Interview for NECO/MCPHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

taghabab

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

So I recently got 2 interview invites from NECO and MCPHS.. I just wanted to get some input for what kind of specific questions they ask? I know the general questions (i.e. why did you choose optometry over other professions, etc.) but I would like some feedback from those of you who have gotten an interview and/or have been accepted. Some tips? I am kind of nervous at the same time excited...Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

I can't wait until I get my interviews. But honestly based on my research, just be yourself, let them know who you are, don't be a fake person, because they can smell fakeness.

Hey guys,

So I recently got 2 interview invites from NECO and MCPHS.. I just wanted to get some input for what kind of specific questions they ask? I know the general questions (i.e. why did you choose optometry over other professions, etc.) but I would like some feedback from those of you who have gotten an interview and/or have been accepted. Some tips? I am kind of nervous at the same time excited...Thanks! :)

I interviewed and was accepted to MCPHS. They ask questions like why optometry? They ask about your community service experiences and work experiences. They ask what you would do in an ethical situation etc. Pretty standard. Everyone was nice and it was pretty laid back. Got the acceptance letter in a week. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, what were your stats? (GPA/OAT)

I interviewed and was accepted to MCPHS. They ask questions like why optometry? They ask about your community service experiences and work experiences. They ask what you would do in an ethical situation etc. Pretty standard. Everyone was nice and it was pretty laid back. Got the acceptance letter in a week. Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Hey... Thanks so much and I will let you know how it goes... :)

Apparently there is a writing sample before the interview for MCPHS... How was that for you?

Also, is MCPHS a closed interview? I know Neco is a closed interview...because they want to get to know who you are vs academics/OAT, etc.

Also, did you like MCPHS? Aren't they still building the school? lol

Also, did you like MCPHS? Aren't they still building the school? lol

I had 3.4 GPA and 290AA and 300total. The writing sample was super easy just something about a hard decision you had to make in the past or something. The school has several building on the street. they bought a hotel and are making it into classrooms. The interview was open filed. They look at every single thing on your application so make sure you remember what you wrote! They were really nice though so not to worry. There's a couple hotels in the area that offer a free shuttle to and from the school. I found one right down the street on hotels.com. The give a discount for MCPHS students...it's actually on their website! Let me know if you have any other questions!

I forgot to mention...yes I loved the school! It's really nice and has great facilities. 35,000 for tuition is pretty steep though. I think neco also has high tuition rates. Just something to consider!

Good job! Is Watertown, MA diverse?

I had 3.4 GPA and 290AA and 300total. The writing sample was super easy just something about a hard decision you had to make in the past or something. The school has several building on the street. they bought a hotel and are making it into classrooms. The interview was open filed. They look at every single thing on your application so make sure you remember what you wrote! They were really nice though so not to worry. There's a couple hotels in the area that offer a free shuttle to and from the school. I found one right down the street on hotels.com. The give a discount for MCPHS students...it's actually on their website! Let me know if you have any other questions!

Good job! Is Watertown, MA diverse?

MCPHS is in Worcester, MA which is about half an hour from Boston! It is fairly diverse. There is not that much to do there from what I saw, but I was only there for one day! But it is near Boston so that's nice. Boston is REALLY diverse! They will probably have really good clinical training because of the diversity of people living in the area. My suggestion is to go to the interview and see what you think. It is a risk in general to apply to a new program, but all programs have to start somewhere. I believe they will properly train their ODs. As I stated before though, their tuition is very high. If you get in somewhere with lower tuition, that might be a better bet!

I believe they will properly train their ODs. As I stated before though, their tuition is very high. If you get in somewhere with lower tuition, that might be a better bet!

Just out of curiosity, what makes you believe that they will properly train their graduates? New programs have massive hurdles to overcome, even in a good professional climate. The new school in MA will face serious animosity from virtually all ODs in the surrounding regions. That translates to crappy 4th year rotations. Where do you learn how to be an OD? On your 4th year rotations. It can take years for a school to develop good relationships with external rotation sites. MCPHS will be creating a smoke and mirrors show for all of its incoming victims....I mean students. If you sign up for a program like WesternU, Midwestern, MCPHS, Grundy or any of the other 47 new school popping up everywhere, be prepared to be unprepared. You face the very distinct possibility that when you graduate, no one will want to come near you with a ten foot pole. It will be bad enough for those coming out of reputable programs, but people coming out of the new "Student Loan Theft Ring Programs" as I like to call them, will be even more screwed.

Oh, and if you interview at MCPHS, tell him thanks for kicking optometry when it's already on the ground. I'm sure he'll have all kinds of hot air to blow up your tail pipe. The guy is a complete charlatan who's selling out optometry for his own benefit.

I just received an interview from MCPHS (not till the end of March though!) Did you like the school? (as opposed to the other ones that you applied to?)
I have also applied to NECO, but they have not granted me an interview and want me to retake my OAT (290). I'm trying to figure out if it is worth retaking the OAT and hope they like it and grant me an interview or just go with MCPHS seeing that they granted me an interview (when you get an interview are your chances of getting into that school pretty good?)
Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, what makes you believe that they will properly train their graduates? New programs have massive hurdles to overcome, even in a good professional climate. The new school in MA will face serious animosity from virtually all ODs in the surrounding regions. That translates to crappy 4th year rotations. Where do you learn how to be an OD? On your 4th year rotations. It can take years for a school to develop good relationships with external rotation sites. MCPHS will be creating a smoke and mirrors show for all of its incoming victims....I mean students. If you sign up for a program like WesternU, Midwestern, MCPHS, Grundy or any of the other 47 new school popping up everywhere, be prepared to be unprepared. You face the very distinct possibility that when you graduate, no one will want to come near you with a ten foot pole. It will be bad enough for those coming out of reputable programs, but people coming out of the new "Student Loan Theft Ring Programs" as I like to call them, will be even more screwed.

Oh, and if you interview at MCPHS, tell him thanks for kicking optometry when it's already on the ground. I'm sure he'll have all kinds of hot air to blow up your tail pipe. The guy is a complete charlatan who's selling out optometry for his own benefit.

I can just see Jason K sh*tting his pants when he found out there was a 4th new Optometry school lol

I just received an interview from MCPHS (not till the end of March though!) Did you like the school? (as opposed to the other ones that you applied to?)
I have also applied to NECO, but they have not granted me an interview and want me to retake my OAT (290). I'm trying to figure out if it is worth retaking the OAT and hope they like it and grant me an interview or just go with MCPHS seeing that they granted me an interview (when you get an interview are your chances of getting into that school pretty good?)
Thanks!
I loved the school! If you get an interview, you should get in. Unless you blow the interview but I am sure you will be fine! Just be yourself and make sure you can think on the spot because they ask some interesting questions lol

Oh that's great, thanks! I'm looking forward to the interview and going on a tour!

I know this is a little late but it's hard to keep track of all the forums that are on here. I wanted to respond to you anyways just in case prospective students land on this page. I am a first year student at MCPHS but I have worked in Optometry for years now. Although MCPHS has a new optometry program, it is NOT a new school. MCPHS was actually the first school in Boston and they have a proven record of success. In terms of being prepared clinically, we see patients starting 3 weeks into the first semester. Clinical procedures are broken down so you have a proficiency every couple weeks but once you are proficient in lab then you are allowed to practice on a patient. Now i'm almost at the end of my first year (we have a summer semester) and we just became proficient in tonometry. We are now working on gonioscopy. This is well a head of most if not all other schools. Just being in clinic exposes us to many patients and the experience we gain during each clinic session is priceless. Although we may not perform all parts of the exam, we still learn how to work with patients and how to troubleshoot various ocular diseases and conditions. By the time we actually take on a full exam on our own, I know that we will all be prepared.

In terms of clinical sites, our preceptors are not new. Most actually worked at other schools and decided to join us. Dr. Janette Sewell and Dr. Kristen Brown are in charge of our clinical rotations and they are VERY well respected in the field so no prospective student needs to worry about rotation sites. By the time we are at our external sites, our clinical knowledge and training will speak for itself.

I can understand your point about being a new school and technically we are underdogs but my first class has been amazing. We have already sent a number of representatives to Vision Expo East and Optometry's Meeting. We are putting our school on the map in a way that people will not forget us anytime soon.

There is a lot to do in Worcester, but it's not as obvious as Boston. Worcester is known for it's restaurants and basically you can find any food you want here. The cost of living is also much more reasonable. Also being in Worcester there is a lot of need for healthcare. This allows us to see some very interesting cases in our clinic.

In closing, I definitely recommend our school and anyone who is looking to go to Optometry School should learn about us and definitely check us out to see if we are a good fit. Let me know if you have any questions!

I just received an interview from MCPHS and I was just wondering about the interview process? Also they sent me a prerequisite work sheet along with the letter about my interview. Is that normal?

ICO has a prerequisite sheet in their secondary application, so it's not completely unprecedented, I guess?

Also, I am really nervous about the interview. Does anyone know what kind of questions MCPHS asks on their writing sample?