Interviewing a program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CaliMac

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Next week, I'll be sitting with an advisor at the uni where I'm planning to apply for a terminal master's in counseling program. It's CACREP, leads to both LMFT and LPCC and it's the only relatively (within two hours' travel time each way) local uni I've found that meets those requirements. It's public, in consideration of finances, since I understand that these programs are almost never funded.

Here's the program's link:
http://hhd.fullerton.edu/counsel/degree.htm

I've drafted a list of questions specific to my situation and I'd like suggestions for other points to clarify with the advisor. What kinds of things would I be wise to know about the program? What specifically should I make sure is available, possible, or facilitated?

All thoughts welcome; I'm pretty ignorant of the psych scene as I'm the extreme of non-traditional.

Members don't see this ad.

I started to type out some questions and then I went back and clicked on your link. Cal State Fullerton! Good on you, excellent school in a desirable location. I quickly skimmed the website and I would inquire about the pass/fail rates for licensure. If you are hoping to do your internship at a specific setting/agency I would ask if the school is affiliated. Furthermore, there are several doctoral level students as well as MSW students in Southern California, how competitive is the internship process? How pleased have students in the program been with the match rate? Again, this stuff may be answered on the website, I didn't read it in depth.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, submarine, I'm excited to apply! Actually I don't want to apply anywhere else; nothing else comes close.

How do the numbers quoted below stack up?

Cohorts = 60 students (Fullerton campus) and 24 students (Garden Grove campus)

Last year, 92% completed the program

From their site:
"LMFT exam pass rate was 78% and 73% for the written and clinical vignette exams, respectively. The LPCC pass rate will not be available for a few years as this credential was only recently made available.

About 64% of our alumni who respond to our annual survey find employment in the mental health field after graduation."

They seem low to me but again, everything else fits the bill exceptionally well.

Members don't see this ad :)
I cant speak to the pass rates for the LMFT because I am a SW major. My program has a 95% pass rate, however I believe its comparing apples to oranges. I would look ask how Fullerton's pass rates compares to other programs (inside and outside of the UC system). Are you interested in the alumni's job search, compensation, and job satisfaction?
I would find the small cohort attractive. You don't appear to have any qualms with the program otherwise! Are you applying for Fall 2015?

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, applying to the Fullerton campus for fall 2015. I meant the pass rates seem low and I thought the cohort seemed large; shows how little I know about master's programs :) it's not too cheeky to ask about comparisons? I'll do it!

I will ask about alumni info, thanks for the suggestion. And yes, I'm really hoping to make it work- dual licensure, clinical focus, well-regarded, affordable, local, amenable to families and jobs...