opioids. did you try Cymbalta or nucynta? there is some risk in an 88 year old, but you said he tried TCAs already, so...

intercostal nerve block would be my next step though with possible RFA. and failing that, SCS.

if you are going to use intrathecal steroids - stick to dex.

Reactions: 1 user
intercostal nerve block would be my next step though with possible RFA. and failing that, SCS.
I've not done intercostal RF although, I've thought about it for a few patients lately... are you placing these under US? Ever try pulsed or just go straight to thermal? Multiple lesions along the nerve? Time and dose recs?

I've not done intercostal RF although, I've thought about it for a few patients lately... are you placing these under US? Ever try pulsed or just go straight to thermal? Multiple lesions along the nerve? Time and dose recs?
Cervical settings on machine. I do pulsed RF for non cancer pain first. If not 6mo or more , then thermal.
Under fluoroscopy.

Reactions: 1 users
Problem is insurance. Pulsed not usually covered, so pulse and do homeopathic thermal for billing.

How did you get the DRG approved? I'm getting trained on DRG next month and have a few PHN patients that I think it could help with.

Problem is insurance. Pulsed not usually covered, so pulse and do homeopathic thermal for billing.

How did you get the DRG approved? I'm getting trained on DRG next month and have a few PHN patients that I think it could help with.
Why not just stim em?