Interview Question on Cheating

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did you even read my post? I never said they should be let go, all I said was you shouldn't snitch and lose the friendship. And what's with your rant? No one is saying cheating is excusable. This is a debate about snitching on your frien, not whether cheating is wrong or not lol.

and how do you know every cheater wants the highest grade? To me, it seems like most cheaters are just trying to get by. What if the person has a learning disability and got by with cheating in the past and became a habit? Why can't you try and counsel them instead of going apesh*t? Where is your compassion? If this group of future pharmacists treat their friendships this way, I wonder how they would treat patients who are total strangers to them.

And wow, did you really compare "cheating" to murder? If you wanna play like that, then how about the other way around then, would you report someone for jaywalking? I mean **** they're gonna keep jaywalking in the future and cause an accident one day! YOU BEST REPORT THEM! (The severity of the crime changes everything, if you didn't get the point of that, thus you can't compare it to murder)

If you don't "snitch" then they will be "let go". DUH!!!!!!! :rolleyes: So YES you did say cheaters should be LET GO b/c if you don't tell then they are OFF the hook. And will continue to cheat their lazy ass way thru pharmacy school. :thumbdown:

I rant b/c I make my 4.0 GPA the good old fashion way, by going to class and reading the textbook. If you never worked hard in your life then I can see why you aren't offended by cheaters. :rolleyes: People that want/think they deserve the BEST without working for it are just disgusting people. I don't know how else to put it. If I was too lazy to go to class and open a textbook then I think I deserve whatever grade I get. Whether its a C, D or F. To think that I deserve an A after a night of partying and not doing my work is very offensive to the people that actually PUT EFFORT into studying for the exam. Is that MORE CLEAR now?

And I just recently reported a cheater to the professor just a few days ago. One of my so called friends got mad at me and stop being my friend. AT first I thought I was a bit harsh...just for a second there I thought I was being overly harsh...but then REALITY sets in and I know I am RIGHT for reporting such a douche bag. I guess thats why I had to rant b/c I was just put into a similar situation and I feel GREAT about what I did.

Compassion? why will I feel compassionate over someone that doesn't RESPECT other people's hardwork??? again, if I don't work as hard as other people I sure as hell will NEVER try to cheat my way up to their level simply because I don't DESERVE it b/c I DIDN'T WORK for it! Its that simple.

Members don't see this ad.

You guys are getting ridiculous, the REAL answer to this question is there isn't one....

So here's what you do, you pick a side and you have a reason(s) why you choose to that side to back it up. Simple as that.

marshalney,
you are quite observant and your logic is indeed sound.

it was not the moral of my story exactly that you have to fear becoming a hypocrite, rather you should do unto others as you are prepared to have them do unto you -one fateful day in the future, if such a future were in your destiny. That is, be ready to take what you dish.

If one were to dish out nastiness, condescension, rudeness, etc. dont act surprised if the very people you insulted start fighting back one day. or Dont act all surprised if you wrong someone and one day someone else wrongs you in the exact same manner.

thats all i was trying to say.

when it comes to reporting a peer for cheating, thats another slippery slope. Do you report them for the sake of "moral duty", personal ethics, etc, and risk damaging your future relations (them feeling resentment, bitterness), or do you "enable" them as you say, let them off scotch free but risk feeling guilty yourself and then fail to uphold the law in the eyes of God.

Thats really all it boils down to. You must choose between your own personal friendships or the covenantal relationship with God. You must choose between doing what is Just, or doing what is easy but immoral. Remember that we all struggle with these decisions, and we all have to ask God for the courage to do what is Right.

Often we try to rationalize doing the wrong thing, we make excuses, and put up walls, play the victim when we in fact are not.
No one ever said doing the right thing was Easy. Often it is the most difficult choice to make, and one that does not require rationalization, but that we know in our heart of hearts is the right thing to do.

Find courage. Have faith even in the face of ridicule and persecution, and you will prevail, ultimately.

When you are weak, you will find strength in Him.

Is this the same Avuong that wrote that other post?!?!

I understand/support the golden rule, but what if you didn't mind getting reported if you cheated? I really don't because the day I decide to cheat to get ahead in med school is the day I need to stop thinking about being a doctor. Call it absolutist, but on a subject that touches the core of what (I believe) it means to be a professional and a caregiver, i don't think that's being too unreasonable.

"If one were to dish out nastiness, condescension, rudeness, etc"
not sure if this was directed at my pointed humor but if it was, I'm sorry. I felt like you were purposely disparaging the very difficult road less traveled.

The rest of your post is genuine, nuanced and well though out. I agree with it completely. Whenever personal loyalties collide with morals, a person needs to decide which is more important--doing what one perceives as the right thing or choosing not to risk that relationship.

I will say that one should never lose sight of what's "right" through rationalizing. I suppose that can go both ways. I believe a person shouldn't justify NOT TURNING someone in b/c of friendship, as strongly as I believe someone shouldn't TURN someone in just b/c they don't like them. It's important to do the right thing for the right reason.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I never trivialized professional integrity or morals, I simply conveyed my opinion that certain human bonds are worth more than being professional and "morals." Would you turn your wife/husband in? Your parents? Your siblings?

First of all, it is a huge dent on the persons future ambitions, pretty much ruining their lives.

Secondly, "getting caught cheating is not that bad etc etc" is not even the main point. It's losing that friendship and trust. You people just don't understand do you lol.

Lastly, asking the friend to own up to it is included in counseling... so all of a sudden you're taking my stance?

Again.. you just took my stance. You seem to be thinking this debate is about whether or not the friend should be punished in some way. I never said the friend should be excused, all I said was you shouldn't snitch. There are other ways. This debate is about SNITCHING. Do you understand the difference?

Moral defeat lol. You act like you are a saint. If you're such a holy man praising about your morals and ****, why don't you turn yourself in for every sin or illegal act you've ever done in your life? Better yet, ask a friend to turn you in. Why didn't you turn yourself in every time you drank alcohol underage? Had sex before 18? Sped? Jaywalked? Didn't stop completely at a stop light? Where was your conscience then? Your conscience can stomach your own faults but not of others?

Again, you are confused. This debate isn't about the punishment of a cheating friend.. it's about snitching and losing that friendship.

If professional integrity is the top priority in your life, then I feel sorry for you. Your ideology is very black and white, very absolutist, no room for compassion. You don't view the situation as anything other than: "oh **** my morals, turn him in now!" What if your best friend got you the Nike's you always wanted, but he stole them cus he's not well off? Your answer: report him.

It is clear that you and I grew up differently, with different upbringings and probably very very very different social circles. So I won't ever understand people like you. Let's just agree that you love your morals and integrity over any human bond you have, and I'm just the dishonest type that won't feel guilt for not turning in my best friend for cheating.

"
First of all, it is a huge dent on the persons future ambitions, pretty much ruining their lives.

Secondly, "getting caught cheating is not that bad etc etc" is not even the main point. It's losing that friendship and trust. You people just don't understand do you lol.

Lastly, asking the friend to own up to it is included in counseling... so all of a sudden you're taking my stance?"

Cheating is a serious offense, I never tried to brush it off. In fact, I think I see it as a worse offense than you do. Contrary to what you're suggesting, I think we differ far more on our view of the seriousness of cheating and the value of upholding moral principles than we do on the importance of friendship. From some of your comments, I almost feel like you think I'm some bitter super nerd who has never had a close friend. I hate to break it to you but I'm a normal person just like you w/friends and people I care about in my life. I guess it's a comforting assumption to simply write me off as someone from a different world.

On the subject of taking "your stance" I'll have to disagree. We may be on the same page when it comes to talking to your friend but we differ greatly when it comes to what we should be willing to do. Sure talk to the guy, try to get him to turn himself in, be supportive, hear him out, but if, at the end of the day, he says he wants to keep his dishonest grade what are you going to do? You say you shouldn't report him I say it's your moral obligation to report him. In your lingo that means "snitching."

I'm not a saint and I never said I was. I don't even think said that I would definitely turn my own friend in, rather, I only said that it was the right thing to do. For me this debate is about scraping out the rationalizations as to why "snitching," as you call it, would be the wrong thing to do. What a person should do and what a person actually does are two separate issues. I'm just challenging arguments that would make keeping quiet the "right" thing to do.

"Again, you are confused. This debate isn't about the punishment of a cheating friend.. it's about snitching and losing that friendship."

I'm not confused. I'm arguing that it is not right for you to make your friendship the reason why you don't live up to your obligation to report your friend. Let me ask you this, if a stranger saw the cheating too and reported your friend instead would that be wrong in your eyes? You see where I'm going with this? What does your friendship mean to the rest of the class, the school, or the patients your cheating friend will one day be responsible for?

"If professional integrity is the top priority in your life, then I feel sorry for you."

hey hey hey. you did a word swap. I said it was AAAAA top priority. Don't turn me into a robot here. I told you, i don't know what I'd do for sure in this circumstance, but after all was said and done I'd hope I'd have the courage to do the right thing. Keep your pity btw.

"Your ideology is very black and white, very absolutist, no room for compassion." On this issue it is pretty black and white. I have yet to hear a compelling argument for why not turning someone in is anything but selfish and/or cowardly. He tells me someone kidnapped his sister and told him that she'd die if he got anything less than an "A" I wouldn't report him, other than that...he cheated.

"It is clear that..."
The only thing that's clear is that we disagree on this topic. I don't know you and you sure as hell don't know me. Please use a logical argument instead of trying to write me off as some unfeeling loner. If anything, that's a pretty black and white stance right there.

I'm sure the interviewers are more interested in the reasoning than the answers. However, I personally find it difficult to believe someone would completely destroy their best friend's life for the sake of a moral obligation.

I fully agree with this.
This is definitely one of those questions where if you give a straight black or white answer, without having any kind of struggle... thats the wrong answer right there.
Saying, "Oh, well I'd report him immediately, without question"
That is the wrong thing to say.
Likewise, saying "of course I'd never report on my friend"
is also the wrong thing to say.

Its a difficult question, and I think they just want to see you show that it is difficult. Sure, eventually maybe pick one side or the other, but at least show you're human.

Thats my view anyways.

+1

And for those of you that want the "right" answer to this question I will tell you what everybody wants to "hear".

The right answer to this question is:

If I caught someone cheating, I will first confront them. I will then ask them what they will do about it. I will give them a chance to turn themselves in. If they choose to NOT to say anything and continue cheating then I WILL turn them in myself.

The right answer has to include the fact that YOU WILL TURN THEM IN. No pharmacy school will EVER f*cking accept a person that is okay with cheating. If you think cheating is okay and tolerable in any way YOU WILL NOT GET ACCEPTED. Hint...Hint...:rolleyes:

I had this question in the interview. I didn't say I wouldn't turn in my best friend but I didn't say that I would. I'm sure my interviewers aren't idiots and can read between the lines. I'm not turning in my best friend for cheating but I couldn't bring myself to lie in the interview. I didn't tell them what they wanted to hear and I still got in. In fact, I got a scholarship for being one of the top applicants and 2/3 of the score came from the interview so this isn't as black and white as you make it out to be. You can get into pharmacy school even if you don't say you will turn in your friend.

I had this question in the interview. I didn't say I wouldn't turn in my best friend but I didn't say that I would. I'm sure my interviewers aren't idiots and can read between the lines. I'm not turning in my best friend for cheating but I couldn't bring myself to lie in the interview. I didn't tell them what they wanted to hear and I still got in. In fact, I got a scholarship for being one of the top applicants and 2/3 of the score came from the interview so this isn't as black and white as you make it out to be. You can get into pharmacy school even if you don't say you will turn in your friend.

Fair enough, but why will you want a best friend that cheats? People that cheat have no morals, they are selfish and lazy and will do anything to get what they want no matter what (legal or illegal). Why do you want a friend like that? If they are okay with cheating on an exam they are most likely okay with stealing, cheating on their spouse, and anything else thats illegal or hurtful to other people. Hell, they proberly think it's okay to sleep with your husband behind your back. Why not? they have no morals anyways.
If I catch a friend cheating, I will turn them in and I will be grateful that I am no longer friends with her b/c I caught her BEFORE she has time to do something crazy to me. Again, if she has no morals and is okay with cheating sooner or later she will be okay with hurting you too! I will be happy to get rid of someone like that and find a NEW best friend that actually have some MORALS. :thumbup:

Fair enough, but why will you want a best friend that cheats? People that cheat have no morals, they are selfish and lazy and will do anything to get what they want no matter what (legal or illegal). Why do you want a friend like that? If they are okay with cheating on an exam they are most likely okay with stealing, cheating on their spouse, and anything else thats illegal or hurtful to other people. Hell, they proberly think it's okay to sleep with your husband behind your back. Why not? they have no morals anyways.
If I catch a friend cheating, I will turn them in and I will be grateful that I am no longer friends with her b/c I caught her BEFORE she has time to do something crazy to me. Again, if she has no morals and is okay with cheating sooner or later she will be okay with hurting you too! I will be happy to get rid of someone like that and find a NEW best friend that actually have some MORALS. :thumbup:

I respect your personal, and apparently strongly held convictions.
However, I disagree with how far you extend the logic.
Just because someone has cheated on a test before, or is open to the idea of cheating does not mean they are willing to cheat on significant others.. sleep with your best friend, rob from you or anything else.

Those are very different acts, each of them different and arguably much more severe than cheating.
When you cheat, are you really harming anyone else? Yeah, one could make the argument that you're hurting everyone else that did it the honest way.. and you're hurting the integrity of the system or institution... but thats all kinda abstract/not physical.

I myself have cheated in the past, never on anything big or anything that had lasting implications.. like the sats, act or finals.
Mostly, it was confined to middleschool when I simply didn't feel like looking up answers in my textbook. The tests required no thought, it was rote memorization with absolutely no purpose. Sometimes in highschool as well, but again the same kind of thing.

Am I willing to do anything to get what I want? No, I obey laws just like any other decent citizen. I've never cheated on a significant other, nor would I... I'm not willing to perform illegal acts to gain money.. or whatever.
And I've never really cheated in college either.
When you rob from someone, or even commit adultery (or just cheat on a g/f or b/f) the consequences are much more real, substantial, and easily seen/recognized.
You cannot automatically link people who cheat with other more nefarious acts.

Also, I think you are in the minority in your stance SHC, while most people will agree that it is immoral to cheat, a majority of the population would also agree that it is wrong to turn in a friend, especially a best friend for cheating, especially if the offense is soemthing school related... if it had to do with something physical.. life threatening or something like that.. it would be different.

If my best friend turned me in for cheating, I'd be angry as hell.
He'd be equally upset with me if I ever did the same thing.

I don't agree with cheating, especially at higher levels (do i really give a **** if someone cheats every once in highschool or something? No, not really cuase in the end, is it really going to matter that the cheater pulled a B+ out of his ass by cheating in Mr Reynolds 12 grade english class? No, its not)

Snitching is honestly almost looked down on as much as cheating is.. it might actually be frowned on more than cheating sometimes depending on the situation.
I've actually met professionals/teachers/professors that would yell at someone for trying to tell on someone/snitch on someone.
I mean really its a bit childish in a way.
Hey teacher! Bobby is cheating! wah wah wah.
One one hand its like, hey, you let bobby do what he wants to do, you wory about you.
If bobby gets caught, he'll get in trouble.
Otherwise, butt out.

Last edited:
A lot of people tried to cheat off of me in high school and I never let them. My best friends used to complain and say that I was a "paper hider" because I would so obviously hover over my tests and put up blocks with notebooks and crap. lmao

I didn't have to study MUCH in high school, but I did take the initiative to do my homework and know the material to get an A. I told them that they pissed me off because they sat around all night watching Laguna Beach while I was reading Human Growth and Development... so if they wanted a decent grade they could go take 2 hours out of their day and study. lol

In college I actually had an issue with group work where a member of the group missed a lab or something and was accused of asking another member to copy their paper. We all got called by the honor council and it was VERY serious. This person was in danger of getting kicked out of school, and they interrogated us individually to see if our stories match, etc. They wanted us to go testify under the honor council court room thing and everything. I don't remember exactly what happened because it was a few years ago, but I just told them what I knew, which wasn't much, so luckily I never had to "testify". My advice is... if you even think someone is going to cheat... go far far away. It sucks dealing with the consequences, even if you don't turn them in, you might get caught up in it just because you KNOW them.

So I hear that one of the questions that interviewers like to ask is, what would you do if you saw your best friend cheating? I know the right answer is to report him/her, but who actually would do that? Be honest I don't know your identity.

I told my interviewers that if I caught my best friend cheating, I'd confront him later and ask him why he didn't include me in the cheating. I mean, really, when you think about it, the point of homework is to answer the questions with a frame of reference handy to help you remember the material. Well, if you're answering questions on a test and you have some sort of reference handy, doesn't that behoove your education every bit as much as doing homework? Either cheating is overblown, or homework is bull****. Either way, why study when you can cheat?

Members don't see this ad :)
Why go to school when you can just buy the degree?

Because I didn't say go to school and learn nothing. Buying the degree, you learn nothing. Cheating, you have to review the material in order to make your cheat sheet.

Plus, buying a degree? That's what people like Bill Belichick do. And people like Bill Belichick piss me off.

I respect your personal, and apparently strongly held convictions.
However, I disagree with how far you extend the logic.
Just because someone has cheated on a test before, or is open to the idea of cheating does not mean they are willing to cheat on significant others.. sleep with your best friend, rob from you or anything else.

Those are very different acts, each of them different and arguably much more severe than cheating.
When you cheat, are you really harming anyone else? Yeah, one could make the argument that you're hurting everyone else that did it the honest way.. and you're hurting the integrity of the system or institution... but thats all kinda abstract/not physical.

I myself have cheated in the past, never on anything big or anything that had lasting implications.. like the sats, act or finals.
Mostly, it was confined to middleschool when I simply didn't feel like looking up answers in my textbook. The tests required no thought, it was rote memorization with absolutely no purpose. Sometimes in highschool as well, but again the same kind of thing.

Am I willing to do anything to get what I want? No, I obey laws just like any other decent citizen. I've never cheated on a significant other, nor would I... I'm not willing to perform illegal acts to gain money.. or whatever.
And I've never really cheated in college either.
When you rob from someone, or even commit adultery (or just cheat on a g/f or b/f) the consequences are much more real, substantial, and easily seen/recognized.
You cannot automatically link people who cheat with other more nefarious acts.

Also, I think you are in the minority in your stance SHC, while most people will agree that it is immoral to cheat, a majority of the population would also agree that it is wrong to turn in a friend, especially a best friend for cheating, especially if the offense is soemthing school related... if it had to do with something physical.. life threatening or something like that.. it would be different.

If my best friend turned me in for cheating, I'd be angry as hell.
He'd be equally upset with me if I ever did the same thing.

I don't agree with cheating, especially at higher levels (do i really give a **** if someone cheats every once in highschool or something? No, not really cuase in the end, is it really going to matter that the cheater pulled a B+ out of his ass by cheating in Mr Reynolds 12 grade english class? No, its not)

Snitching is honestly almost looked down on as much as cheating is.. it might actually be frowned on more than cheating sometimes depending on the situation.
I've actually met professionals/teachers/professors that would yell at someone for trying to tell on someone/snitch on someone.
I mean really its a bit childish in a way.
Hey teacher! Bobby is cheating! wah wah wah.
One one hand its like, hey, you let bobby do what he wants to do, you wory about you.
If bobby gets caught, he'll get in trouble.
Otherwise, butt out.

I think that by referring to this as "snitching" you're attempting to make the entire argument childish. Turning in a colleague for violating the rules is not "snitching." By agreeing to become a professional, someone should accept that they are held to a higher standard. By reducing it to grade-school mockery, you're admitting that integrity isn't that important to you. You'd rather be buddies than "snitch."

Because I didn't say go to school and learn nothing. Buying the degree, you learn nothing. Cheating, you have to review the material in order to make your cheat sheet.

Plus, buying a degree? That's what people like Bill Belichick do. And people like Bill Belichick piss me off.

I saw someone blatantly cheating during our last microbiology exam. He had written several answers down all over his ankles. Essentially, he's learned squat.

At least he's only becoming a dentist. :rolleyes:

I saw someone blatantly cheating during our last microbiology exam. He had written several answers down all over his ankles. Essentially, he's learned squat.

At least he's only becoming a dentist. :rolleyes:

If he learned nothing, that means he doesn't know the proper way to cheat. If only he had Mr. Cartmenez as a teacher.

I think what SHC (and I) are trying to get at is that we do not want best friends who cheat.

I think we can forgive middle school and high school. I personally would get pissed at people who would get the same grades as I did without putting in honest work, but at that age you are still kids. Once you get into college you are considered an adult. I would think that there is a serious lapse in judgment if you were doing poorly in something and you reasoned that you should cheat. I would like to surround myself with good people and that means I would like my friends to have a sense of integrity.

Hey guys,

I was asked to this question during my interview at Western Uni, Pomona California. I said, if I knew a bestie was cheating, I would give him/her the opportunity to turn themselves in first....then proceed from there. Luckily, before the prof went to ask how I would deal with it if my bestfriend didnt turn him/herself in *Im positive she was going to ask me that*, the pharm student asked a different question and so we just completely went on to different topic....

To those of you who say why befriend a cheater, it's easier said than done in the real world. You cant control what one does. You can only be responsible for how you choose to handle it---if even you allow yourself to get caught up in it. I had a buddy in math class that would 'creep' near whenever we had an exam lol....I told him straight up--- if youre doing it, stop it and youre thinking of doing it, dont.

I have had 4 interviews so far and all of them have asked about cheating in one way or another. What does everyone think the statistics are on students that cheat? I am retaking O-Chem I to increase my grade and have 98% in the class this time and I am amazed how many students have asked me to cheat for them in ways that I have never thought of. I didn't know that fake ID's would have a market for college students to take tests for other college students. Go figure.

I can't believe this issue even has to be debated. Cheating is wrong- period. No point in trying to rationalize it. And to the guy that brought god into this...it has nothing to do with god, but with your own personal ethics/integrity. As SHC said, why on earth would you want to be friends with a cheater? I have a hunch that those who attempt to rationalize cheating have probably either cheated themselves or knew that someone cheated and did nothing about it. People who cheat to get ahead and get away with it will continue to do it, unless they come to some great epiphany LOL They should do a study on cheaters...hell, maybe they already have.

People make mistakes.

The real right answer is one that is well thought out, with good reasons why you feel the way you do.

Anyways, the question was hypothetical. You didn't answer the question. The question asked what you would do if you had a friend that cheated. Not if you would be friends with a cheater.

Anyways, it would be a tough call. Personally, if I had a friend, a good friend - I wouldn't have the heart to snitch on him and be responsible for screwing his life. However, I feel that eventually, my friend will eventually be caught or because of his poor-integrity, it will eventually catch up to him. So I would strongly urge/lecture him to stop.

Last edited:
A point I'd like to add.

- Cheaters usually don't get top grades. Most people who cheat are usually just desperate to survive and will get low to average grades overall.

I've been indifferent towards cheaters up until now (as long as they don't get in my way). However in pharm school it's a different story. What we learn then is no longer a trivial matter and an individual who get's through pharm school by cheating is endangering the lives of other people as well as the integrity of the profession.

Not to even mention what type of morals such a person would have to be so careless.

We have to remember, cheating in pharmacy school is very different from cheating in highschool/undergrad.

This has been a great thread! 5 stars.

Last edited:
I was asked this question in my last interview and explained it as best as I could. This is not a light matter.

First of all, if you have wandering eyes during an exam and witness somebody cheat, you could be accused of cheating yourself. It is a very fine line and I explained how I would react as best I could.

I just said first and foremost I would not be looking at other people and concentrate on my own exam so I would never be in this situation.

Anyways, it is very hard to cheat on a well written exam by a good professor!

Cheaters are only cheating themselves. Eventually it will catch up to them.

I'm referring more to the ethical actions that should be taken. Would you really tell an interviewer: "Nah, I don't have time to do it. Tell on someone for cheating? Waaayyy too much of a hassle to even bother with it." Our pharmacists say the same thing (don't call, it's too much of a hassle), but I think that's wrong personally. If you're committing a federal offense, I think you should be made accountable.

As a connoisseur of fine quality television programs, I once watched an episode of COPS where the pharmacist called the cops on a fake Rx. The patient who gave them the fake Rx tried to hassle the cops, pretending she was an attorney. They went ahead and arrested her and found like 7 bags of medications from different pharmacies under different names in her car. She also had 4 or 5 different sets of license plates and a few drivers licenses.

I'm uncomfortable with people who will just take a rule or law and apply it inflexibly to any and all from a stranger to their mother. I understand that a logical argument can be made that there is an element of fairness to applying the law in this way, but I think that part of what makes us human is that we should be uncomfortable with kind of absolutism. It is too much like fundamentalist religious thinking IMO.