Interview Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LaFondaDynamite

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know interviews will be starting soon. How about a thread on how the interview went, pros, cons about programs so we can all compare notes? My first one is on Friday so I'll let ya know then. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I'll kick this off...

I interviewed at MUSC on Friday (my first). The experience was generally very laid back and very interviewee friendly. Morning report, then an overview of the program by the residency director, then some touring, then interviews (two attendings, one may or may not be the program director), then a talk with the head of the department (if he's in town), then lunch with residents, then last-minute questions with the program director.

My 2 interviewers were very informal, asked me to call them by their first/nicknames, and mostly focused on the non-medical stuff on my CV. They were both very conversational and very open in their answers to my questions about the program, as were the residents, who all seem very happy.

Anyone want to know anything else, feel free to ask :)

I recently interviewed at UT-Southwestern.

I really enjoyed the experience and it will likely be towards the top of my rank list. The residents took us out to dinner in the night before and were totally real and very honest, they weren't trying to push a "sell", but seemed happy at southwestern. The conversation was great, didn't always focus on the program/medicine, and didn't feel forced.

The interview day was fantastic. Maybe I still have the model of med school interview processes in the back of my mind. The feel was that the program was trying to help us find the best fit, even if that wasn't southwestern. I was impressed by the recruitmnet leaders, when they met the individual interviewees they specifically remembered interests/little nuances in LORs. I equally enjoyed my interviewers.

The facilities were great (patient and resident) and the residents see a lot of flow. Lots of support staff, many residents/attendings commented on the good comraderie amongsts attengins/residents/support staff (they go to happy hour). Four other types of residents do some of the same rotations: anesthesia, surgery, family med, and emergency; they said that they all get along well. Every english sign had a corresponding spanish sign; the residents also said that translators are just a phone call away and everyone knows how to get a hold of them. It also seems like the residents are treated pretty well here.

Some negatives...very few residents actually attended morning report; but this could have been an off day. It also seemed as though the residents do get worked pretty hard, but that having been said its good for learning and many of the residents commented throughout the day that they never felt alone in patient care and always had back up. They also said that although they didn't necessarily have a ton of time to study, their in service exam scores went up tremendously.

Of note the program director said that they do not contact applicants after their interview but that we are more than welcome to contact the program.

Members don't see this ad :)
HA. UT-SW happens to be my next interview... anyone want to post about Tucson?? (my interview after that :))

Just finished a tour of Cinnci Children's, U Chicago, Mayo, MGH, WAsh U. Pretty much all the interviews were very liad back, alot of "do you have any questions", which, after dinner the night before, lunch with residents, and an PD overview, you really don't, but you have to come up with something to fill the half hour! The only exception (kinda) was U Chicago, who had lots of questions about my CV and my past pediatric experience, but nothing too awful....

Briefly, my take was...
Cinnci Children's - state of the art everything, huge program (and hospital), but with great residents who clearly love it there (boy do they sell it). Residents really get their say and are taken seriously. Cinncinati as a city, however...equivocal

U Chicago - New Hospital (and everything that comes with that), PD is a dynamo, who is all about the residents. Teaching galore, definitely looked a well thought out program, but they were clearly not keen on me...

Mayo - Larger than I thought (in retrospect) & is the friendiest place on earth - the residents and faculty were genuinely nice, with alot of teaching, and with lots of elective time to tailor your experience to what you want. loved it.

MGH - teaching like nobody's business, with lots of community experience - you'll definitely get 'autonomy', half the residents were very cool, the other half were a bit taken with being from Harvard (I thought) - fair bit of travelling required for the outside sites...

WAsh U - big hospital, but nice facilities, lots of expansion going on (to make single rooms out of doubles and expand the PICU, NICU) , pretty academic (surprise!), lots and lots of cases, residents work hard, but seem happy and hang out together (alot)....

If anyone wants to compare notes, or know more, just let me know...

I've had U of MD, St. Chris and Columbia.

U of MD: not impressed by the interim chair. there will be a new one starting from Rainbow Babies in the spring. it seemed my interviewers had not even glanced at my application. i had to tell them everything about myself (ie- what i want to do with my life-- that was CLEARLY stated in my essay). They also said: I'm sure you will find other programs that will provide you with what you're looking for (international experiences). No one smiling.

St. Chris: Much better. My interviewers were *young* attendings that seemed very focused on convincing me why St. Chris would be the best place for me. Everyone was smiling all the time. The hospital is cute and friendly atmosphere. The chairman is a trip and the PDs seem to really care about us. Not much international opportunities, it seems.

Columbia: AMAZING. The PD knew everything about me, and even commented on my international experience during the "overview" session. The interviewers clearly read my application and were selling me the program as well as giving me heart to heart life advice. I felt like I "belong." 7 residents this year are in developing countries for one month.

I have Georgetown and Rochester this week... so more to come!

Here's my list so far...

Med College of Wisconsin: Interviewed with PD, 2 faculty members, and program secretary. Everyone was very nice and the interview felt laid back. Had a stand alone hospital that was pretty decent. Residents seemed very happy. Program director was very enthusiastic. Has lots of fellowship options.

Michigan: Interviewed with PD and one faculty member. Residents seemed happy. Interesting morning report. Met up with med-peds applicants for lunch, and residents seemed to clump together and not interact much with applicants which was weird. Very small ER that actually closes at night. Not terribly impressed, but mostly turned off my PD's oddly weak handshake...hey, I'm allowed to be picky. New children's hospital about to be built.

Cleveland Clinic: Interviewed with PD, 1 faculty, 1 chief. Residents seemed very happy. Big bonus is shift work and no call during first year on wards. Downside is all the scut work you have to do, like put in all IV's which sounds great until you realize that you'll be getting all the calls about replacing everyone's IVs that fall out. Really missed the stand alone hospital feel. Has a fantastic cardiac center.

Rainbow Babies: Interviewed with 2 faculty members and had a group 30 minute meeting with chair. Resident get together the night before was very fun and relaxed. Lots of fellowship opportunities. Emphasis on teaching. Nice hospital. Residents were nice as well. Mandatory senior research project. Emphasis on international opportunities.

CHOP: Interviewed with PD and fellow. Most of the applicants all came from big name schools or had some connection to Phili except for me, but the PD went out of his way to make sure that I felt important. Everything was very laid back. The hospital is huge and nice. They've made a lot of changes to make residency more bearable. I got the feeling that the residents work very very hard, but learn a ton. Lots of opportunities here. Residents all seemed to get along and spend lots of time outside the hospital.

Lots more to go, will keep you posted.

My interview experience

Brown: Wonderful atmosphere. Residents appeared very happy and the PD was very much interested in getting intelligent interns who are genuinely down to earth, caring people.
The teaching is beyond excellent with daily interactive morning reports, noon conference and teaching rounds presented by residents. The facilities were amazing. It has one of three largest NICU in the country (census of 80)
Overall the interview was very laid back; you are interviewed by 2 faculty, 30 min each. Questions were geared toward specific activities in the CV.

Next interview: Columbia

FOREAL said:
My interview experience

Brown: Wonderful atmosphere. Residents appeared very happy and the PD was very much interested in getting intelligent interns who are genuinely down to earth, caring people.
The teaching is beyond excellent with daily interactive morning reports, noon conference and teaching rounds presented by residents. The facilities were amazing. It has one of three largest NICU in the country (census of 80)
Overall the interview was very laid back; you are interviewed by 2 faculty, 30 min each. Questions were geared toward specific activities in the CV.

Next interview: Columbia

80 Bed NICU!! Are you Foreal?

hahaha

scholes said:
80 Bed NICU!! Are you Foreal?

hahaha
Hey Scholes,

Yeah. I am totally being 'foreal' :D
Although I must add that the NICU is not as fancy as the rest of the hospital...they are currently undergoing renovation!
But the point is that there is such a huge census, that you would turn out to be quite confident by the time they finish with you. :p

Does know anything about Boston Childrens?

FOREAL said:
Hey Scholes,

Yeah. I am totally being 'foreal' :D
Although I must add that the NICU is not as fancy as the rest of the hospital...they are currently undergoing renovation!
But the point is that there is such a huge census, that you would turn out to be quite confident by the time they finish with you. :p

Does know anything about Boston Childrens?

Here's what I know about childrens. I've talked to a few residents about both MGH and Children's. Apparently most HMS grads are opting to go to MGH over Children's because the atmosphere is much better. It's all a matter of perspective I suppose, but I've heard it over and over again. Children's seems like a tough place ... top notch, but you work hard and I have certainly heard of residents being unhappy.

That being said, next year I'll definately apply there and check it out for myself.

Has any had an interview at Boston Children's? Just interested in what to expect

As far as my interview at Columbia, I can't say that I thougt it was amazing. The Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital is located in Washington Heights, manhattan. (close to Harlem, NY). Anyway the hospital is very new (2 years old). The floors are wonderful. It has a very large unit for the PICU as well as a cardiac intensive care unit (which reflects how big Peds Cardio...so if you are interested in this subspecialty...Columbia is great)

The residents seemed to engage each other during intake aka morning report. I can not say that camaderie prevails, but there is a level of teamwork that exists. I was not impressed about where intake took place...it was in a small room on a white board (I guess the setup was not what I expected from a newly built hospital)

The residents do work hard. They are on q4 year round for all 3 years. But then again what intern does not work their but off (it doesn't matter what program you go to). The residents report that it is not a competitive environment, however I definitely did not get the feel that everyone is down-to-earth.

There is a thread in the IM forum in which the poster (SpoonMan) gives great advice about what to observe on your interview and I must say that although Columbia is wonderful academically, new hospital in the middle of the city, great exposure to various groups of people in the community, I did feel that the interview day was too "prepared" and I could not get a real sense of the atmosphere at Columbia.

I just wish that everyone else who describes their experience can express what they truly felt about the program no matter how great the name is. I guess if you are intern or someone who did an away elective then your assessment is far better than just an interview.

Although the residents and program director at Yale seem very cool, the 2 gentleman who interviewed me were not. I will summarize only by sharing that one of the interviewers asked me, "So tell me, do you consider yourself smart?" Gee, I'm about to gradute with an MD-MPH so I'm probably not a *****. Enough said.

klekolo said:
Although the residents and program director at Yale seem very cool, the 2 gentleman who interviewed me were not. I will summarize only by sharing that one of the interviewers asked me, "So tell me, do you consider yourself smart?" Gee, I'm about to gradute with an MD-MPH so I'm probably not a *****. Enough said.
Hey Klekolo,

I am so sorry to hear that an interviewer would ask such a question. I dont understand the purpose of that question, other than to you annoy you and/or make you feel uncomfortable. I hope I dont end up with that interviewer. I was just wondering if you could elaborate about what you thought of the program. It seems like alot of the my colleagues last year (now interns) loved the Peds program.
Just curious to know what you think of the program?

Georgetown:
Not so impressed... didn't like the feel.

ROchester:
Awesome but don't know if i can deal with the weather.

Baylor:
Way too big for me.

Brown:
Great feel. I liked it.

Tufts:
Worked too hard for too little reward i think.

If "on hold" for an interview at CHOP, do you think there is still a chance for an interview?

Thanks

Finally finished (too exhuasted to do anymore) my last five. Again, mostly laid back interviews, with the occassional - "what was your most challenging experience" thrown in. My take was...

Jackson Memorial (U Miami) - put us up in the swankiest hotel - a spa with hot tubs and flat screens in the bathroom. Pity the program didn't quite live up to all that. Very busy, and you'll certainly get to *do* alot (of IV's etc.). PD is a very resdient oriented/friendly guy. They're still trying to get their outpatient experience sorted out, and the residents are definitely overwhelmed on their NICU rotations (80+beds?). Some of them were a little disappointed with the scut work, although they'd choose JAckson again. Spanish-speaking really wasn't a big deal.

Miami Children's - A comprehensive children's hospital with a huge patient base (often 20+ admissions per night), including everything from the latin American/Caribbean basin - meaning you'll definitely get to see it all. Heavily first year weighted - killer calls, which all but disappear in 2nd and 3rd year. No outside electives allowed. Resdients were happy, and well looked after. PD is sort of a resident-friendly dictator...

Duke - More than adequate hospital within a hospital. Some push and pull with UNC, but good patient load and lots of teaching. New chairman, has a clear (and good) vision for the residency program and the peds dept. Residents were not unhappy, but I'm not sure of how well they get along with each other...even more questionable that we only got to speak with a couple interns...

Hopkins - Agreeable residents, although not terribly outgoing. 3rd years pretty much run the floors, which meant that rounds (that we saw) were much more business than teaching, but there are plenty of teaching opportunities otherwise. THey have a night team from 7 pm to 7 am, which operates like a day team as far as management, but means that you get TWO golden weekends a month on the floors - residents loved it. THe hopsital is OLD and the peds floors are separated by a few floors well, requiring serious stair walking (the elevators are too slow). Most faculty were pleasant, although still the iciest on my trail. Case load is very subspecialized, with lots of zebras. Clinics are outside of hospital. Baltimore wasn't as bad as I feared, but there were a couple 'held up at gun point' stories.

Sinai Baltimore - small community hospital with a very diverse patient, ancillary and resident population. A very close relationship with Hopkins means that residents get into top fellowships, especially at Hopkins. Feel is intimate where everybody knows everybody. More than sufficient NICU and PICU experience, with most subspeicalities covered (where they aren't, they import them from Maryland or Hopkins) - seemed a decent place to get some peds training in a supportive environment. However, the PD scared me a bit (a little high strung?) and the Chairman (Hopkins trained) had a bit of chip about people thinking of Sinai as just another community hospital.

I am a resident at Hopkins - so just wanted to comment briefly about the above statement. I just wanted to say that our patient population is FAR from subspecialized and zebras. We have more than enough of the bread and butter pediatrics. We do have the zebras as well but they are NOT the norm. We also spend a few months out at a community hospital which is all bread and butter peds. Also - as for the rounds, it is true that the third years run the rounds, but the attending has 3 one hour sessions a week to teach solely on the patients etc. The attending is also around a lot for help. I really enjoy rounding with the team first because it gives you a chance to make decisions and not to be guided completely by the attending. As for Baltimore - I was very unsure of the place before I came but I love it now. As for being held up at gun point - as for any city - you just have to know where not to go. I hope this helps.