Interview at Western Carolina Univesity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoppinalong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else interviewing/attending open house at WCU on December 8th? Any clue how many people are going to be there and/or how much weight this interview carries since it's their first one (I believe)? I'm pretty excited and looking forward to it for sure!

Members don't see this ad.

I got an invite - but it was worded unclearly IMO so I emailed back with some questions.
They ended up telling me the interview wasn't required/mandatory?
So idk if I'm going bc it's a big travel expense for me & I've already visited once before.

I got the same email, but I have finals the next week and also live out of state, so it will be difficult to fly out there. Since they email back and said it was optional, do you know what that mean exactly? Was that email considered an acceptance then, or....?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just called and confirmed my spot today. I'm guessing the morning session filled up because I am in the afternoon session! That's weird that they said the interview was just optional... I've never been to Cullowhee and am excited to see the campus and learn more about the program (it's not my first choice but it's worth interviewing for!) At the end of the email, it said that admissions decisions will be made near the end of January!

Did those of you who have posted above receive the email in the last few days ? I'm hoping they're still sending invites.

I called today, and the email was an invite for an interview, and it was definitely NOT optional....the women said that they have a large applicant pool and are offering the Dec and Jan date to decide.

@phystherapy24
Did you talk to Linda?
I talked to her & she didn't know the answer.
So then I talked to Dr. Todd Watson who said it was optional

Edit;
Just called & talked to Dr.Watson.
"Are we eligible for a spot even if we do not come to the Dec/Jan Interview?"
"yes."

Last edited:
My husband received this same invitation. It would be pretty expensive to fly him out there just for an open house, so like everyone else we started wondering how much weight this "group interview" carries. I ended up calling them, but I didn't ask if it was mandatory. What I asked instead was if any other interviews were going to happen after these open houses. It was important to know so I knew when to book a flight for, you know? This is my husband's second round of grad school. Before, every place that seriously considered us asked us for an interview. I figured DPT school would be the same. The lady I talked to, Linda, told me no, there would be no other interviews. There are just the group interviews, and then admission decisions will be made. The conclusion I draw from that is since this is the ONLY interviewing process they have, it should be considered mandatory, even if officially it's not. I doubt you'll be accepted if you don't come for the only interviews being held. They use a point system to make admission decisions, and I'll bet this will carry some weight in points. I hope this helps everyone. We look forward to seeing some of you at the January 12 open house!

Yea I think it definitely takes up some points for your overall app score.
But depending on all your other stats/where WCU is on your personal list - you might have more leeway - that's all I'm saying.
Also - they also told me if you were really far away they would consider a skype interview instead of the in person one.

I forgot to mention one thing Dr. Watson told me in an email. Quoting from him:

"Attendance at the interview is not mandatory per se, however it is strongly encouraged for those seeking a seat in out program."

You can take what you will from that. A Skype interview would be good for us. I'll have to ask him about that. Thanks for telling us.

Today I was informed that I will also be attending the January 12th interview rather than the December 8 one. I am definitely considering it mandatory for those who really want to get into this school.

Yeah I agree. The email I got said that they had received "an unusually large number of very well qualified applicants". I take that as, it's more competitive this year than in the past, and is probably the reason why they introduced the interview day this year for the first time.

Out of pure curiosity, would any of you mind sharing your stats? I would love to know where I stand among the competition at WCU =)

Overall GPA: 3.89
Prereq: 3.72
GRE: V: 159 Q: 149 W: 4.5

Members don't see this ad :)
GPA: 3.88
Prereq GPA: 3.92 ish
GRE: V 157, Q 152, W 4.5

Also have around 200 hours observation time. I think we'll end up doing the Skype interview to be honest, though that may still not look as good as in person one. It's just too much money to go for our last choice =(.

Hey all, I currently attend WCU as an undergrad and have applied here as well for PT. The program is phasing into a interview process but for now I understand it to be optional. here is a link to their scoring system- http://www.wcu.edu/6008.asp#What_We_Expect_from_Applicants
Scroll to the bottom and click on "application review process" for the breakdown of the points awarded. Also, I would suggest making a trip if possible, as they have just completed the new Health Science building, a $40million facilitiy, and it is pretty nice-worth looking into.

I forgot to mention one thing Dr. Watson told me in an email. Quoting from him:

"Attendance at the interview is not mandatory per se, however it is strongly encouraged for those seeking a seat in out program."

You can take what you will from that. A Skype interview would be good for us. I'll have to ask him about that. Thanks for telling us.

Did anyone end up skyping for the interview?
Mines tm - wanted to see how it went for anyone else.

For those who attended on December 8, what was the interview like? What did you think of the open house?

I skyped for the interview. I think it went well, although I'm hoping the fact it was short isn't a bad sign. It was about 15 minutes. There were 4 people. Each had a main question for me. I think if I said what the questions were I could get myself into serious trouble it ever got around, so I'm going to keep mum on that.

For those who attended on December 8, what was the interview like? What did you think of the open house?

I was at the interview. I was really impressed with their new building and with the program. The current students seemed pleased with the program and everyone was very friendly and answered a ton of questions I had. The school is in the middle of nowhere, but I really liked the area; it's right by the mountains (actually maybe in the mountains) and there are a lot of outdoors activities to do like hiking, tubing, etc. The staff and students were very laid back and the interviews were also relaxed. They asked basic questions like, why PT? Why WCU? How do you manage stress? PM me if you want to know more. Hope this helped and good luck! :)

Today was WCU's last interview. It was pretty different than the other schools I have been to so far. Everything was in a group setting (Probably because they invited many applicants for an interview and they only have a handful of faculty).

On Monday, I am going to try to find out when we will have a decision. I'll try to remember to let this thread know if someone else hasn't already.

What did you find out monday? Hopefully they make decisions by next week before I send a $500 deposit for another school

I was told we would hear from them with final decisions by the end of the month and that we would hear by email.

I e-mailed Dr. Watson Monday and received no reply (yet). Maybe he doesn't have an answer, maybe he's busy, maybe he forgot. I don't know.

They've said all along that we will hear by the end of January. A fellow applicant told me we could hear by the 18th, though that seems unlikely to me.

I'll let you all know if Dr. Watson ever gets back to me.

I was offerred acceptance today via email. Did anyone else get into WCU?!

Congrats on getting in. I haven't received anything yet. Has anyone else heard anything?

I received the email letting me know I was on the alternate list. Anybody else receive that email?

I received the email letting me know I was on the alternate list. Anybody else receive that email?

I did. There's another thread started on this topic. Here's what I posted in that thread:

"I got an "alternate" e-mail. I called and talked to Dr. Watson. He said I'm at the top of the alternate list and I could "expect" to get admitted.

So I think I will get in. Just not today. Congrats to those that don't have to wait. If you are declining their admission, please do it as soon as possible... for me. :) "

I received the acceptance email! And I will for sure be attending there! I'm overjoyed! Good luck alternates!

I did. There's another thread started on this topic. Here's what I posted in that thread:

"I got an "alternate" e-mail. I called and talked to Dr. Watson. He said I'm at the top of the alternate list and I could "expect" to get admitted.

So I think I will get in. Just not today. Congrats to those that don't have to wait. If you are declining their admission, please do it as soon as possible... for me. :) "

Fortunately I got accepted and I'll be going! I hope to see you there as well! Definitely don't lose hope. This was my third cycle applying to PT schools, and this time I got in! I guess I'm saying that persistence definitely pays off! Best of luck to you all!

I got accepted via email today as well, but now I'm in the "One bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." dilemma. I only applied to three schools. WCU is last choice, but I won't even interview with the one of the others until the 2nd of February. I won't hear an admission decision from either of the other schools until the end of February or even early March. If I decline WCU but then don't get into either of the other schools, I'll be out in the cold and face-palming it until the end of time, but if I accept and then drop after being accepted by one of the other two, the $500 deposit will be down the drain. Still, at least I have the privilege of making this choice, and I have a week or so to weigh the pros and cons. Congratulations to all of you who were accepted and to the alternates as well!

PS: I guess we know now that a Skype interview can get you in. That's what I did.

PS: I guess we know now that a Skype interview can get you in. That's what I did.

haha yea thats what i did too.
and i did mine very last minute because i was pretty set on the fact that the interview wasn't actually mandatory.

even if it is your third choice, suck it up and pay the $500. It's not worth not going at all. $500 is a lot to me too, but in the grand scheme of your future it's a drop in the bucket.

Has anyone heard anything about when we'll know whether we qualified for graduate assistantships?

Is an Alternate the same as waitlist?

Well, turned out I didn't get into one of my other schools, and I was wait-listed for the 2nd one (and just about no one turns that one down). I guess I'll see all of you this fall!

Can anyone who interviewed in person at WCU last year give some insight into what the group interview was like? In the invitation I received it says there will be three 20 minute group interview sessions. Is that the same as last year? What were the questions like and how did it work in a group setting?