Interviewing Travel Expense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EXPD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Over the years med-peds programs have seen more of a local/regional pool of applicants rather than the national pool we used to see. We think that at least some of this has to do with the expense related to travel and flying to each individual interview. The Med-Peds programs in the Midwest are working together to address this issue. We are hoping that by coordinating the interviews applicants can travel to the Midwest once and interview in four to five programs in one week and save on travel expenses and time away from other clinical rotations and responsibilities. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Speaking as someone who is currently trying not to take too much time off of each rotation for interviews, one problem with doing that: it will require applicants to take an entire week off of rotations. Many rotations rather.. frown on that. If you could make the week known well in advance so vacation arrangements could be made that might make it work better.

I do think it's a lovely idea if you can get everyone together well in advance.

Yes, this is a great idea but logistically difficult because most people can not take a week off of rotations. For applicants with vacation time, this is ideal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this would be extremely helpful. It wouldn't affect those who are doing a rotation as much because it would be difficult to get extended days off, but it sure beats multiple trips to the same general area of the country.

Good points. We were thinking that people coming to the midwest from the west coast or far south would need to take a few days off from their rotation anyway even if it was just to interview at one program. So rather than one program in 3 days they could do 4-5 programs in 5-6 days.

I guess the big question is: Is interview travel expense and time a big reason more people are interviewing locally or regionally?

..oops sorry for the double post...

EXPD, first, I think the idea on paper seems great (personally, it would benefit me and others who are really interested in Med-Peds and want to get into the best programs) . However, here are few questions to think about.

Firstly, what makes you think that the interviewing costs and travel expenses are the primary reasons for people not applying broadly? I'm not talking about myself, because I'm going to apply broadly. However, in general, compared to the medical school costs and loans, the interviewing costs seem a drop in the bucket. Secondly, if people who did not want to apply broadly for saving money, I think a big proportion of those might not be interested going to those programs in the first place (ending up ranking those programs bottom perhaps). Third consideration is, what about the people who apply to a few programs to Midwest, but not all?

Like I said, it seems a great idea to me, however, I was playing the devil's advocate above, and just a few points to consider/think about.

Economics is not a major factor in people applying regionally/locally. Other issues would take priority in that decision (in my opinion).

Most people seem to apply geographically. Unless the program is really something, has put itself out there as a place you really should want to be. Are you marketing your programs effectively?

I guess I'm at a national medical school which is in a different region than where I grew up. All that to say I'm applying nationally and the majority of my classmates are too. If there were ways to make interviewing in the midwest less expensive that would be really helpful.

I would have loved this. Interviewing consumes both time and money. If I could have interviewed in four or five programs in one week on one plane ticket it would have saved me a bundle. The way I did it each interview took a minimum of two but usually three days. I missed lots of rotations. I had one point when I did three interviews in one region and missed 9 days of my ER rotation. Lucky for me the place was so busy and disorganized they never noticed I was gone.