Interviews: bring portfolio or go empty handed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JPSmyth

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry to make a thread about something so insignificant, I searched and couldn't find a specific answer.

Is it reasonable to bring a small leather portfolio with me to interviews? It's the same one I have brought to job interviews. I would like to have questions written down that I want to ask at the end of the interview. Or should I be going in empty handed?

Also, how do you get the interviewers emails to send a thank you afterwards? Do they usually have business cards or can you write them down?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Leather portfolio seems to be the norm for guys at interviews. I brought one myself. Be you!

Some people bring them and some don't from what I've seen. Some people like it because they can write stuff down during breaks or when they hear something important from a speaker. I personally have only carried them to job interviews, but not my med school interviews.

Thank you notes are optional. It usually has a neutral effect on your application at best. If you feel compelled, feel free to send one. Some schools will specify that they don't want them.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think it's fine to bring a padfolio with you to the school to take notes throughout the day, however I wouldn't bring mine into the actual interview. I'm sure it varies by school, but there's usually a room where you can keep your stuff while you interview. A couple of schools even told us to make sure to leave everything behind but our waters.

Reactions: 1 user
Some do some don't. I bring a bottle of water, a protein bar in my pocket, and a pen. Every school I've been to so far gives a folder you can write in and end up carrying around anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry to make a thread about something so insignificant, I searched and couldn't find a specific answer.

Is it reasonable to bring a small leather portfolio with me to interviews? It's the same one I have brought to job interviews. I would like to have questions written down that I want to ask at the end of the interview. Or should I be going in empty handed?

Also, how do you get the interviewers emails to send a thank you afterwards? Do they usually have business cards or can you write them down?

Thank you

Empty handed. Don't be the weirdo that comes to the interview with his resume and entire application printed out and tries to give it to the admissions faculty.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
It was half and half at my interview. I personally didn't but kind of wish I did. We got alot of papers so having the padfolio would have made it easier to carry everything throughout the day. No need to have your resume or AMCAS in it though, just purely a place to hold paper and jot down a few notes. Remember a pen!

I carry a small leatherbound notebook. Helps when you need to write important stuff. Plus prevents any weird hand movements or gestures

Backpack with Grateful Dead stickers all over it. This is your chance to stand out, own the moment!

Reactions: 6 users
Empty handed. Don't be the weirdo that comes to the interview with his resume and entire application printed out and tries to give it to the admissions faculty.

There's a difference between carrying a padfolio and handing out copies of your app package (hint: one's professional and one's just odd).

I brought one to mine, just make sure you don't get a bulky one like I did. You'll have to carry it the whole day

There's a difference between carrying a padfolio and handing out copies of your app package (hint: one's professional and one's just odd).

At MMIs, I hand out condoms. For the reaming that comes after.

Reactions: 7 users
Don't be pretentious douche and bring a padfolio with a huge logo/shield of your school emblazoned on it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I despise interviewees who want to do show-and-tell. We have your application in most cases, you know.

Thank you

I despise interviewees who want to do show-and-tell. We have your application in most cases, you know.

What if show and tell involves puppies and kittens?

Also, I vote for no portfolio.

I took a portfolio in case I wanted to jot anything down. I didn't.

The most I would bring is a small leather notebook, not bringing one isn't wrong.

Goro,

I had no intention to bring anything from my app. Just in the interview when they ask, do you have any questions for us, I wanted to have a few things written down ahead of time so there's nothing that I forget to ask. But it seems as though nothing is the way to go

A little notepad will work for that. When you wrote "portfolio", I envisioned someone bringing out a briefcase full of CVs, pubs, and other stuff. I've had people do this and it's really distasteful to us. Smacks of overweening insecurity.

Goro,

I had no intention to bring anything from my app. Just in the interview when they ask, do you have any questions for us, I wanted to have a few things written down ahead of time so there's nothing that I forget to ask. But it seems as though nothing is the way to go

A little notepad will work for that. When you wrote "portfolio", I envisioned someone bringing out a briefcase full of CVs, pubs, and other stuff. I've had people do this and it's really distasteful to us. Smacks of overweening insecurity.

thank you! I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't be looked at as inappropriate to have questions written down to ask the interviewers

I bring a portfolio in case I want to write something down or stash something that the school gives to me inside of it.

I definitely do not bring resumes, manuscripts, etc. You filled out AMCAS for a reason.

Sometimes they give their emails and you might want to write them down. But often they give you some paper anyways. So don't bring anything uother than dressing nicely.

I had A fellow interviewer have a folder with lots of questions and kept asking questions. Honestly not a classmate I would like. Genuine questions are good. Ingratiating is not.

WORST IDEA EVER. You'll be laughed out of the room by both your fellow interviewees and your interviewers. And lol at the guy who mentioned "show and tell" My thoughts exactly.

I had A fellow interviewer have a folder with lots of questions and kept asking questions. Honestly not a classmate I would like. Genuine questions are good. Ingratiating is not.

Always fun to pick out those try-hards.

I have a folder/notebook-sized leather notepad. At first I brought it to my interviews only to leave on the desk, but I actually started leaving them open and jotting down stuff after I asked questions. My school said that's fine to do, but not entirely sure about that part lol