Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
hey, heh thanks. i was wondering about that too(lodging), someone up there mightve mentioned Rush offered them hotel, they didnt offer me anything. For you folks that have been offered lodging, did you have to actually ask about it(I never have)? I suspect also though that maybe they only offer certain people lodging, and only certain people interviews right away, though i dunno...

yeah UCSF gave me Nov 15th, Sinai said-12/31? seems really silly, but i suppose its _by_ that date, could be earlier...the PD at my own school (one of the top second tier places IMHO) was perhaps too encouraging when i applied, stating he thought i'd get interviews at everywhere...i guess we'll see in a couple of weeks. i've heard some places have commitees and such and send out invites in bunches as they meet etc... i think i'd be really happy going to Brown regardless.

scm

Members don't see this ad.

scared sh*tless said:
Hey: NOBODY has offered to pay for my stay except for Tulane (thanks.. I already LIVE in new orleans)... is it possible that the programs make offers of lodging to the most qualified applicants? :confused:

Johns Hopkins offered to pay for my hotel, but, "to keep our costs down", it is a double to be shared with another applicant. :eek:

I never knew that old Johnny Hop was having money trouble. :D

Previous interview invitations:

Drexel, UPENN*, Columbia, Northwestern, Washington Univ, Baylor, UCLA, Rochester* (GMSTP program), Georgetown, Johns Hopkins*, Univ Virginia*, Albert Einstein, University of Michigan*, NYU

New interviews:

Harvard-BIDMC, Emory*

*(hotel offered)

I was also told by Hopkins that due to budget restraints I would need to share a hotel room. Maybe they are having some money issues. Perhaps at the dinner the night before, we may need to share entrees?

Members don't see this ad :)
scm said:
hey, heh thanks. i was wondering about that too(lodging), someone up there mightve mentioned Rush offered them hotel, they didnt offer me anything. For you folks that have been offered lodging, did you have to actually ask about it(I never have)? I suspect also though that maybe they only offer certain people lodging, and only certain people interviews right away, though i dunno...

scm

Programs are offering hotel on their own initiative.

thanks syrinx

got Yale invite today..
scm

Got Yale today as well.

I'm right there with you Gopher Brain. Wondering whether I should take out more loans or start turning some interviews down. There are worse problems to have though right?

Interviews so far: UC Davis, USC, Colorado, Emory, Northwestern, Rush, Iowa, Michigan, Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, Pittsburgh, Vanderbilt.

Still waiting to hear from 8 schools.

Hola, neurology brethren.

Today's new interview: Georgetown.

Interestingly, Georgetown's 'signature' move is as follows: after listing dates they state :

"We will be unable to interview all qualified applicants therefore spaces will be filled on a first-come basis. (Italics theirs) Once filled, we will be unable to grant any further interviews"

Isn't this 'supply-side economics' how the whole cabbage-patch kid mania in the 80's got started?

Prior interviews:

USC
UCI
NWU
Rush
UIC
NYU
Columbia
UNC
Tulane
McGill

Hey S.S.,

I'm curious about the McGill residency. Are you a Canadian citizen? I have checked out their website and it indicates that you can only apply for certain residencies as a US/foreign citizen- neuro is not listed. Can you provide a bit of info on how you went about applying. Thanks.

JMD said:
Hey S.S.,

I'm curious about the McGill residency. Are you a Canadian citizen? I have checked out their website and it indicates that you can only apply for certain residencies as a US/foreign citizen- neuro is not listed. Can you provide a bit of info on how you went about applying. Thanks.

It's a funny thing. I am canadian, but also have a us green card. McGill was on the CAS list which tells me that you can apply as an american. (No other canadian school was). I just added McGill as a school I wanted CAS to send my application to. When McGill got my application they told me that because I am a canadian citizen, I have to fill out the CARMS (Canadian match appliaction). I decided I would not because in the mean time McGill won't work out for me. if you are not Canadian I suspect you wouldn't have to do that at all.

At least they told me I would have an interview if I filled out the CARMS, i.e. they weren't going to make me fill out a whole new application in vain. If you know McGill (I went to undergrad and grad school there) that is unusually considerate of them!

I would contact them directly if you are really interested

Peace out

today: also Duke, and UWisconsin(paying for hotel)

past: brown, tufts, rush, yale

of note, i got my CAS thingie in the mail from UMich, c hecked off "will hear by Oct 8", which has passed, which was also prior to its postmark. heh. decided to call-they havent reviewed my app yet(along w/30 or so others), will hear in a week or so. In addition, Duke had sent me something saying "will hear by Nov 4th" etc.

so for everyone getting those, you might hear much earlier and they might just mean they are waiting to review your app (not that it was reviewed and you are somehow second tier etc).

scm

hey midwest folks:
does anyone know how long it takes to drive from madison to chicago? mapquest says 2.5hrs.? i cant afford 2 flights, madison interview ends at 3:30ish and i have Rush pm dinner at 6:30ish. what do yo uthink? tight? worse to be late at dinner or just telll them you cant make it at all?

also, consensus is that Rush > NWU in terms of Neuro yes? (i.e. if i had to chose one)

Today: also Duke

Past: Mayo, Cleveland Clinic, U of MN, Rush, U Colorado, Case Western, U Iowa, Medical College of Wisconsin, Kansas

Add: Oregon, Loyola, Medical College of South Carolina, UNC, UTmemphis

Members don't see this ad :)
New interviews: Duke, Emory, UNC, UCinn, OSU

Past interviews: WashU, Wake Forest, UTSW, St. Louis, UMass, UVA, UMDNJ, UIC

Rejection: Yale, Mayo

applied to 38 (I'm an IMG) so waiting to hear from 25...

Got Duke, Harvard/MGH/BWH, Mount Sinai, Mayo, U.Chicago this week.

I thought it might come to this but I got to cut a bunch of programs now to fit the interviews in.

Will drop Univ. Michigan, Baylor, UCLA, Emory, Georgetown and a few others.

heh wish i was in that position, still have a bunch more to review my app...

got Sinai invite today as well

scm

add loyola

congrats on all the interviews guys. big up yourselves.

go on an reject them interviews! I may be picking up your table scraps! (i.e. UCLA...)

i got oregon (ohsu) in the mail today-made me happy, i'm really psyched about this program...i'm not sure i remember folks mentioning it up above, but for those waiting, it came in the snail mail..(nice packet of info)

scm

(ps ohsu sent a cas thing that said hear "by nov 4th", its now 10/16)

Just wanted to remind people that it doesn't do any harm to email programs in areas you are going to be interviewing....i did this with UNC and Duke after I got the Wake Forest invite--just mentioned that i would be in the area etc etc--don't know if it helped or not but i did eventually get invites from Duke and UNC.

UC San Diego (mail)

drgirl said:
Just wanted to remind people that it doesn't do any harm to email programs in areas you are going to be interviewing....i did this with UNC and Duke after I got the Wake Forest invite--just mentioned that i would be in the area etc etc--don't know if it helped or not but i did eventually get invites from Duke and UNC.

Thanks drgirl, I have an interview at Duke, but I'm waiting to hear from UNC. Maybe I'll drop them an email.

Update: Ironically, just got my invite from UNC today!

School: Southern IL U SOM
Submitted CAS (letters of reference pending): Sept. 6th, 2004

Interviews offered: Wisconsin, Iowa, U of IL at Chi, U of Chi, Loyola, Washington U, U of Maryland, Ohio State, U of Colorado, Southern IL U

offers pending letters: U of Michigan, U of Washington-seattle, san diego, Oregon HSU, san francisco, stanford, mayo-scottsdale, U of So cali, cornell, hopkins, northwestern, and the others...

hope the wheels are in motion for ya'll. good luk.

theDudeofSIU said:
offers pending letters: U of Michigan, U of Washington-seattle, san diego, Oregon HSU, san francisco, stanford, mayo-scottsdale, U of So cali, cornell, hopkins, northwestern, and the others...

What do you mean by "pending letters"? Have they provisionally offered interviews, or do you mean that they aren't going to tell you until the letter are in?

got umichigan today

so far : tufts, yale, sinai, brown, duke, uwisconsin*, rush, oregon*, umichigan* (*pay for hotel etc). still waiting on a bunch...

scm

GopherBrain said:
What do you mean by "pending letters"? Have they provisionally offered interviews, or do you mean that they aren't going to tell you until the letter are in?

Until the letters are in, Goph.

recent interviews: georgetown, duke, unc, jefferson

past interviews: emory, wake forest, UVA, VCU/MCV, U Maryland, Tufts, Yale, UConn, MUSC (cancelled the last two)

No rejections YET, but I'm still waiting on two more and I'm starting to wonder...

Has anyone gone on an interview yet? My first is next week!! :eek:

Good luck everyone! :luck:

got SUNY Stony Brook

already went to miami.. really liked their program.. much more than i thought i would have..

interviews...
Hopkins, Yale, Columbia, Penn, Harvard/MGH/BWH, Harvard/BIDMC, UCLA, Cornell, Stanford

still waiting...
UCSF

anyone heard from UCSF yet?

good luck!!

Hey Neuro people...just wanted to ask--is it acceptable to call programs and ask about the status of your application? i'd rather just be told that i'm rejected than left wondering.... :confused:

drgirl said:
Hey Neuro people...just wanted to ask--is it acceptable to call programs and ask about the status of your application? i'd rather just be told that i'm rejected than left wondering.... :confused:

I sure hope so, because I've been calling. Some places (i.e. USC) really seemed to appreciate it.. they even personalized my interview letter to reflect it. I figure it can't hurt. If a sec. seems annoyed at you and tells you it's being reviewed', that's a small cost.

As an aside, I haven't even gone on a real interview yet I'm already burned out re: interviews. I don't know why, I just feel like I have been anticipating the **** out of them....

anyways, good luck everyone. Hope you all get the program you want.

remember,

'if you can't be with the [program] you want
love the [program] you're with!'

took the advice above, called UWashington, got an interview today.

for everyone waiting-they mailed out invites snail mail , should arrive soon.

scm

got UNC and BU this morning ans rejected from Stanford(after calling)

im guessing there are more folks reading these posts than posting..my advice: i highly recommend calling places if you kinda need to finalize your schedule and are flying all over, you may get some decisions....

scm

took step 2 yesterday.. so i have a day off today :D

got ucla-harbor today.. they said they are sending stuff by snail mail..

also got university of washington

scared sh*tless said:
I sure hope so, because I've been calling. Some places (i.e. USC) really seemed to appreciate it.. they even personalized my interview letter to reflect it. I figure it can't hurt. If a sec. seems annoyed at you and tells you it's being reviewed', that's a small cost.

I've generally had very good luck with calling also, and even got the interview and scheduled it in the same phone call once.

However, there is one secretary at a certain school in the northeast who, after an email and a phone call, is proving to be dangerously incompetent. Seriously, about as smart as a fresh turnip. But as dear Nana may have said, "When a shlemiel falls on her back, she breaks her nose."

Gopher-what kind of scores are needed to be 14/14. thanks

Hey guys,

11 interviews scheduled but still waiting to hear from 20 or so (I went a little overboard with the applications as I'm an IMG). About how long did you all wait after submitting CAS and/or receiving those mailers before calling programs to ask about your application status?

Hope interviews are going well for everyone so far!
:luck:

i started calling today, and programs got my stuff from CAS about a month ago...(sept 24th) which was late...if you sent it in earlier/on time and other people on here have heard from programs you applied to, couldnt hurt to call.

AznTrojan-MS said:
also got mt. sinai today.. :)

me too with the Sinai today. Apologies for any slander I may have slung re: Sinai's prior "you will hear by 12/31 regarding an interview".

hey rolandic-fiss... I appreciate the referance to the schlemiel but don't know how it fits in with the dangerously incompetant secretary.

I am more of a schlemiel/schlimazel hybrid myself.

S. Sh*tless

arrghh.. i have 12 interviews right now.. i'm beginning to think that i have to start cancelling some..

anyone else finding it a pain in the ass to schedule everything?

utlonghorn50 said:
Gopher-what kind of scores are needed to be 14/14. thanks

I don't think it is about scores. I had some great LORs, good grades, good boards, some research, good activities, etc. Nothing individually (besides the letters) was really that outstanding, but I don't have any obvious flaws either.

Besides, the difference between getting a bunch of interviews and matching at a top spot is all the difference in the world.

gopher..

not that you need anymore interviews.. but i suggest calling UW.. they gave me an interview invite over the phone today.. stuff should be coming by snail mail relatively soon..

CAS received by programs 9/28
Scheduled interviews:
U MN, Rush, U Iowa*, Mayo*, U Oregon*, Cleveland Clinic*, U Colorado, UNC, CWRU, Duke * = paying for hotel

Probably going to cancel (I don't think I can fit more than 10 interviews!!)
UTmemphis, U Nebraska, Loyola, MCOW, KUMC, MUSC

Waiting to hear from:
U VA, U Washington, U Wisconsin Madison

Completed interviews: U of MN, Going to Rush next week!

scared sh*tless said:
me too with the Sinai today. Apologies for any slander I may have slung re: Sinai's prior "you will hear by 12/31 regarding an interview".

hey rolandic-fiss... I appreciate the referance to the schlemiel but don't know how it fits in with the dangerously incompetant secretary.

I am more of a schlemiel/schlimazel hybrid myself.

S. Sh*tless

hehehe. Oh, just because this woman seems pretty inept at simple tasks. I am over it, though.

how many interviews are you guys actually planning on going to(as of now)? granted, might cancel some later on as stuff gets going, but i was planning on 12 or so for neuro, which my other friends applying in neuro have declared insane (i.e. 6-8 being more normal)...anyone? thanks..
scm

scm said:
how many interviews are you guys actually planning on going to(as of now)? granted, might cancel some later on as stuff gets going, but i was planning on 12 or so for neuro, which my other friends applying in neuro have declared insane (i.e. 6-8 being more normal)...anyone? thanks..
scm

I'm shooting for ~10. There are two I can easily drive to, then 8 cross-country interviews.

I'll probably go to 15, just because I'm an IMG--10 is prob more than reasonable for the rest of you....
my new invites are utmemphis and uconn..
new rejections--cleveland clinic, indiana univ, BU
haven't heard from anymore new york or boston programs....the northeast is so snobby when it comes to IMG's :(

BU likes IMGs, but since it is so research driven and since by the end of residency you ll publish in NEJM and Neurology they want some research skills
drgirl said:
I'll probably go to 15, just because I'm an IMG--10 is prob more than reasonable for the rest of you....
my new invites are utmemphis and uconn..
new rejections--cleveland clinic, indiana univ, BU
haven't heard from anymore new york or boston programs....the northeast is so snobby when it comes to IMG's :(

I've got 12 neuro interviews scheduled right now, but I'm waiting to hear from a few of the other programs still.... 12 seems like too many -- I can't afford all this flying around!! But at the same time, I don't really know which ones I'd chose to cancel, being an IMG as well. I need to win the lottery sometime soon :)