Interviewer kept interrupting me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

prospectszn

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had an interview at my top choice and I felt like my interviewer kept interrupting me... They would ask me a question and I would answer and like 20 seconds into answering they would catch something I said then ask another question about it. After I responded he just moved on to the next question... I felt like I had a lot more to say but I never got the chance to complete my thoughts since he would move on. Has anyone had a similar experience and still gotten in? Feeling really bummed out since I'm only catching waitlists.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was the interviewer a physician? It is pretty much how they roll:

How well do physicians really listen during a patient encounter? A new study in the Journal of General Internal Medicine found that, on average, patients get about 11 seconds to explain the reasons for their visit before they are interrupted by their doctors. Sep 10, 2018

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Was the interviewer a physician? It is pretty much how they roll:

How well do physicians really listen during a patient encounter? A new study in the Journal of General Internal Medicine found that, on average, patients get about 11 seconds to explain the reasons for their visit before they are interrupted by their doctors. Sep 10, 2018
Yeah I'm not sure if I am getting into my own head right now. Do you think I could have been scored well?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
In order to cover a lot of material in a short amount of time, some interactions seem this way. It may be that they were trying to give you every opportunity to show that you have the competencies that the committee is looking for. Oral board exams are exactly like this.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
In order to cover a lot of material in a short amount of time, some interactions seem this way. It may be that they were trying to give you every opportunity to show that you have the competencies that the committee is looking for. Oral board exams are exactly like this.
I mean we still had 10-15 minutes left in the interview block, the whole interview probably took like 35 minutes including him just making banter with me at the beginning. I didn't even give me a chance to ask questions he just said he thought i did good and make sure to do good on the next one too and left the zoom.

I mean we still had 10-15 minutes left in the interview block, the whole interview probably took like 35 minutes including him just making banter with me at the beginning. I didn't even give me a chance to ask questions he just said he thought i did good and make sure to do good on the next one too and left the zoom.
Lol, just had this very same experience with an interview I had.

You still may have done fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't think this is a bad thing. I think research shows that generally interviewers who talk more and talk about themselves think more fondly of their interviewed applicant. I think its best to roll with the punches and the new conversations they're starting. They've probably gone through hundreds of applications and interviews that they're bored of the same old questions. I feel like trying to steer the conversation back to the Q&A is bad idea, a conversational that flows has left a better taste in my mouth.

Edit: current applicant experience

• Love
I have generally had success in contexts where the interviewer did all the talking. Apparently, I come across as more intelligent when I don't speak.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 13 users
Last edited:
Students are nervous during interviews and want to make sure they get in all of the points they have rehearsed. Interviews are limited in time and I would typically interrupt an applicant when I had heard enough related to what I asked and didn't require amy more texture. I want the student to finish on time. I had the same thing happen during my oral board exam. Turns out, the examiner had heard all he wanted and was filling the remaining time with me trying to get me to say I don't know. It certainly makes one think they didnt do very well.

SDNers should be aware that interviewers are not obligated to ask you the questions you're expecting, nor allow you to give your canned answers.

Yeah I'm not sure if I am getting into my own head right now. Do you think I could have been scored well?

What's done is done. Your fate is already been determined, and so it's not worth tormenting yourself over something you have no control over. Let it go and focus on the next interview.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
If you rolled with the punches and were responsive to the interviewer despite their interruptions, chances are you did fine. If you fought them, showed aggravation, etc., perhaps not. Whether or not it was intentional on the interviewer's part, this was a form of stress test that gave you the opportunity to adapt to the kinds of quick, substantive conversation you might encounter as a physician.

I JUST GOT ACCEPTED. Guess i did good thank you all for helping me with my anxiety. I’m so happy!!

• Love
Reactions: 14 users
I JUST GOT ACCEPTED. Guess i did good thank you all for helping me with my anxiety. I’m so happy!!
Congrats! Don't forget to make the time to celebrate your wins with those near and dear to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user