Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just offered an interview at Harbor yesterday and waitlisted at UC Irvine the day before. Little late but I'll take it (that is, if I can find a date to go).

Members don't see this ad.

WakeMedHeel said:
I love the exclaimation point in the first sentence. We're really excited you applied to our program so we can reject you!
Got the same lovely letter(s)! Makes me wonder....
Steve
Step 1 236
Step 2 254
research.....nada

Got rejected by George Washington today, which is kind of funny since they already offered an interview about a month ago that I declined. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
In case any one is still waiting on St.Lukes-roosevelt, about 60 more invites are going out... I think its 3 more days.

Should we interpret late invites as less enthusiastic invites? It would seem that those of us getting invites in late December are being scraped from the bottom of the barrel - any truth to this, or are we all on equal footing once interview day arrives?

There was an article written on the SAEM website regarding this issue. The article was entitled "Does interview date affect match list position in the EM NRMP match". According to the article, date of interview does not affect ranking by programs.
Here is the link to the article:

URL=http://www.saem.org/download/1022_1026.pdf

Good luck!

jf said:
There was an article written on the SAEM website regarding this issue. The article was entitled "Does interview date affect match list position in the EM NRMP match". According to the article, date of interview does not affect ranking by programs.
Here is the link to the article:

URL=http://www.saem.org/download/1022_1026.pdf

Good luck!

That's a good study, but it doesn't really answer Wilco's question. That study focused on the interview date not the invite date. I would guess the later invites probably mean the program is less excited about you on paper. That said, the interview makes up a huge part of your overall score and appeal to the program so I wouldn't worry about it. I also doubt that our interviewers know when we are invited.

Hercules said:
That's a good study, but it doesn't really answer Wilco's question. That study focused on the interview date not the invite date. I would guess the later invites probably mean the program is less excited about you on paper. That said, the interview makes up a huge part of your overall score and appeal to the program so I wouldn't worry about it. I also doubt that our interviewers know when we are invited.

Not so with our program. Our PD said he had 80 applicants that were incredibly interested in. He had to pull serious teeth to open up more interview dates. It just meant that all the interview dates were full before he got to the last applications...........

roja said:
Not so with our program. Our PD said he had 80 applicants that were incredibly interested in. He had to pull serious teeth to open up more interview dates. It just meant that all the interview dates were full before he got to the last applications...........

I stand corrected... :)

Thanks for clarifying my question (DJ Cool) Herc.

While Roja's example certainly can't be assumed to extend to every program it is encouraging. I guess I'll have to tac on a few more interviews as one's I'm really interested trickle in.

Hey Roja,

Do you know if your PD already sent out the invites for the spots that opened up. I got the email from him basically stating don't call us, we'll call you.

Thanks

Hey everybody, being SICK of interviews and growing tired of watching my bank account dwindle, I just cleared out my schedule by cancelling the following interviews. If you are interested in any of these programs, then get on the phone ASAP cause there is now an open slot at:

UC-Davis
UC-Irvine
St.Lukes/Roosevelt (sorry Roja, this was a really TOUGH decision)
Christ Chicago

I think these are all great programs, I am just tired and broke!

jf- I'm not sure. I think so.

EMApplicant- ya gotta do what ya gotta do. This place isn't for everyone. :) And I understand... I felt the same way at the end too. :D

utlonghorn50 said:
I was wondering what types of scores it takes to get an interview at UTSW specifically. Thanks to anyone who has been offered an interview there that replies.

I am enjoying my intern year here at UT Southwestern.
Feel free to PM me about Dallas and the program.
-Andy

Bumpity bump bump. Some of this should make it into the sticky or it might be linked.