Interview Question... Tell me about a time you helped someone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

er92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So at a previous interview I was asked to talk about a time I helped someone. I had good answers for all the other questions but this one made me totally stutter. I had no idea what to say, even though I have obviously "helped" people before with various things. I said some crap about helping my older sister out with personal problems... obviously not what they were looking for. I still got in, but I have an upcoming interview for my top choice that I want to ace and this is the only question I still can't think of an answer for.

So what kind of answer are they looking for here? I guess volunteering is the obvious answer but I don't have any volunteering :(. Should I talk about helping friends with schoolwork? That seems like bragging or something. I was just wondering if anyone could reply with ways they have answered this question to give me an idea about the appropriate type of answer to give.

Sorry for this dumb question. And thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So at a previous interview I was asked to talk about a time I helped someone. I had good answers for all the other questions but this one made me totally stutter. I had no idea what to say, even though I have obviously "helped" people before with various things. I said some crap about helping my older sister out with personal problems... obviously not what they were looking for. I still got in, but I have an upcoming interview for my top choice that I want to ace and this is the only question I still can't think of an answer for.

So what kind of answer are they looking for here? I guess volunteering is the obvious answer but I don't have any volunteering :(. Should I talk about helping friends with schoolwork? That seems like bragging or something. I was just wondering if anyone could reply with ways they have answered this question to give me an idea about the appropriate type of answer to give.

Sorry for this dumb question. And thanks!

Hmm personally I feel all interview questions are meant so they learn a little more about who you are and what makes you unique. If you replied with that you helped people with school work etc., I think that's already a given. I think what they want is a specific instance and if you elaborate the what, how, and why behind it, it can really show what kind of person you are to the committee.

If I had to answer this question, I would recall this time when I helped a 60 year old homeless lady get back into an apartment. I think it's also important to sound humble and not over-doing the "im so great because I helped this person" attitude.

Just explain one instance, and elaborate on what and why you did it and how it helped them

Hmm personally I feel all interview questions are meant so they learn a little more about who you are and what makes you unique. If you replied with that you helped people with school work etc., I think that's already a given. I think what they want is a specific instance and if you elaborate the what, how, and why behind it, it can really show what kind of person you are to the committee.

If I had to answer this question, I would recall this time when I helped a 60 year old homeless lady get back into an apartment. I think it's also important to sound humble and not over-doing the "im so great because I helped this person" attitude.

Just explain one instance, and elaborate on what and why you did it and how it helped them

I know they're looking for a specific instance that is unique, but I can't think of any that are worth mentioning :( Your answer is good, helping a stranger is probably a great way to go if you have an experience like that. I'll keep racking my brains. Thanks!

I had that exact question at my last interivew. I stated how I used my background and knowledge from my Bachelors Degree in Nutritional Science, to help my friend lose weight and eat healthier.