Interviews taken away

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

100YardDash

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My school lost their LCME accreditation this past Monday oct.3rd... I'm a current 4th year student. I had interviews at several places including UT Southwestern and Ut San Antonio and as of yesterday they have all been revoked. It's been pretty devastating! I'm 32 and it's been a long road to get where Im at and to be so close and to have this happen has been just crazy. As crazy as it sounds, I still back my school and still proud of the education I received. The AAMC hasn't said much in terms of what our options are but I'm sure I'm out for the year... My step 2CS date was canceled by the Usmle so even if things changed by the end of the month and with a miracle we took back the accreditation, I wouldn't be able to reregister for the test in time due to the test dates being so backed up.
AAMC is telling us that they will try and help us 4th years to transfer but I don't see that happening. I received an email from the AAMC yesterday stating that I can't do a residency in the US or puerto Rico... So 4 years and 100k down the drain. It is what it is but man, if these type of things keep up I'm going to die of heart disease too young. Any advice. Appreciate it

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of this before at a Med school level. Some med schools take 3rd yr transfers. I'd email/contact every single LCME accredited medical school and find out if you can transfer as a 3rd or 4th yr.

Wow, that really blows! What happens to all the students there M1 - 4? SOL?

Members don't see this ad :)
W
T
F

You're gonna be taken care of I would guess.

I don't know what to say.

Good luck to you in the future.

Wow, that really blows! What happens to all the students there M1 - 4? SOL?

Ha.. tell me about it! We are all just in the dark right now. The AAMC has given us a list of schools that will accept few students as 4th year transfers but the list is short and most of the schools are only accepting students who are residents of that state or have ties to the state. Im currently sending in all my transcripts and step scores to the schools on the list and trying to contact a few schools in Texas.

Losswilderness: Yeah, we are the first med school in US history to have lost its accreditation.

That ****ing blows hard. My heart goes out to you and your classmates.

I hope that you can find a transfer, but if it doesn't work out I would look to see if you can get a paid research fellowship at one of the schools you're considering. Hopefully with more ties there you'll be 1st on their list to accept as a transfer the following year.

You, your classmates, and M1s, 2s, and 3s all need to collectively speak to an attorney. Not the school, not the AAMC, and not the LCME. Each of them have their own agenda.

Also, I have to believe this is not, in fact, the first time a school has ever lost accreditation. If there is precedent, you may not have to re-invent the wheel

Members don't see this ad :)
That ****ing blows hard. My heart goes out to you and your classmates.

I hope that you can find a transfer, but if it doesn't work out I would look to see if you can get a paid research fellowship at one of the schools you're considering. Hopefully with more ties there you'll be 1st on their list to accept as a transfer the following year.

Yup, thanks. As of now, Im just going to my rotations and keeping busy to keep my mind off it. some days are alright and others are just too much stress. Im trying to contact other schools about transferring but I think my 4th year is already lost.

1. Are you allowed to continue to work on your rotations?
2. If you continue, and you finish, does that mean you will graduate from an unacred. program?

Yes, if I continue and finish then I will graduate from an unaccredited school.

I'm not rotating in Puerto Rico... Im doing all my 4th year rotations through various schools in Texas right now so if I transfer, I should get credit for these since they are through accredited schools

I am really sorry to hear this! It must be very stressful!

BUT, try to keep yourself calm and make sure you do well on everything you have control of: rotations; exam-prep; interviews....

I think it will be fixed somehow. You are not the only one...They got to find some solutions for all the students in the similar situation. I think it must have happened in the past too.

Best luck, my friend!

100YardDash,

So sorry to hear this news. I just wanted to wish you the very best. You seem like a great person--don't this take away from all of your hard work in the past. Keep your head up and if you need to talk or just vent, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck with everything. :thumbup:

100YardDash,

So sorry to hear this news. I just wanted to wish you the very best. You seem like a great person--don't this take away from all of your hard work in the past. Keep your head up and if you need to talk or just vent, feel free to PM me.

Best of luck with everything. :thumbup:

thanks newbie04. good luck on the interview trail

I would email explaining what happened and ask Organized Medical Staff and Bylaws group for for advice what to do or their help. They recently helped a group of Texas doctors being fired by their hospital and came out innocent.

Jay A. Gregory, MD
333 South 38th Street, Suite D
Muskogee, OK 74401
Specialty: General Surgery
(P) (918) 687-5304
(F) (918) 687-0178
CHAIR, AMA-OMSS GOVERNING COUNCIL
Muskogee Regional Medical Center
[email protected]
--Past President, Oklahoma State Medical Association
--Governor, American College of Surgeons
--Past President, American Society of General Surgeons
--State Chair, OMSS Oklahoma
--Chair ICU-CCU Committee, Muskogee Regional Medical Center
--Delegate, AMA-HOD, Oklahoma State Medical Association
--Chair, Surgical Caucus, AMA-HOD

Current Leadership Positions
James A. Goodyear, MD, FACS
2100 North Broad Street, Suite 100
Lansdale, PA 19446
Specialty: General Surgery
(P) (215) 368-1122
(F) (215) 368-3569

SECRETARY, AMA-OMSS GOVERNING COUNCIL
North Penn Surgical Associates
[email protected]
OMSS Leadership http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/about-ama/our-people/member-groups...
--Council on Government Affairs, Policy and Advocacy
--The Joint Commission, Task Force on MS.1.20: Standards Development and Implementation
--Chairman, Organized Medical Staff Bylaws Committee, Central Montgomery Medical Center
--Member, Credentials Committee, Central Montgomery Medical Center
--Fouder and Director, North Penn Hernia Institute
--Member, American Hernia Society
--President, Pennsylvania Medical Society
--Chairman, County Medical Society Board of Directors
--Delegate, AMA House of Delegates, Pennsylvania Medical Society
--Chair, Organized Medical Staff Section, Pennsylvania Medical Society
--Consultant and Lecturer, Ethicon (Johnson and Johnson) Worldwide, "Advances in Hernia Surgery"

Brian D. Johnston, MD
1700 E. Walnut Avenue, Suite 250
El Segundo, CA 90245
Specialty: Emergency Medicine
(P) (323) 969-5111
(F) (310) 306-5247
DELEGATE, AMA-OMSS GOVERNING COUNCIL
White Memorial Hospital
[email protected]
--Member, Joint Advisory Committee on Emergency Preparedness of the California Department of Public Health
--Member, Board of Trustees, California Medical Association
--Member, Board of Trustees, LA County Medical Association

Lee Perrin, MD
736 Cambridge Stree
Boston, MA 02135
Specialty: Anesthesiology
(P) (617) 789-2480
(F) (617) 254-6384
ALTERNATE DELEGATE, AMA-OMSS GOVERNING COUNCIL
CAP Anesthesia, PC
St. Elizabeth's Medical Center
Department of Anesthesiology and Pain Medicine
[email protected]
--Associate Clinical Professor of Anesthesiology, Tufts University School of Medicine
--Vice Chairman, Anesthesiology, St. Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston
--Past Speaker of Massachusetts Medical Society's House of Delegates
--Past President of Massachusetts Society of Anesthesiologists
OMSS Leadership http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/about-ama/our-people/member-groups
--Chairman, Bylaws Committee of Massachusetts Society of Anesthesiologiests
--Delegate from Massachusetts to American Society of Anesthesiologists
--Past President of Middlesex District Medical Society
--Chairman, Anesthesiologist's PAC
--Director, Caritas Christi Network Services

Arthur D. Snow Jr., MD
PO Box 7004
Shawnee Mission, KS 66207
Specialty: Family Medicine/Geriatrics
(P) (913) 268-8519
(F) (913) 491-9285
MEMBER-AT-LARGE A, AMA-OMSS GOVERNING COUNCIL
Shawnee Mission Medical Center
[email protected]
--Alternate Delegate, AMA House of Delegates, Kansas Medical Society
--Chair, Organized Medical Staff Section, Kansas Medical Society
--President, Kansas Medical Directors Association
--Chairman, Board of Governors, Kansas Health Care Stabilization Fund
--Assistant Clinical Professor, Department of Family Medicine/Department of Medicine, University of Kansas
--Deputy Coroner, Johnson County Kansas
--Appointed by the Secretary of HHS to the Practicing Physicians Advisory Committee to CME (PPAC)
--Past President, Kansas Medical Society
--Past President, Kansas Academy of Family Physicians
--Health Care Provider Representative appointed to the Kansas Insurance Department Advisory Committee on
Utilization Review
--Family Medicine Representative to the Carrier Advisory Committee (CAC)
--Chairman, Physician Preceptor Program, Medical Society of Johnson and Wyandotte County
--Chairman, Family Medicine Department, Shawnee Mission Medical Center
--Representative to AMA-OMSS, Shawnee Mission Medical Center

Gale Hazen, MD
5319 Hoag Drive
Suite 100
Sheffield Village, OH 44035
Specialty: Neurological Surgery
(P) (440) 930-6015
(F) (440) 930-6094
MEMBER-AT-LARGE B, AMA-OMSS GOVERNING COUNCIL
[email protected]
OMSS Leadership http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/about-ama/our-people/member-groups
--Vice President, NeurospineCare, Inc., Sheffield Village, OH
--Treasurer, Lorain County Medical Society, OH
--Treasurer Medical Staff, Community Health Partners, Lorain, OH
--OMSS Representative, Community Health Partners, Lorain, OH
--OMSS Representative, EMHRHS, Elyria, OH
--Member of serveral committees at different hospitals including Bylaws, Surgical Operations, Pharmacy and Therapeutics

Andrew W. Gurman, MD
1701 Twelfth Ave
Suite C2
Altoona, PA 16601
Specialty: Orthopaedic Surgery
P:
F: (814) 942-7327
-- Vice Speaker, House of Delegates (HOD), American Medical Association (AMA)
-- Delegate, Pennsylvania, House of Delegates (HOD), American Medical Association (AMA)
-- Audit and Awards and Nominations Committees, AMA Board of Trustees (BOT)
-- Board Liaison, Organized Medical Staff Section (OMSS), American Medical Association (AMA)
-- AMA-BOT Representative, AMA Foundation Board of Directors
AMA BOARD LIAISON, AMA-OMSS GOVERNING COUNCIL
Altoona Hand and Wrist Surgery, LLC
(814) 935-0615
[email protected]

Carl Sirio, MD
515 North State Street
Chicago, IL 60654
Specialty: Internal Medicine
P:
F: (412) 359-6653
AMA BOARD LIAISON, AMA-OMSS GOVERNING COUNCIL
American Medical Association
(412) 966-4630
[email protected]
--Chair of the AMA Audit Committee
--Chair of the AMA membership Committee
--AMA Board Liaison to Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs (CEJA)
--AMA Board Liaison to Organized Medical Staff Section (OMSS)

I hope you can figure out which email belongs to who. GL

I just noticed the names. Is 40 100's little brother? :laugh:

ha. no its the same person. 40 was my original name... basically lost my password and couldnt remember the email I signed 40 with. signed up with a new name. Got on my old cpu the other day and I guessed I had saved the password there so when I opened up studentdoctor it signed me in as 40. sorry about that