Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jdubya

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it out of line to ask people to type in how many programs applied to / interviews received / rejections received?
x/y/z?

Members don't see this ad.

jdubya said:
Is it out of line to ask people to type in how many programs applied to / interviews received / rejections received?
x/y/z?

you wanna start? :)

i'd be interested in also knowing how many people applied to gen surg programs as back-ups and the status of those apps.

jdubya said:
x/y/z?

40/12/1

Members don't see this ad :)
Plastic surgery
Applied 26
Interviews 6
Rejections 0

General Surgery
Applied 10
Interviews 8 (not going on all eight though)
Rejections 1
Still waiting to hear from 1

Plastic surgery 40/12/1
General Surgery 12/11/0

Plastics 16/3/1
General 20/14/1

Would you all be willing to list the schools you've got interviews - so we can start a running list....???

I'll start:
Washington Univ.
The Ohio State Univ.
UC Davis

Loma Linda
Texas A&M
U of Rochester
Stanford
Med College of Wisconsin
U Michigan
UC Davis

Im starting to dislike the fact that people have interviews at schools I applied to and havent heard from yet. Crud.

Interviews at
Georgetown (rotated there)
Michigan
Northwestern

Rejected
Stanford
UC Davis

13/0/0...crazy, right? btw, 6 of them are TX schools (resident), the other 5 are private schools. *crossing my fingers* also still waiting on one secondary. best of luck to all! :)

Interview Offers:
Rochester
Mount Sinai
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Kentucky
Medical College of Virginia
Wisconsin Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wash U
Texas A&M
UC-Davis
Loma Linda

Rejections
SLU
Stanford
Harvard

Got the phone call from Kentucky today (dec 3-4 or 15-16)
Get the rejection from Harvard today. Darn

Dr troy don't take the harvard rejection too bad. If you are from OK and you got an interview at Northwestern you are a badass. I was a med student there and they (the plastics department) are extremely elitist. Huge bias towards students from Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, Stanford etc. ALL of the residents when I was there were from one of those schools and all were extremely gifted. Pat yourself on the back if you are in that league.

GSresident said:
Dr troy don't take the harvard rejection too bad. If you are from OK and you got an interview at Northwestern you are a badass. I was a med student there and they (the plastics department) are extremely elitist. Huge bias towards students from Harvard, Hopkins, Yale, Stanford etc. ALL of the residents when I was there were from one of those schools and all were extremely gifted. Pat yourself on the back if you are in that league.

Thanks!!!
I needed that compliment after getting the ol' shoot-down from MCOW today, too. I'll be at Northwestern on Dec 3-4

dr. troy said:
Thanks!!!
I needed that compliment after getting the ol' shoot-down from MCOW today, too. I'll be at Northwestern on Dec 3-4

Of course by I was a student there I meant NWU. Its a beautiful hospital and its in the best part of the city. I'm due to visit Chicago again on the 9th of December but not to go to NW. Headed up to U of Chicago. Have a wonderful time there and don't forget to get a slice of Chicago style pizza!

jdubya said:
Interview Offers:
Rochester
Mount Sinai
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Kentucky
Medical College of Virginia
Wisconsin Madison
Medical College of Wisconsin
Wash U
Texas A&M
UC-Davis
Loma Linda

Rejections
SLU
Stanford
Harvard

most of the places that offered you interviews either rejected me or haven't yet contacted me (and we all know what that usually means). the only one on the list that i got as well was cincinnati.

my interviews so far:
northwestern
cincinnati
harvard
umdnj
southern illinois
(plus g-surg interviews)

i can't make sense out of what these programs want....i'm just glad to have ANY interviews at this point.

let the nailbiting continue....

mcindoe said:
most of the places that offered you interviews either rejected me or haven't yet contacted me (and we all know what that usually means). the only one on the list that i got as well was cincinnati.

my interviews so far:
northwestern
cincinnati
harvard
umdnj
southern illinois
(plus g-surg interviews)

i can't make sense out of what these programs want....i'm just glad to have ANY interviews at this point.

let the nailbiting continue....

Yeah, I hear you. How can WashU want to meet you but SLU says no thanks? I went in to our office to reread my Dean's letter to make sure it didn't say anything like "will be a good candidate for all less high profile programs. Ivy league and would like to by ivy league schools, however, should look elsewhere" or "Would fit in well in Texas, California, New York or Wisconsin but not likely to be worthy of a trip to New Jersey."

Keep in mind who wrote your letters. Sometimes its who you know, who wrote your letters, and if the PD likes your PD that plays a role in whether or not you get an interview. Now, if you are the PERFECT candidate that won't matter, and if you SUCK it won't matter, but if you're in between I think it plays a significant role in this field.

jdubya said:
Yeah, I hear you. How can WashU want to meet you but SLU says no thanks?

i think a lot of it comes down to exactly the way you disparage SLU...i'm sure this wasn't intentional and i agree with your logic 100%. however, the folks at SLU probably looked at your application and guessed that you were going to get a s**tload of other interviews that you'd consider more valuable (for what it's worth). and were they correct? absolutely!

these programs are playing us just as much as we're playing them--it's all a matter of strategy. you likely have a damn good application and they know that historically people like you don't choose to go to places like SLU. for all we know, they may have gotten burned one year by inviting the upper eschelon of applicants (the ones who go to 25 other interviews as well) and when it came time to rank, they got screwed (i'm sure you've seen how in some years some spots go unmatched?!). so rather than flatter you they did the wiser thing and invited someone else who probably wants to go there a lot more than you would, and more importantly, WILL go.

I guess SLU is a sensitive topic I guess SLU is a sensitive topic across the board and I meant it no harm. I am certainly not in a spot to suggest it is better or worse than any other program in the country as I've not seen it.
One must be careful discussing specific programs I suppose as the internet is not so good a place for things like sarcasm and humor.
Lesson learned