Interview Day Anxiety

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have my first interview coming up in less than 2 weeks & I'm really anxious because it is at my primary school choice. I wouldn't be worrying if it was some other school first, since I would be able to practice lol.

I panic inside & I tend to just freeze during it. I am afraid that on the day of my interview, something like that would happen & I'd probably freeze in the middle of my answers.

I guess I'm just looking for advice, especially from those who tend to get anxious like me. How did you cope with that?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not sure there's an easy way out of being anxious about something you've never experienced before. It's natural, although clearly it affects different people to different degrees. If your anxiety is that disabling, you should speak to a doctor about it. You've got plenty more anxiety-inducing moments ahead: big exams, presentations, licensing board exams, moving around for externships, residency interviews, job interviews, certification board exams.

Good luck on your interviews.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
The interviewers understand that prospective students are nervous. It is okay to be nervous; it means that you care a lot about this interview and want to become a podiatrist. The best thing to do in my opinion is to take some breaths and prepare as well as you can by using the interview feedback on SDN. This will give you a good gist of what to expect and memorize answers to a certain extent. Practice with some friends too if you wish. It is okay to take your time answering questions. Pausing for a few seconds after a question is asked does not show a sign of weakness, it is much better than saying fillers such as "like" and "umm". This allows you to control the tempo of your interview and allows you more command of the situation. You got an invite which means they already like you; just finish the job and go home knowing you did your best. I hope this helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
It really helped me to read through the interview feedback section here before each school I interviewed at. My first school was the one I most wanted to get in to, so it really helped to be able to know how the day was going to go, what I was going to be doing, who I would be talking to, etc. and I found all the information very accurate. My next interview was at Barry, which I was actually more nervous for (surprisingly for me) because I had to get on a plane to get there, and my timing for everything was very tight, so again knowing what would be happening (like that I would be starting the day writing) was incredibly helpful. The interviewers were also really good at relaxing us. I would make sure you have answers to the usual questions prepared, as well as having questions ready for the interviewers that show you read up on the school.

I could totally relate to your situation. I'm very nervous and stutter like crazy, say 'umm...' a lot and no eye contact when speaking. I did mock interviews with my friends in med school, pharm school and nursing and my best advice through my own interviews and mock interviews is to take it slow and breathe. Don't be afraid to pause and think for a couple seconds to gather your thoughts.

I made an outline of all the questions I could possibly find on SDN and answered them so that way I have a good idea of how to introduce myself even though during those interviews I wasn't even asked any of the questions from SDN interview feedback lol. But my cheat sheet helped because even though they didn't ask me any of those questions, I could pull my answers up and somehow relate it to their question.

Find someone who intimidates you and also look up to. Mine was my best friend. She's an amazing speaker. I knew that if I could talk to her and practice with her, I could overcome my nervousness....which I did.

During my interviews at the school, I totally froze I don't even remember if I shook hands with the interviewer before and after or even said thank you, but I got accepted to all the schools I interviewed at. But that's how nervous I was. However, every night before my interview, I would practice in front of the mirror as much as I hated it. Practicing in front of the mirror and a wall will really help you focus.

Also, in order to not be so nervous at my interviews because I'm very bad at eye contact and I tend to look away when I'm thinking of what to say and to stop that tendency, I look at their chin or the top of their hairline. They won't be able to tell because I tried it with my friend. she didn't notice at all. This HELPED a lot with my anxiety and nervousness. Best of luck to you!!! You can do this!! Just breathe before you go in and take a good and strong breath before you begin. :) You got this.

Reactions: 1 user
I could totally relate to your situation. I'm very nervous and stutter like crazy, say 'umm...' a lot and no eye contact when speaking. I did mock interviews with my friends in med school, pharm school and nursing and my best advice through my own interviews and mock interviews is to take it slow and breathe. Don't be afraid to pause and think for a couple seconds to gather your thoughts.

I made an outline of all the questions I could possibly find on SDN and answered them so that way I have a good idea of how to introduce myself even though during those interviews I wasn't even asked any of the questions from SDN interview feedback lol. But my cheat sheet helped because even though they didn't ask me any of those questions, I could pull my answers up and somehow relate it to their question.

Find someone who intimidates you and also look up to. Mine was my best friend. She's an amazing speaker. I knew that if I could talk to her and practice with her, I could overcome my nervousness....which I did.

During my interviews at the school, I totally froze I don't even remember if I shook hands with the interviewer before and after or even said thank you, but I got accepted to all the schools I interviewed at. But that's how nervous I was. However, every night before my interview, I would practice in front of the mirror as much as I hated it. Practicing in front of the mirror and a wall will really help you focus.

Also, in order to not be so nervous at my interviews because I'm very bad at eye contact and I tend to look away when I'm thinking of what to say and to stop that tendency, I look at their chin or the top of their hairline. They won't be able to tell because I tried it with my friend. she didn't notice at all. This HELPED a lot with my anxiety and nervousness. Best of luck to you!!! You can do this!! Just breathe before you go in and take a good and strong breath before you begin. :) You got this.

I saw you posted your mcat score in other posts & it’s similar to mine. Did any of the schools ask you about your mcat score during the interview? As in why it’s low or anything of that sort?

If it makes you feel better Podiatry schools are hungry for students so unless you're like crazy weird you'll probably get in. Even if you are a little weird if your stats are good enough I'm sure they'll over look it.

You only really need a "good" interview if you have borderline stats. I.E <492 or <3.2

I saw you posted your mcat score in other posts & it’s similar to mine. Did any of the schools ask you about your mcat score during the interview? As in why it’s low or anything of that sort?
Only one school mentioned my MCAT (Kent). They asked me what I did different to help me bring my score up 6 points. Also, just FYI, Kent Stare was the only school that asked me super straightforward interview questions about my grades, my fav class, etc. they asked me about my academics and work and study habits.

Other than that, western and dmu didn’t ask me anything about MCAT or my grades until i mentioned it lol but they were really nice about it.

Everyone I interviewed with at each school was so easy to talk to and friendly. They know people get nervous, so if you do, they will help to calm you down. I am sure you will have the same experience as me and your interview will go great. Good luck!

If it makes you feel better Podiatry schools are hungry for students so unless you're like crazy weird you'll probably get in. Even if you are a little weird if your stats are good enough I'm sure they'll over look it.

You only really need a "good" interview if you have borderline stats. I.E <492 or <3.2

My mcat is 488 but my gpa is 3.85. Should I be worried?

I wouldn't be worried, per say, but be prepared to explain why the low mcat, and how you plan todo things differently for big tests in the future (aka why a low mcat doesn't mean you'll fail boards)

Nah you should be fine. Some school weigh gpa more than Mcat. Temple for example cares more about Mcat so their you might be hit or miss, where Barry seems to be more about GPA so you would be good.

But basically if you didn't get screened out and you got an interview you're in. Just relax. Don't be weird. And most importantly be yourself. Good luck!