Interview info and chances help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AmericanArthurDent

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is my first time posting. I am a first time applicant and so far I feel like I've grasped the process. Submitted my primary on June 4th, secondaries in timely manners. I have a decent app, but I know nothing about the post-secondary application process. Some of my friends have interviews already, but I'm sitting here with no word from any of the schools I applied to.

I have a decent app. MCAT 519: C/P-130, B/B-131, CARS-128, P/S-130 with cGPA-3.7 and sGPA-3.6. 200 hours of clinical volunteer, about 500 of wet chemistry research.

As a Minnesota resident, I applied to and finished secondaries for...
U Minn
U Wisconsin
U Iowa
U Michigan
Mayo
MCW
Tufts
Vermont
Penn State
NYMC

...and then ran out of money.

So, my main questions are:
1. Now that I have the funds, should I bother applying to schools that sent me secondaries ~1 month ago?
2. How early should I start hearing back about interviews (assuming I get any)
3. Am I being overly neurotic (probably yes)

Thanks for all your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, send more secondaries. You are aiming low, given your stats. Vermont, NYMC, MCW are likely to think that you are treating them as safeties and won't waste an interview slot on you if they think you are likely to go elsewhere. I don't know much about being OOS applicant at Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan. I do know that Penn State and Vermont are OOS friendly but they may think you are destined for the more prestigious Midwestern schools (UChicago, WashU, Northwestern) or the big Eastcoast schools.

You may get interviews anytime between today and mid-March. Find something to fill your time because it can be a long, wait before you hear anything.

Reactions: 1 users
Yes, send more secondaries. You are aiming low, given your stats. Vermont, NYMC, MCW are likely to think that you are treating them as safeties and won't waste an interview slot on you if they think you are likely to go elsewhere. I don't know much about being OOS applicant at Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan. I do know that Penn State and Vermont are OOS friendly but they may think you are destined for the more prestigious Midwestern schools (UChicago, WashU, Northwestern) or the big Eastcoast schools.

You may get interviews anytime between today and mid-March. Find something to fill your time because it can be a long, wait before you hear anything.
Thank you so much for your help. I actually used your famous score calculator but could barely believe the schools it recommended to me (I was thinking I would barely get into any MD program at all)! I appreciate your feedback and will send more secondaries.

you're aiming low... I'd recommend looking into Pitt and Emory-caliber schools. as a general rule, only apply to private schools out of state, unless you've really done sufficient research on a public oos and maybe even if you can justify the app with a connection to the state.

just my 0.02 tho. you should definitely get some interviews, unless your primary statement was about that one time you got caught running a corpse through a wood chipper.