Interview attire

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What about makeup? Obviously nothing crazy colorful or heavy, but does anyone recommend avoiding it altogether?

Don't look like a street-corner hooker. But if you like make-up and think you rock the look, go for it. Tasteful amounts of makeup are ... tasteful.

Thoughts on dyed hair ? I have black hair with red/magenta highlights. I get compliments on it all the time, and it definitely isn't as crazy as say, teal highlights, but I wonder if I should dye it back to black for interviews! I've never had a problem interviewing with my hair dyed before, however, I've never applied to vet school before either !!

I think this one is tougher to answer, but my personal opinion as an older-middle-aged guy (i.e. I think I'm more in the grumpy-interviewer category than most of the younger posters here) is that dyed hair is well into the 'culturally accepted' column, even for older folks like me.

In other words - go for it.

But just like all the other stuff I mentioned - if you have some crazy 6-color striping pattern? You might want to un-dye it. If you have some cool highlights that accentuate your look but don't make people get all wide-eyed looking at the dazzling flower arrangement you have for hair? Go for it.

It's all about not overdoing it.

That said, I also agree with Dyachei - do what will make you most confident in yourself.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do spouses need to dress up or are jeans and a respectable t-shirt ok?

My mom went with me to interview days to attend the tours etc. She dressed nice in like black pants and a nice top. The way I looked at it, the entire day was about making a good impression and being on good behavior, not just the interview. I definitely don't think they need to wear a suit or anything, but from what I saw most people accompanying interviewees looked relatively nice.

My mom went with me to interview days to attend the tours etc. She dressed nice in like black pants and a nice top. The way I looked at it, the entire day was about making a good impression and being on good behavior, not just the interview. I definitely don't think they need to wear a suit or anything, but from what I saw most people accompanying interviewees looked relatively nice.

I'd prefer jeans and a button down. Just my personal preference. But I'm sure any nice shirt would be fine. Just don't stand out in a bad way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks guys! You're the best.

Agreed. Pretty much all the parents I saw were dressed similarly, I think it's a good plan to go that route.

So, I need some suit advice! I'm wearing a dark blue suit and was planning to wear a a dark dress shirt underneath (with a gray tie to contrast a tad bit so it doesn't look extremely dark). My brother offerred his two cents in saying I should wear a white undershirt and black tie since I should be "business-like" and not as if I'm "going out". I personally don't see having a dark undershirt and gray tie as being inappropriate or wildly out there but I could be mistaken. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

I heard a lot of people say that white shirts are the only color appropriate for an interview, but personally, I don't think a tasteful color is a bad idea at all. I know very little about men's fashion though.....

So, I need some suit advice! I'm wearing a dark blue suit and was planning to wear a a dark dress shirt underneath (with a gray tie to contrast a tad bit so it doesn't look extremely dark). My brother offerred his two cents in saying I should wear a white undershirt and black tie since I should be "business-like" and not as if I'm "going out". I personally don't see having a dark undershirt and gray tie as being inappropriate or wildly out there but I could be mistaken. Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated!

Just look professional and well-groomed. If what you're wearing makes you feel confident it will be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Trying to figure out what to do with my hair. It is just past shoulder length. I normally wear it down and straight, but want to (obviously) keep it out of my face for the interview. My hair is really fine and slips out of hair ties a lot. I was thinking of just pinning one side back behind my ear and tucking the other side behind my ear (my part is slightly off center).

Any suggestions? I'm probably way overthinking this!

Trying to figure out what to do with my hair. It is just past shoulder length. I normally wear it down and straight, but want to (obviously) keep it out of my face for the interview. My hair is really fine and slips out of hair ties a lot. I was thinking of just pinning one side back behind my ear and tucking the other side behind my ear (my part is slightly off center).

Any suggestions? I'm probably way overthinking this!

The important part is that it looks neat and isn't distracting (like, if you were always having to tuck it back behind your ear). Sounds like you have the right idea.

I heard a lot of people say that white shirts are the only color appropriate for an interview, but personally, I don't think a tasteful color is a bad idea at all. I know very little about men's fashion though.....

Just look professional and well-groomed. If what you're wearing makes you feel confident it will be fine.

Thank you guys for the input! I think I will end up going the more conservative route just to be safe!

Ahh the time has come to start thinking about interview attire... Personally all I have are men style suits (regardless of being female). Nothing flashy, only black and white. I could wear the pair of fitted black pants and find a nice purple blouse top. Would it be wise to get an entire new outfit for the interview of women style suit pants and top or could I pull off the more masculine look? I'm hopeless with fashion, any input would be fantastic.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't forget than an interview is like a first date, the school is checking you out, BUT they are also trying to woo you to choose them over other schools. That means you may be taking a tour through hospitals and anatomy labs. At one school, I even climbed through an entire cattle chute system in heels. Dress in a way that you can traverse these things easily.

For my interviews I wanted to feel like a million bucks. For me, that meant new clothes. I was also growing my hair out and it was at a very awkward length with nothing I could do with it, so I got an expensive haircut (birthday gift from family). I may have gotten my nails done, which I don't usually do, but I don't remember. All of this was important for me so I could feel super confident.

If all that would make you feel awkward, don't do it. Does wearing your sister's lucky blouse make you feel secure? Good luck charms may be silly but they are important if they are important to you. I wore my lucky purple unicorn socks under my heeled boots. No one knew...but I did!

Lastly - those of you with unconventional hair or body art or whatever, it can be polished too. You don't have to change who you are to show that you are taking the interview seriously. One of my (white) classmates has long dreads and tons of tats. She paid someone to do her hair up for a wedding and it was this gorgeous braided/knotted updo, would have been perfect for an interview. You can have a non-conventional appearance and be polished as hell.

In my experience, MOST schools do not care. Some more conservative schools with dress codes may care more, but vet med in general is a pretty accepting place for non-conventional personal presentation. Just be groomed and neat. You don't have to be someone you're not, just be the most polished version of you.

862b6cdf87ea544b382de16c3d1195da1.jpg
3c02250d1c1a982ffbc303f6a3b060db.jpg

Ahh the time has come to start thinking about interview attire... Personally all I have are men style suits (regardless of being female). Nothing flashy, only black and white. I could wear the pair of fitted black pants and find a nice purple blouse top. Would it be wise to get an entire new outfit for the interview of women style suit pants and top or could I pull off the more masculine look? I'm hopeless with fashion, any input would be fantastic.
It's hard to say without know what you look like, but I think you should wear whatever you're most comfortable in! Black and white are perfectly fine, you just don't want to stand out in a bad way. If having something new and more feminine would make you worry less, then go for it, but it's up to you. :)

I'm going shopping for an interview outfit next weekend. Could someone tell me what they think of this kind of outfit?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 185
I'm going shopping for an interview outfit next weekend. Could someone tell me what they think of this kind of outfit?

I wore something somewhat similar to this, I did a black professional dress and a grey blazer similar to this. It worked just fine. Go for it.

PSA: If you are interviewing and need an outfit, now is a GREAT time to buy something spiffy because of the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals! I went to Ann Taylor yesterday and got over $200 off of a bill that was originally about $400.

And I know it's been said on this thread before, but Ann Taylor's petites are amazing for short ladies of almost any body type. In particular, their sheath dresses are super comfortable, and the fit is really consistent. Those dresses have gotten me through years of client pitches and interviews -- highly recommend!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using SDN mobile

Last edited:
PSA: If you are interviewing and need an outfit, now is a GREAT time to buy something spiffy because of the Black Friday/Cyber Monday deals! I went to Ann Taylor yesterday and got over $200 off of a bill that was originally about $400.

And I know it's been said on this thread before, but Ann Taylor's petites are amazing for short ladies of almost any body type. In particular, their sheath dresses are super comfortable, and the fit is really consistent. Those dresses have gotten me through 10 years of client pitches and job interviews -- highly recommend!

I just realized I sound like an Ann Taylor ad bot...I promise I'm a real pre-vet candidate! :)

And I know it's been said on this thread before, but Ann Taylor's petites are amazing for short ladies of almost any body type. In particular, their sheath dresses are super comfortable, and the fit is really consistent. Those dresses have gotten me through 10 years of client pitches and job interviews -- highly recommend!

dude thanks, good call, i should go out today and do that. Interviewing at a different stage but still!

Anyone aware of Auburn's position on the pantsuit versus skirt suit debate (if they even have one)?

Just look professional and be comfortable in what you're wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

That's been my impression. I got nervous when I saw the post several pages back about A&M possibly finding skirt suits unprofessional

Would it be ok to wear a jacket like this: Harris Tweed Jacket Authentic woven in Scotland : StudioSuits: Made To Measure Custom Suits, Customize Suits, Jackets and Trousers with black slacks and a nice shirt? I don't really want to wear a skirt because I don't shave and don't want to be judged for that. Does anyone else have opinions about colored hair?
Jacket looks fine to me at least. I seriously doubt your interviewers are going to be looking at your legs closely enough to notice you don't shave, though.

Personally, I wouldn't interview with colored hair. I know appearance shouldn't interfere with one's judgement of you, but you could end up being interviewed by the most conservative person in the college. I just think of it as not giving anyone a reason to discount me based on their first impression of me. However, if your color is just a few highlights or not extremely bright, you could probably get away with putting it up/being less up front about the unnatural color. Use your judgement.

You could also wear tights if you want to wear a skirt but are worried about it!

I see a lot of students with colored hair on clinics, but I'm not sure whether it'll give you any trouble in an interview. If your entire head is bright green and looks really distracting, I'd say you should consider changing it to a more subdued color. If it's just the tips and you can style you hair neatly and professionally, then I imagine it wouldn't be a problem for most interviewers.

I don't do heels because my ankles suck big time. I had flats but my feet grew from the last time I wore them... I love my Justin boots though and I have a brand new pair I've been thinking of keeping new until interviews but wanted opinions. My plan of dress is black slacks, blue or green dress shirt with a black suit jacket. My boots are the dark brown leather round toe. Just don't want to seem too casual as boots are part of my normal attire, but I think as long as they are new so they are not scuffed, etc. They would be fine. Thoughts?

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using SDN mobile

I don't do heels because my ankles suck big time. I had flats but my feet grew from the last time I wore them... I love my Justin boots though and I have a brand new pair I've been thinking of keeping new until interviews but wanted opinions. My plan of dress is black slacks, blue or green dress shirt with a black suit jacket. My boots are the dark brown leather round toe. Just don't want to seem too casual as boots are part of my normal attire, but I think as long as they are new so they are not scuffed, etc. They would be fine. Thoughts?

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using SDN mobile
I've thought about this also, except with Dr. Marten's. I am leaning towards the side of not wearing boots because I don't think they would be considered dressy enough. But like you, I'm not going to wear heels so most likely I will have to buy shoes.

I'd avoid Justins and Doc Martens. You definitely do NOT need to wear heels, and honestly, a good solid pair of comfortable but dressy flats is a good investment. When you get into vet school, you'll probably need something similar for clinics or for conferences etc.

I'd avoid Justins and Doc Martens. You definitely do NOT need to wear heels, and honestly, a good solid pair of comfortable but dressy flats is a good investment. When you get into vet school, you'll probably need something similar for clinics or for conferences etc.
I figured, although I wish to wear them, I won't lol. Would something like danskos be ok?

Also, I'm assuming we've progressed to the stage of small nose studs being acceptable? I have 7 ear piercings, should I just stick with keeping earring in the first lobe piercing?

@pinkpuppy9 I'm light skinned with lots of dark hair. It's obvious from several feet away lol
@PrincessButterCup Would leggings instead of tights be ok?
Straight up dress pants instead of a skirt is also 10000% acceptable and you'll see a lot of girls wearing them too. A skirt is definitely not required.

I think nose studs are okay at this point. Bright hair is still a risk. Tiny bits pulled back neatly could be okay - large chunks that are impossible to hide or minimize less so. Decide how you want to present yourself.

@pinkpuppy9 I'm light skinned with lots of dark hair. It's obvious from several feet away lol
Yeah, so like I said, you can probably style your hair to make it less 'in your face.' I have a friend with hot pink tips and she just puts her hair in a bun and makes sure the ends are secured inside the bun. Maybe you could do something similar since it sounds like you don't have a full head of color.

I would just dye it back to a natural color, though. Not worth the risk and you can always dye it back if having color is that important to you.

Would it be ok to wear a jacket like this: Harris Tweed Jacket Authentic woven in Scotland : StudioSuits: Made To Measure Custom Suits, Customize Suits, Jackets and Trousers with black slacks and a nice shirt? I don't really want to wear a skirt because I don't shave and don't want to be judged for that. Does anyone else have opinions about colored hair?
To completely contrast what PP said, I would stick with a black suit if you can manage. When I interviewed at LMU, there was a girl with a hot pink jacket that really... stuck out like a sore thumb. That jacket you linked to is a lot more professional, so it probably would be okay, but almost everyone wears black on black on black and I would personally be nervous wearing anything but a black or dark navy suit. Up to you though! I think the jacket is really cute, regardless. :p

I also wore flats and suit pants with my suit jacket, and I got accepted to four schools, so if you'd rather wear pants than a skirt, there's nothing wrong with that at all!

And I can't speak for all schools, but I know I've read of a couple places that require unnatural hair colors to be dyed before starting school, or at the very least before starting clinicals. I believe Iowa is one of them, but I can't recall completely. I know of one fourth year here at Illinois that has bright red hair, but that seems to be a more "acceptable" color than say, having blue hair. If you're worried, I'd check and see if the school you're interviewing at has a dress code.

Yeah, so like I said, you can probably style your hair to make it less 'in your face.' I have a friend with hot pink tips and she just puts her hair in a bun and makes sure the ends are secured inside the bun. Maybe you could do something similar since it sounds like you don't have a full head of color.

I would just dye it back to a natural color, though. Not worth the risk and you can always dye it back if having color is that important to you.
I was talking about my leg hair with that quote haha. My hair is short and it's not all in your face brightly colored, but it wouldn't be possible to hide the color without dyeing over it. I can do that if need be. If it matters at all, 2 of the 3 schools I will potentially be interviewing at are on the west coast.

I think if everyone is wearing black though, that would get a bit old and repetitive. I don't think grey would stand out necessarily in a bad way like pink would. I got a jacket super similar at Goodwill years ago and it fits my weird proportions basically perfectly. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for a jacket, lol. Sort of like not knowing where to look for pants, but I figure that may be easier lol.

I was talking about my leg hair with that quote haha. My hair is short and it's not all in your face brightly colored, but it wouldn't be possible to hide the color without dyeing over it. I can do that if need be. If it matters at all, 2 of the 3 schools I will potentially be interviewing at are on the west coast.

I think if everyone is wearing black though, that would get a bit old and repetitive. I don't think grey would stand out necessarily in a bad way like pink would. I got a jacket super similar at Goodwill years ago and it fits my weird proportions basically perfectly. I wouldn't even know where to begin looking for a jacket, lol. Sort of like not knowing where to look for pants, but I figure that may be easier lol.

Is one of them WSU? FWIW, I interviewed twice and never saw a single person wearing a full suit. I wore dress pants (from Goodwill!), a nice blouse, and a black sweater (also from Goodwill :p) last year, and in my review I was told my interview went really well, so my choice of clothing was definitely not the reason I was waitlisted instead of accepted. ;) As long as you look clean and professional you should be fine.

If you can dye your hair back for interview season, that's probably the best move, just the eliminate all those what if questions. You can make it colorful again later. Your piercings should be okay as long as you wear jewelery that is appropriate and won't be distracting.

To completely contrast what PP said, I would stick with a black suit if you can manage. When I interviewed at LMU, there was a girl with a hot pink jacket that really... stuck out like a sore thumb. That jacket you linked to is a lot more professional, so it probably would be okay, but almost everyone wears black on black on black and I would personally be nervous wearing anything but a black or dark navy suit. Up to you though! I think the jacket is really cute, regardless. :p
I wore a nice brightly patterned blue sweater, black slacks, and ridiculously high blue heels that made the interviewer laugh when I tripped over my own feet. Changed into flats for the tour. I got in, despite my clumsiness.

Black suits are fine, but it makes the world so boring if everyone wears them. There's nothing wrong with color or patterns as long as you still look professional.

I figured, although I wish to wear them, I won't lol. Would something like danskos be ok?

Also, I'm assuming we've progressed to the stage of small nose studs being acceptable? I have 7 ear piercings, should I just stick with keeping earring in the first lobe piercing?
Danskos should be fine and lots of people swear by them for clinics so a good thing to have in your closet.

The piercings should be fine as long as you stick to small discrete studs. If you're really nervous, leave them out, but I can't really see most people having an issue with multiple ear piercings as long as the jewelry is simple.

Is one of them WSU? FWIW, I interviewed twice and never saw a single person wearing a full suit. I wore dress pants (from Goodwill!), a nice blouse, and a black sweater (also from Goodwill :p) last year, and in my review I was told my interview went really well, so my choice of clothing was definitely not the reason I was waitlisted instead of accepted. ;) As long as you look clean and professional you should be fine.

If you can dye your hair back for interview season, that's probably the best move, just the eliminate all those what if questions. You can make it colorful again later. Your piercings should be okay as long as you wear jewelery that is appropriate and won't be distracting.
Yep, OSU and WSU.
My nose stud is fairly small and gold. I think it's tasteful.
I think as long as I am comfortable in my clothes and they are presentable, that will be ok. I wouldn't want to lose my style and try to blend in, because that doesn't feel like me necessarily. I probably will just dye my hair back, or maybe go blonde ;)

I wore a nice brightly patterned blue sweater, black slacks, and ridiculously high blue heels that made the interviewer laugh when I tripped over my own feet. Changed into flats for the tour. I got in, despite my clumsiness.

Black suits are fine, but it makes the world so boring if everyone wears them. There's nothing wrong with color or patterns as long as you still look professional.
Well that's good to hear :) Disregard what I said, then! (To anyone wondering). I personally much prefer alternate-colored suits anyway, but I just thought I would mention the color thing. I applied to solely midwestern schools (except OK State, which I did not interview at), so maybe geography has something to do with how people dressed for the interviews.

Well here seems like the place to ask, I'm totally clueless as to where to look for a new interview outfit. I went with separates before but I think I'd like something more polished this go around.
Long story short: Any other ladies on here with a body type similar to that of a teenage boy on top (broad shoulders hardly any girls) and muscular gymnast thighs? Sigh shopping for "real" clothes is the worst...

Well here seems like the place to ask, I'm totally clueless as to where to look for a new interview outfit. I went with separates before but I think I'd like something more polished this go around.
Long story short: Any other ladies on here with a body type similar to that of a teenage boy on top (broad shoulders hardly any girls) and muscular gymnast thighs? Sigh shopping for "real" clothes is the worst...
I went to Macy's and got separate suit pieces (I guess that's what they'd be called?) I had dress pants and a matching blazer and then I got the blazer tailored by Macy's to fit me better. I definitely have muscular equestrian thighs and my shoulders are decently broad? Idek?
But I tried on two different jacket sizes of the one I was going to get (long arm problems) and when the tailor came upstairs, she picked the one she liked on my shoulders best (which LOL was the opposite one my mom, her fave "Macy's by appointment" (is it still even called that???) shopper, and I were gonna pick) and then she pinned it to fit the rest of me a bit better.

I went to Macy's and got separate suit pieces (I guess that's what they'd be called?) I had dress pants and a matching blazer and then I got the blazer tailored by Macy's to fit me better. I definitely have muscular equestrian thighs and my shoulders are decently broad? Idek?
But I tried on two different jacket sizes of the one I was going to get (long arm problems) and when the tailor came upstairs, she picked the one she liked on my shoulders best (which LOL was the opposite one my mom, her fave "Macy's by appointment" (is it still even called that???) shopper, and I were gonna pick) and then she pinned it to fit the rest of me a bit better.

Easiest thing is definitely to buy separates (ie you can buy a different size top than bottoms) and then get them tailored.
Thanks! This is what I was afraid of, having to have my stuff tailored to truly fit well but if it has to be done at least I'll look nice haha

I think my body type is similar to yours (but muscular/now pretty jiggly former dancer thighs in my case), and I had good luck with suit separates at Express! The jacket doesn't fit perfectly, but I didn't have to get it tailored.

Honestly tailoring isn't all that expensive and it's basically impossible to find something that truly fits anybody off the rack any way, regardless of body type...

For me, I'm too tall for petite sizes to look good and too short for regular length pants to not drag on the floor. I think it usually costs about $10 to get pants tailored to the right length, and they look much more professional that way

Sent from my SM-G920T using SDN mobile