Interview Cancellation Etiquette

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SarahGM

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was accepted at one of my top choice schools, and would prefer not to keep some of my interview appointments at other schools.

What is the proper way to inform the schools of this? Email? Phone? Snail mail?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think that calling should be okay. Some schools may require the withdrawal in writing, but you can find that out when you call.

I think, though, that it is considered impolite to give less than 2 weeks notice of a cancellation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I called just so they know, and then sent a written statement to formally withdraw . I also thanked the staffs for being extremeley nice and helpful (they were) ... that's how I cancelled mine.

So is it considered rude or anything? Or do you think they would appreciate not having to deal with your application any more, since you won't be going there anyways?

The issue is that I have an interview in Philly next week (I live in NC), and I would really not like to miss more work. And I know that I won't be going to that particular school any more.

Would this really be rude, or would they understand?

I think it's totally cool to cancel provided you do it nicely. Even if it's somewhat late notice, the fact that you know for sure you won't be going there means you'd at least open a slot for someone else to get a late interview. And bottom line, at least you won't be wasting their time.

I think it would be different if you just didn't feel like doing the interview or wanted to reschedule. But the fact that you've gotten accepted somewhere (congrats, by the way) changes all that.

I canceled two of my interviews after my acceptance to my first choice school.

I called on the phone and then sent a follow-up email formally withdrawing my application from both schools.

Just do it as soon as you deciede so they can fill your interview spot.

If you decide to not do a secondary (that is not screened), do you formally have to withdrawl your application?