interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlee

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone received any interview invites? i'm still waiting for my first one...

Members don't see this ad.

when did you turn in your application? i applied last year around end of september and received invitations about 2-3 weeks once i turned in my application. be patient and doing a follow up call later on during the application process may help.

drlee,
Dude relax. The applications only went out on Tuesday. I think many of the program coordinators are on vacation before the big rush. I call a few and that was the case. How many programs did you apply to? Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah...i need to chill. i spoke with a PD today and she told me they won't send out interview invites until they have a certain number of complete applications....

I received my first interview this morning from the University of Florida. They downloaded my application on Wednesday and sent me an email today.

Hope things are going well for all of you.

HOG

congrats house of gas - U of F's rep is getting stronger!!
remember guys to check out scutwork.com to get some interesting info on the different programs you hear from... it is worth it.

House of gas,
You said that you got an interview invitation to UF? When is the interview? Was the inteview in the same email stating that they received your application?
I recieived that email but no mention of an interview. It was more like a "We'll wait and see" email. :confused:
I think that this process will help with my character building and maybe give me some humility.

Anyway, congrats on UF interview. Is that one of your top programs?
Good luck the rest of the way.

Just wondering informally what you all have heard about the UF program, apart from that listed on Scutwork.

I turned my application in on Tues and got a e-mail from Hopkins offering me an interview on Thurs. But now on Friday I see that only about 2/3 of the programs to which I have applied have even uploaded my app.

I got an e-mail from UNC today telling me they received my app. and would let me know in a couple of weeks. The e-mail was pretty much a form letter.

All in all, I wouldn't sweat it about not hearing from programs too early. I think the Hopkins invite was a little unusual.

Good luck to everyone. Remember, this isn't Ortho or Derm, we will all get spots somewhere.

Hey all,

The email I received from UF had a list of interview dates and a contact person to set up an interview. As was the case with gaseous, I think it definitely is the exception to the rule as I have not heard from any other programs at all except for UNC, and that was the same form letter mentioned in the previous post.

As for what I know about UF's program, my only source of info is a junior faculty member at my school, who was chief resident there two or three years ago. He says the program is excellent and is very family oriented. He also said he was very well prepared for his future in academic medicine.

It is still very early in this process and things will definitely pick up pace in the next few weeks. Good luck to all of you.

HOG

Can anyone who receives interview offers from schools post it so we can all find out which programs are sending out invites. Thanks.

In addition, as far as I know, UF has a great reputation. The only reason I didn't apply there is that you have to do CV in Houston at the Texas Heart Institute. Being from Houston that wasn't a big deal but I didn't want to leave my wife for a couple of months just to get CV training. Though the Texas Heart Institute is a terrific institution. Some of the best heart surgeons in the nation are there.

I received an interview invitation today from UNC via snail mail.

I just got MGH and hopkins today by carrier pigeon. I got duke yesterday, someone threw a brick through my window with a note attached to it with my interview date. I'm still waiting to hear from hollywood upstairs medical school though. Just kidding, don't get all pissed congrats on all the interviews, good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Got interview e-mail from Columbia this morning (9/12).

I also have gotten the Columbia Interview today, 9/12 in the morning.

This is a good thread. Keep on posting people. I think it gives a good people good ideas.

:D

Hi,
Is everyone getting interview invitation via e-mail or as anyone received an invitation via the regular post? Thnak you.

For those who've received interviews, who among you are FMG's? MGH, Columbia, Hopkins, etc....these are all big-name schools!!

UAB via snail mail 9/11

U of Michigan via e-mail 9/15

U. Michigan 9/16

University of Chicago - 09/10 by email

UPENN via e-mail 9/17

gaseous,

congrats...seems you're getting interviews at the top programs. are you an AMG or an IMG?

Thanks....AMG

Hey,
Congrats on the Interviews with the top programs. I got a question for you. Is your application fully uploaded to ERAS? For example, I'm still waiting on two of my letters (both from Anesthesia).

So basically, did you get the interviews purely based on USMLE, grades and personal statements?

Thanx.

:confused:

U. Rochester (NY) via e-mail 9/17

Columbia with CAF, PS, USMLE. Hopkins, Upenn, Umich with CAF, PS, USMLE, trans, LORx2. Talked with a few programs, sounds like they need atleast 1 LOR if rest of stuff is in.

UVA via e-mail 9/18

Thanx for the info, voltron. Good luck on the interview trail.

Btw, what's the earliest date for the interview that you got.

Among those who have received interviews, who are American medical graduates, who are IMG's?

UPENN last week. They offered to put me up in a hotel. No LOR's in yet.

Wake Forest via e-mail 9/20

University of Michigan....sometime last week.

Dartmouth 9/19 via e-mail

Whew!! Finally got my 1st invite...Albert Einstein in NY!

UPENN 9/22 via email (CAF; USMLE I+II; 1LOR)

Emory via Phone call 9/22. Why phone call? I don't know :confused:

Hopkins, via email this morning. ERAS in one week. Complete except for 2 LOR's. Interestingly, I am not sure if Hopkins has a cut off for Step 1 (I assume they do). Assuming they do, I am sure I scored below it for step 1 and then above it for step 2. Maybe if you bump your score significantly they will waive the step 1 screen. whatever the case, word.

hey for those who're getting interviews early at the top places, congrats. Question... since some/most applications aren't complete at the point (missing LOR's dean's letters..etc) does it mean that the programs screen you by your STep 1? How important do you think Step 1 is overall? For those who got interviews, can you give me a range of Step 1 scores so I get a sense. My step 1 is mediocre (national mean)

thanks

I've received interview offers from 4 top tier schools. Two have offered to put me up in a hotel. I have only 1 letter submitted. I am positive they are using board scores as a cut-off. I scored a 250. Good luck

I agree with above. I believe all of my interviews have come from step 1: 256

Though my application is complete, I've heard the programs rarely even read the personal statements and such until the day before the interview.

I know a lot of programs have rough cutoffs in order to limit the number of apps they have to sort through. My home program cuts at 215.

But don't fret, my buddy has received several interviews with average board scores.

Hotel accommodations seem to be the norm. I haven't had a single place out of 8 that didn't offer.

Good luck all...

From my experiences last year going through this process, I would tell all of you to NOT stress out if you haven't heard from a lot of programs yet. I noticed that the top tier programs tend to have a standard screening which is pretty much based on scores and therefore are able to offer interviews very early in the game.

It really is dependent on individual programs, but the bulk of the programs really didnt' start responding until after dean's letters and transcripts were in. Usually the interviews start flooding in around mid-October and into November.

If you haven't heard from a program that you have applied to by the end of November, I would call those specific programs and ask politely what your application status is. You never know, you could be offered an interview on the spot because someone else cancelled.

Above all, dont' get discouraged! Especially by this forum. Last year all the posts seem to come from people who all had awesome scores and millions of interviews. But that's not the average applicant out there. So just stay focused and be positive.

Thank you so much for the encouragement!!!!!!!!!

UT Southwestern via email 9/26