interview ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beaut1ful m1nd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This might sound like a dumb question, but i'll ask anyway, are you not supposed to wear perfume to the interview? I know how ur supposed to be very simple looking (no makeup, no jewelry, dark clothing etc.), but is wearing perfume that serious?

Members don't see this ad.

This might sound like a dumb question, but i'll ask anyway, are you not supposed to wear perfume to the interview? I know how ur supposed to be very simple looking (no makeup, no jewelry, dark clothing etc.), but is wearing perfume that serious?

Honestly, the interview attire is not as strict as you mentioned. As long as you look professional and put-together it should be fine. That does not necessarily mean no makeup, no perfume, no jewelry, etc. Just look professional. I was in a pant suit, but I also had a little makeup and a nice watch on, so dont worry too much about it. As far as perfume goes, no one likes to smell a gallon of strong perfume on anybody. If you want, just spray it in the air and walk into the mist. Thats what I often do so that the smell is not too strong. I doubt wearing perfume will work against your chances of gaining admission to a certain school. GL :luck:

Some perfumes are very strong and may cause the interviewers' attention to not be fully concentrated on you. Depending on the school, you have a large likelihood that the interview would be taken place in a confined area so keep that in mind. Just use common sense and don't use something that you could smell a mile away.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wore a pants suit and simple stud earrings and a simple necklace. I think I did the mist thing with a body spray (not really 'perfume').

There's certainly no hard and fast rules for interviews, and it is probably trickier for women due to more clothing and accessory choices. If you were interviewing for an artistic job or at a fashion company, they'd appreciate some creativity and self expression. However, a professional interview is not the place for that. Some people "get it," and some really don't seem to at all.

You can never go wrong by leaning to the conservative side (picture a senator giving a speech). I'd think that basic womens' clinical dress code for the school is about what you'd want to follow for an interview. Simply imagine how you'd want a female clinician who is treating you to look and keep that as your goal:

-dress suit, dress, or pants/skirt + blouse/sweater
-skirt/dress at least knee length
-shirt/blouse should be collared (tank or tube tops are a bit tacky for professional situations)
-no sharp contrast patterns or loud colors (can't go wrong with dark grays, navy, or brown)
-makeup and hairstyle are up to you, but obviously nothing crazy
-shoes and purse/bag should match and probably be leather
-minimal jewelery (no big garish earrings, rings, bracelets, watch, necklaces, etc)
-absolutely no body piercing jewelry or visible tatoos

I think that eyeglasses are a nice academic touch if you have them. Perfume could be skipped or at least kept minimal. As was mentioned, you definitely don't smell like you fell into a vat of Calvin Klien :laugh:. You don't nescessarily have to be "simple looking," but you don't want to be sexually attractive to the interviewer/patient to the point where it interferes with the interaction. You want to look like you are at an interview/clinic, not going out to a dance club...

I hear Axe gets you places...

Personally I find any type of perfume or cologne to be noxious, and I know I'm not alone, so you should cross your fingers that your interviewer is not like me. My eyes are getting itchy just thinking about it.

Edit: my interviewer told me that by the time a candidate gets invited to interview, the school already knows that on paper they like what they see. The interview is mostly just to make sure you don't have horns and a tail.

I hear Axe gets you places...

Personally I find any type of perfume or cologne to be noxious, and I know I'm not alone, so you should cross your fingers that your interviewer is not like me. My eyes are getting itchy just thinking about it.

Edit: my interviewer told me that by the time a candidate gets invited to interview, the school already knows that on paper they like what they see. The interview is mostly just to make sure you don't have horns and a tail.

Agreed.
From all that I have gleaned of all medical professions, if you make it to the interview, they like you more than not. They want to make sure you are not a socially inept person and see how your people skill are.

As Feli was saying, if in doubt, don't do it. Skip the perfume. It can't help, and could hurt.
(Well, I guess it could help if you got a hyper-sexual interviewer (sarcasm) :laugh:

-shoes and purse/bag should match and probably be leather

That is bad fashion advice. I know this isn't a catwalk, but your purse does NOT need to match your shoes!