Interviewing suits

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much did you spend on your interview suit

• 50-100

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • 100-150

Votes: 11 12.9%
  • 150-200

Votes: 9 10.6%
  • 200 and above

Votes: 56 65.9%

• Total voters

charmstot

A reality for the world
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much do you spend on interviewing suits? I personally spent $200.00 on a suit and my parents felt that this was to much money. Just wanted to get other opinions.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey
which place do you guys think is a good place to buy interview suits from?

ocdentist said:
Hey

I purchased my suit at a departmant store called Nordstrom's. I was told that department stores such as Macy's and Lord and Taylor have good sales around this time

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a lady, but we have to buy suits too, so here goes: I found my suit at Saks. It's by Elie Tahari, but I was not about to pay $600 for it so I found it online at bluefly for $300. I would recommend trying to do this if you find a suit that fits you great without tailoring (probably more common for ladies), because you can save a lot. I just took down all of the information (style number and size in the dressing room), and now I have a really great fitting suit for half the price! :D

Dillards - $300, S&K Menswear - $300, Men's Wearhouse

Do you go traditional black and or navy

or do you go for that grey.

charcoal grey baby! its the only way to go as far as i'm concerned. complement it with some nice italian loafers and you're a shoe-in !

Nordstrom Rack... an outlet version of Nordstom is always a good choice... you might find something that is out of season but still professional... at a great price... Burlington Coat Factory is a good bet too... When I use to work there... I was told that the distributors of their suits were the same distibutors for Nordstom.... you can also get a great price there too... but if you have the money.... don't go department store ... go custom... but word of advice... stay away from white pin stripes or ...even all white suits... not a good impression!

My question is for girls? Do you wear a pant suit or knee-length skirt suit? I can't tell which one is more professional. And what color? Beige, black, navy, gray?

Decisions decisions.... :rolleyes:

I recently went to a panel discussion thing where a female interviewee said she was glad she wore a pantsuit because the women who wore skirts at her interviews were self-conscious because their skirts would keep creeping upward when they'd sit down. The women were constantly tugging at their hems trying to get them to scoot down further. I imagine that would be very embarrassing! :oops:

LSN said:
My question is for girls? Do you wear a pant suit or knee-length skirt suit? I can't tell which one is more professional. And what color? Beige, black, navy, gray?

Decisions decisions.... :rolleyes:

I think pant suits and skirt suits are equally professional. Choose whichever one you feel more comfortable wearing. If it is a skirt suit, it is a good idea to try sitting down in front of the mirror to see how it looks before buying (that?s how the interviewers will see us). For women the color choice is easy, we cannot go wrong with any darker color. On my interview days, majority of the girls wore black skirt suits. I did also, and felt very comfortable

16% of the poll shows $50-100 suits, they must be one-time use suits. Besides, after taking them to dry-cleaners about half-dozen times... you already spent about $50. A great start for those people who are planning to do well on the business side of Dentistry in the future. :D

ocdentist said:
Hey

I would go to a reputable department or menswear store, such as Dillard's or Nordstrom's, that will offer personable, detail oriented service as well as complimentary alterations. Such places often have a good price range and deals should be easy to find within their multiple racks. Also, choose a pair of good quality shoes that will be comfortable to wear and will hold up well over time.

I went to Dillards and invested in a nice dark gray, year-around suit. Although I spent well above $200, it's well tailored and I will get several years out of it. So, in a sense, I saw my purchase as more of a long term investment rather than a short-term gain so the price was somewhat of a non-issue.

Members don't see this ad :)
Grey, tailored suit from Sak's (Theory is the brand). $800+ but a good looking suit can make you feel like a million damn dollars and give you a lot of confidence.

your spending 800+ dollars, I expect the suit to say hello everytime you put it on. Damn skippy

hd

i bought mine from hugo boss

Giorgio Armani, baby - bought it in a place for Armani employees in Italy a few years ago for about $160. I think a model had maybe walked down a runway in the sucker once, or there could be some little defect that I still have yet to find. Just goes to show how much extra you pay for a name . . .

"BUMP", for those who have not voted

charmstot said:
How much do you spend on interviewing suits? I personally spent $200.00 on a suit and my parents felt that this was to much money. Just wanted to get other opinions.

$200 too much??

If I get an interview i'll drop a grand on a suit, i wanna look incredible, plus the confidence that you get makes the extra money worth it... not that i'm sayin you should spend a grand... but buy something you think will make you feel good and confident on your interview.

justletmein said:
$200 too much??

If I get an interview i'll drop a grand on a suit, i wanna look incredible, plus the confidence that you get makes the extra money worth it... not that i'm sayin you should spend a grand... but buy something you think will make you feel good and confident on your interview.

I totally agree

I don't put a price on my wardrobe. If a 200 dollar suit looks good buy it. If you can't find anything except a $600 Boss or $1200 Armani that makes you feel confident in yourself then by all means by it for the sake of confidence. My suit that I wore to Indiana was a $420 Joseph Abboud, $29 Express Premium Blue Dress Shirt, $140 Bacco Buci Shoes, and $42 Express Tie. I bought them because they made me look good, not because of how much I have to spend. Some of my favorite shirts are $10 target shirts that are hung next to my $45 Diesel or $60 Sherman shirts. When buying clothes you want articles that compliment what you do have and mask what you don't, ultimately leading to a more confident you. Good luck

BillE

Hi,
I got my suit from JCPenny at the half off rack for $40. Its a black pants suit with white pin stripes. Am i going to look stupid? Did i spend too little. The suit fits great though and the quality is good. I havent had to use the suit though so I guess I will worry about how i look when I actually get an interview.

It's all about the fit. Do NOT purchase a suit online--you're asking for trouble.

Spend the additional money to get a nice suit and get it tailored so that it fits well. Everybody should have one suit in their closet, even if you only wear it once a year.

wow, it seems many people dropped a lot of money for the suit. I thought I spent too much money. I got a suit at BCBG factory store, for more than 200, but again, it would cost more than $1000 in BCBG regular store. and banana republic shoes and shirts for about another 200

for the ladies, does anyone else got the high-heel pointed toes, "professional " shoes as well? I have never wore one before, wonder how it would fit...

ItsGavinC said:
It's all about the fit. Do NOT purchase a suit online--you're asking for trouble...

Well said. Different designers and brands each fit differently and chances are you will have to have the suit tailored anyway, so save the time and headache and go through a store.

melonbobo said:
wow, it seems many people dropped a lot of money for the suit. I thought I spent too much money. I got a suit at BCBG factory store, for more than 200, but again, it would cost more than $1000 in BCBG regular store. and banana republic shoes and shirts for about another 200

for the ladies, does anyone else got the high-heel pointed toes, "professional " shoes as well? I have never wore one before, wonder how it would fit...

what is it about ladies' suites that makes them so ugly? i've been browsing in the department stores and the skirt suites stop at the 'professional' length of at the knees making you look like a grandma and pants that fit are hard to fit too. as for shoes, high heeled pointed toes are totally in fashion right now but i honestly can't bring myself to purchase a pair of those wicked witch-like shoes. not mention that they don't look very comfortable. is it just me or am i being overly too picky about suites??

Yeah, I hear ya about the ladies' suits. If I were you, I'd look at stores that target young professionals like Banana Republic, Limited, etc. Their suits have a more modern fit. And I agree, those pointy shoes are hideous. I have just a nice, simple polished black loafer shoes with a slight heel. It's more classic than trendy but looks professional and it is comfortable. ;)

drat said:
Yeah, I hear ya about the ladies' suits. If I were you, I'd look at stores that target young professionals like Banana Republic, Limited, etc. Their suits have a more modern fit. And I agree, those pointy shoes are hideous. I have just a nice, simple polished black loafer shoes with a slight heel. It's more classic than trendy but looks professional and it is comfortable. ;)

:thumbup:
especially when you have to work around the school

I don't get you people, how can you spend >$200 on a suit. A nice suit usally starts at around $1000. I recently went to macys, and saw a nice armani suit for $1500.

payed 196 including with alterations on wall street

dshnay said:
I don't get you people, how can you spend >$200 on a suit. A nice suit usally starts at around $1000. I recently went to macys, and saw a nice armani suit for $1500.

it's all about the DEALS. and armani is ugly :laugh: