Interview invites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barmay

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This ERAS thing is taking more time then I thought! I will be submitting it tommorrow, but I was wondering, did anyone hear back from programs yet, or is it still too early for interview invites to be going on.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah, it's still too early yet. In past years on otomatch, they weren't hearing until late september, early october. ENT is traditionally later than others. The running theory is that the academy meeting gets in the way. I wouldn't hold your breath until folks return from chicago in a few weeks.

sounds good! I guess there is no rush in submitting it now then, I am probably going to wait a few more days

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It looks like applicants started receiving interviews on Oct. 1st and 2nd last year... Anyone have any luck so far?

Maaaaybe...PM me

no interviews- but no rejections either.

a few requests for supplemental stuff (eye exam, photo- cv- paragraph explaining "why") I'm thinking these are routine...

when should we start thinking of backups?

FWIW, I got my first invite today- Mayo scottsdale.

Yeah, it's still too early yet. In past years on otomatch, they weren't hearing until late september, early october. ENT is traditionally later than others. The running theory is that the academy meeting gets in the way. I wouldn't hold your breath until folks return from chicago in a few weeks.

What day does the academy meeting occur this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardens

"What day does the academy meeting occur this year. "

The meeting's over now. Usually, it takes place in late september. I'm not sure what the dates are for '09.

Interviews should start rolling in any day now. It seems about 10 programs have started offering at this point, gauging by otomatch.com.

is it common practice for ENT programs to offer "courtesy" invites?

ex. home state- away rotation etc.

I would guess no. There are so many qualified applicants, and so difficult to narrow the field, that they don't want to waste everyone's time by interviewing someone they know they won't rank (or is unlikely to rank them in the case of geography).

Courtesy invites are by no means common.

In my residency, we actually did not invite a couple sub-Is for interviews because we thought they were completely not compatible with the program.

For people who live in the state or have ties to the region, it's common to invite them for interviews -- if they are good candidates, not because they are regional.