Interview Q's....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

adOggy07

KSU CVM C/O 2012
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

First of all, congrats to everyone who is interviewing this year! :D

I was going through some of the questions in the "Interview" section we have here that previous interviewees have been asked and some of them got me a little worried...

My issue is that I don't have a lot of experience with large animals, nor have I received much education about large animals. My undergrad major was Zoology and my clinical experiences have all been at small animal hospitals.

It kind of looked like a lot of the questions in the interviews were about large animals... ex: List some major diseases in equines, What is B.S.E.? What is hoof and mouth disease?

I realize that there is going to be a mix of questions and behavioral type questions as well, but since I don't have a huge background in large animals, will the interviewers steer clear from questions like in the examples that I gave above? Or am I expected to study up on basic information on large animals before my interview.... I mean, I definitely knew that B.S.E. was Mad Cow Disease... but I really couldn't tell you what hoof and mouth disease is, and my list of major diseases of equines would probably consist of one item if any. :eek:

Anyone know if interviewers ask questions that are only related to your background? Or if I am expected to study up on large animal medicine? Any advice and opinions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Karen

Members don't see this ad.

i would not worry about studying up on large animal stuff. they normally stick to your field. if they do ask you what seems like an 'easy' question (b.s.e.) and you don't know, just say so. don't make up some bs and hope they won't see right thru your lying butt ;) i would look up some info about the school and the vet program itself. i also prepared a small list of questions for the interviewers. people like to hear themselves talk and it isn't any different in a vet school interview. :p

Though I don't thin they would ask you specific large animal questions, you should study up on things like BSE, foot and mouth, avian influenza (really any big public health risk) being that these are huge issues and they expect that you should have a grasp of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed - hot topics that are in the news may come up but I doubt they would ask you about any equine diseases if you don't have any experience with horses.

A few weeks ago someone posted a link to a list of possible/probable interview questions. I think it was a word document. I was in a hurry when I first found it and NOW I want it and I can't seem to find it again. Could someone help me out and repost the link? Thank you thank you! :)