Interview Notification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbernar1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know interview season generally is end of Nov. to early Feb. depending on the program. But does anybody know how soon after submitting our applications on Sept 2 can we expect to be notified that programs want to give us an interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Some programs may send you an invitation in Oct if you seem like an outstanding candidate while others don't send any out until after deans' letters are sent out on Nov 1

It depends on the specialty too. You are more likely to get early invites in IM, Peds, Psych, FP than the other specialties.

Hi

For IM the busiest month is October. But you will continue to get offers throughout the season.

lf

I got some interview offers the very next day after sending out ERAS (for pediatrics.)

The latest I got an interview was somewhere around the 10th of Nov.

good luck

Do they ever call you to notify you about an interview....or do they always send an email???

Most places did e-mails for me. A few did call, only, maybe 3 places.

amdap said:
Most places did e-mails for me. A few did call, only, maybe 3 places.

Did any of them call when you weren't home....and did they leave a message on the machine or did they keep calling until they got you in person?

Jamezuva said:
Did any of them call when you weren't home....and did they leave a message on the machine or did they keep calling until they got you in person?

doesn't everyone own a cell phone?

uhh..no, not everyone is a preppy like you, sorry :p

if the place calls, they will generally leave a message if you aren't around. some places called and sent an email.

Did you have to have all of your LORs in before getting interview offers?

phillybabe said:
Did you have to have all of your LORs in before getting interview offers?

I think you need to have in all the LORs that make your application "complete" in the eyes of the program. For instance, if you turn in ERAS with LORs from Writer 1 and Writer 2 - then you may get offers from programs that only need 2 LORs, but probably not yet from programs that need 3 LORs or a Chairman's LOR or something like that. Of course, you can always upload LORs to ERAS as they come in, but it would be ideal to have them in before submitting ERAS.

good luck

amdap said:
I think you need to have in all the LORs that make your application "complete" in the eyes of the program. For instance, if you turn in ERAS with LORs from Writer 1 and Writer 2 - then you may get offers from programs that only need 2 LORs, but probably not yet from programs that need 3 LORs or a Chairman's LOR or something like that. Of course, you can always upload LORs to ERAS as they come in, but it would be ideal to have them in before submitting ERAS.

good luck

That would definitely be ideal, but several of the PD's I've spoken with say they start sending out interview offers before all of the LOR's and Dean's letters are in. Your basic profile on ERAS with your grades, step scores, and CV often gives enough info for them to offer interviews.

Hercules said:
That would definitely be ideal, but several of the PD's I've spoken with say they start sending out interview offers before all of the LOR's and Dean's letters are in. Your basic profile on ERAS with your grades, step scores, and CV often gives enough info for them to offer interviews.
Yeah, I agree with you. I just meant that it would be ideal, and maybe some programs may not want to see things come to their desk piece-meal. But, if PDs have told you otherwise, I would go with that. All my LORs were in by the time I submitted my ERAS in the first week it opened. But I also started bugging them early. :)

amdap said:
Yeah, I agree with you. I just meant that it would be ideal, and maybe some programs may not want to see things come to their desk piece-meal. But, if PDs have told you otherwise, I would go with that. All my LORs were in by the time I submitted my ERAS in the first week it opened. But I also started bugging them early. :)

Strong work! I set up a meeting with one of my letter writers in early June to discuss writing a letter. I brought in all my stuff (CV, ERAS letter, transcript, etc.), but they told me to just keep it and bring it back in September when they sat down to write the letter. What do you say to that? Obviously, I would have preferred they start on it before September, but what can you politely do...