Intrathecal baclofen trial question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GottaHaveIt

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

When doing these trials do you have a specifc level that you will target, such as L2-3 or does it not tend to matter?

Members don't see this ad.

What are you treating? That sounds fine for lower limb, but may want to go a little higher (T12 - L1) for where you anticipate implant tip would be.

IT access should generally be done in a cistern, so I would counsel you to stay at or below the conus unless you also want to treat the spinal cord injury from an intraparenchmyal injection/needle. You could target the cervical cistern, but I'm not sure you want to deal with the small amount of thoracic CSF.

Regardless, 50-75 mcg of baclofen spreads around pretty well and gets stuck in the CSF. It'll hit the legs/back first if you access low, but within 2 hours or so, you'll know for things a little higher up.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)

IT access should generally be done in a cistern, so I would counsel you to stay at or below the conus unless you also want to treat the spinal cord injury from an intraparenchmyal injection/needle. You could target the cervical cistern, but I'm not sure you want to deal with the small amount of thoracic CSF.

Regardless, 50-75 mcg of baclofen spreads around pretty well and gets stuck in the CSF. It'll hit the legs/back first if you access low, but within 2 hours or so, you'll know for things a little higher up.

Better answer. I don't do pump trials and implants, but I've inherited a number of pumps that I manage. Comment above was based on where I see catheter tip - not necessarily best practice.

I'm no expert but back in academics 20+ years ago and even further back in history during fellowship would be asked to do this frequently for SCI, etc. Initially all single shot trial via lumbar access at L3-4 or L4-5 (no imaging). Later started using a catheter to facilitate giving serially higher doses over a few days. Never requested to target any higher.