Interview question about research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DadofDr2B

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My daughter was asked if she wished to do more research in the field she is interested in, endocrinology, and she stated she was more interested in doing clinical work with patients rather than research. Would this answer rule her out of being offered a position? Is there really a "right" answer?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm assuming your daughter is applying to internal medicine. any program that knocks her for saying she's interested in clinical patient care is nuts, so i wouldn't expect that to be the case. if the question came from a very research-heavy program, then perhaps that'd cause them to rank her a bit lower, but remember this is one interviewer and the rank list committee has many members. there will always be faculty who have different ideas of their ideal candidate.

I guess I'm a little disturbed by the fact that your daughter is now old enough to have finished four years of college and three and a half years of medical school... and you're posting on an internet forum to better inform her about residency interviews? When are you going to cut the cord?

Anka

It's nice that you are involved in her life, and your daughter may really appreciate all the assistance and coaching. For my part, I know that I get nervous enough on my own -- I would be very upset if my parents were getting all nervous about the minutia as well!!
Just have faith in your daughter -- if she is being honest in her interviews, she will end up in the right place for her.

you guys are harsh. this guy is just trying to understand what's going on his kid's life. let's not be so judgemental about how others choose to live. we know nothing of their real world relationship, and if it's one that works for them, then who are we to criticize. there's no harm in anonymously trying to get more information about a process that's incredibly complicated.

just thought i would say, i really would have appreciated it if my dad was interested in my affairs :) and cared about me enough to ask around. Unfortunately, I don't think so. Sure cutting the cord and being independent is good and all, but I still want somebody to care.

just thought i would say, i really would have appreciated it if my dad was interested in my affairs :) and cared about me enough to ask around. Unfortunately, I don't think so. Sure cutting the cord and being independent is good and all, but I still want somebody to care.

Thank you for understanding. When a Dad has one daughter who he is proud of and when the Dad has little understanding of the obstacles in front of his only daughter, there is a tendency for a caring Dad to be concerned. I do not coach my daughter because she knows more than I do.

Beyond that, my relationship with my daughter is important to both of us for many reasons.

Whether she becomes the "great" physician or not is not important to me. If she decides she wants to stay home and raise babies and be a stay at home mom, I would be fine with that. But when she is trying to reach goals I have little understanding about it, I see nothing wrong with educating myself about the process. We have friends that have watched her develop and they ask questions I can not answer without finding out about the process.

If I wanted to stay ignorant about the process, I would not be here. If I am told by the moderators, that I should stop posting I will. Otherwise, I will be asking questions in the future to better understand my daughter's situation. My daughter's decisions do have an effect on my whole family. There will be no cutting of the cord. We may need a longer cord when she goes wherever she ends up. But she will still be connected. Afterall, she is my only daughter.

Thank you for understanding. When a Dad has one daughter who he is proud of and when the Dad has little understanding of the obstacles in front of his only daughter, there is a tendency for a caring Dad to be concerned. I do not coach my daughter because she knows more than I do.

Beyond that, my relationship with my daughter is important to both of us for many reasons.

Whether she becomes the "great" physician or not is not important to me. If she decides she wants to stay home and raise babies and be a stay at home mom, I would be fine with that. But when she is trying to reach goals I have little understanding about it, I see nothing wrong with educating myself about the process. We have friends that have watched her develop and they ask questions I can not answer without finding out about the process.

If I wanted to stay ignorant about the process, I would not be here. If I am told by the moderators, that I should stop posting I will. Otherwise, I will be asking questions in the future to better understand my daughter's situation. My daughter's decisions do have an effect on my whole family. There will be no cutting of the cord. We may need a longer cord when she goes wherever she ends up. But she will still be connected. Afterall, she is my only daughter.

Sounds awesome. I know I have explained all this match stuff to my parents about 100 times, and they still get confused. It's a confusing process. I wouldn't care at all if my mother/father was asking questions on an internet forum.

Sounds awesome. I know I have explained all this match stuff to my parents about 100 times, and they still get confused. It's a confusing process. I wouldn't care at all if my mother/father was asking questions on an internet forum.

As I would have required my daughter to look up the answer for herself as she was going through school, I now have to look it up myself if I want the information. In order to keep my identity a secret, I can not ask her specific questions and then have her find me out. So, I try to look it up myself. She stays comfortable in the background while I look for information.

I have read the matching process at least five times to make sure I understand and I think I understand. I am glad the replacing of lower ranked applicants can not be seen because it would be real ugly.

If there is not going to be free enterprise with freedom to negotiate, this is about the best system available.