Interviews: Clean shaven vs not

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How should facial hair be tamed?

• Clean shaven

Votes: 41 63.1%
  • Controlled/clean facial hair

Votes: 20 30.8%
  • Random face scruff

Votes: 4 6.2%

• Total voters

Stanelz

RDA-->DMD
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now I think we can all agree that those that can only grow random face scruff should shave completely because you'll look like a hobo but what about a goatee or full trimmed beard?

Im usually rocking a mild fade on my haircut with a goatee and very mild 5oclock shadowy type beard

For interviews getting rid of the fade and shadow but considering to keep the goatee cuz its full, neatly trimmed, and just on my chin

Would it be best to play it safe and look like a 16 year old again?

Members don't see this ad.

The vast majority (myself included) at the interviews I attended were clean shaven. With that said, I saw some variation including those rocking full beards. I recommend playing it safe.

Just shave it man, otherwise it'll just look tacky.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I rock a fade (military-style) and was fine - don't worry about that.

Some people in our class keep trimmed beards and goatees, and a few had scruff at our interviews and got in too. I'd probably just go clean shaven, but really it must not matter too much.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone is sporting a pencil thin chin strap beard, you're dead to me if I was your interviewer. It reflects a serious lapse in judgment. Don't get me started on man buns!

Big Hoss
Oh but Big Hoss you take that nice hat off and that hair will make a real nice man bun...

Reactions: 1 users
I have a full beard (not patchy, good facial hair genetics). I have had this beard (neatly trimmed, not overly long) for a year now... if this is how I look day to day, would it really be that big of a deal to keep it?

As a beautiful mustached-man, I value the effect of a full 'stache and I believe my interviewers will feel the same.. keep the hair, woman.

I think a well groomed, conservative beard style presents well and signals maturity and age.

I had a fu man chu and did fine.

Jk I had nothing cause I don't have facial hair.

IMG_0638.JPG
Anyone here bold enough to attempt The Martin Van Buren?

Big Hoss

Reactions: 2 users
Definitely clean shaven, you never know what the preference of the interviewer is... besides you can always grow it back. Go 16 again :)

lmao if nothing else this thread was quite entertaining. Will play it safe and look 16 again...and LOL at the people that chose face scruff on the poll