Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teuter

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I've just come across this website a few days ago, and am grateful at all of the information presented on the various topics. Obviously, I'm interested in studying down under (rather than my Canadian homeland) and was very excited to get an interview for Flinders (in Toronto). This might seem like a ridiculous question, but how do people dress for this type of interview? I would think that it's all about representing yourself, as long as you do it respectfully. You can dress casually, but still look great. Really, I think a full blown suit might be overdoing it. I was thinking of a nice shirt (possibly tie), nice slacks, shoes and maybe a sports jacket. Casual, but nice. Besides, aren't Aussies a relaxed and casual bunch? :)

Cheers

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Teuter,

Congratulations. I got a Flinders interview in Calgary (I guess just before or just after you). Don't know about dressing for the interview-- specifically to Flinders, that is. But I will personally be wearing a suit. Never really a problem being overdressed but sitting there wondering if you underdressed might be a distraction. Key is to feel comfortable with whatever you are wearing.

Any specifics you know of with the interview?
Good luck.

Comfortable formal is good -- definitely tie + jacket, but you won't find many with full suits, even in the US (suits are more a business thing).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the insight.

Unch - Congrats on your interview as well. I don't know how many people they interview, but hopefully we'll see each other in Adelaide in February.

Pitman - Thanks for the info. Shirt and tie I can handle, I don't think I even own a full suit (at least one that fits)!

Cheers

Aussies are a relaxed bunch (you might not find it unusual to see a Student Health physician in shorts) but an interview is not a casual situation and you would be best advised to wear a jacket along with your shirt and tie. I'm not sure a matched suit (such as you would normally find at US interviews) is required but if you have one, you can't go wrong with being overdressed rather than underdressed.

Hey all,
I also received an interview invite for Flinders and am pretty psyched about it. Mine is in NYC (convenient because I live there). I have to admit I was less than ecstatic about wearing my usual black suit for the August 1st interview. Thanks for the advice, everyone. A jacket and skirt will be SO much more comfortable.

An admissions interview is one of the most important meetings of your life and your attire should reflect that fact!! If you own a suit, I'd wear it and if not then a jacket+tie is just as good but your attire must absolutely communicate to the interviewer that this meeting is important to you!!

If you want to stand out but possibly be self-conscious, wear the suit. If you want to be respectable yet are more comfortable with a jacket + tie (or formal skirt), then this isn't an issue in Australia and is what virtually all applicants will be doing.