Interview at Midwestern Glendale Campus

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BAG101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I recently set up an interview at the Midwestern University Glendale campus for August 18th. For those who have interview/attend Midwestern, can you tell me about the interview experience you had? What types of questions did they ask? Was it a 1 on 1 interview or a pannel format? How would you rate the experience you had at Midwestern? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats on your interview, I will be starting at Midwestern in a few weeks. My interview last fall was 2 professors and I. They make you feel comfortable and let you know they are there to talk to you and find out who you are. They have access to your essay and your application but I don't think they see your grades.
The interview is first thing in the morning so be sure you wake up early and get a healthy breakfast. (There is a Starbucks down the street FYI.)
They will ask questions such as why optometry, why Midwestern, how do you feel you fit in and what you will bring to your class. They ask about the differences between Optometrists, ophthalmologists and opticians and how each fit into the care of the patient.
Since they have access to your application and essay, be prepared to talk about them. They asked me about my experiences with optometry and some specific things from my essay.
They also let you explain anything that might be negative in your application such as low grades or anything but it's optional.
Last they give you a chance to ask questions so be sure to have some!
The rest of the day is going to be a tour of the campus and the clinic and presentations of the optometry program.
I really liked the small campus feel and how everyone was very friendly. The optometry class is pretty small so everyone knows everyone. I was impressed by the labs we have access to use and the clinic was awesome.
Good luck! If you have any other questions let me know!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on your interview, I will be starting at Midwestern in a few weeks. My interview last fall was 2 professors and I. They make you feel comfortable and let you know they are there to talk to you and find out who you are. They have access to your essay and your application but I don't think they see your grades.
The interview is first thing in the morning so be sure you wake up early and get a healthy breakfast. (There is a Starbucks down the street FYI.)
They will ask questions such as why optometry, why Midwestern, how do you feel you fit in and what you will bring to your class. They ask about the differences between Optometrists, ophthalmologists and opticians and how each fit into the care of the patient.
Since they have access to your application and essay, be prepared to talk about them. They asked me about my experiences with optometry and some specific things from my essay.
They also let you explain anything that might be negative in your application such as low grades or anything but it's optional.
The rest of the day is going to be a tour of the campus and the clinic and presentations of the optometry program.
I really liked the small campus feel and how everyone was very friendly. The optometry class is pretty small so everyone knows everyone. I was impressed by the labs we have access to use and the clinic was awesome.

How long did your interview last? Also what kinds of questions would be appropriate to ask them? Thanks for sharing your post with me!

Members don't see this ad :)
It was about 35-40 minutes. I asked them about why they chose to teach there and what they like most about the school. Why they became optometrists and if they would have done something else. I asked what it took for a student to succeed.
Save your student oriented questions for the student panel.

How were your interviews?

How were your interviews?
My interview went very well! I really enjoyed Midwestern's campus! All of the faculty that I met were so passionate about the profession and the school, which made me feel very welcomed there. All in all I thought it was a great optometry college and I am hoping to hear back from them in about 2 weeks with an acceptance offer!

Hey BAG101, I'm glad to hear the interview went well. I have one at Midwestern Glendale campus as well on Sept. 25th. Do you mind if you give some tips on interview? What kind of questions did they ask? This is my first school interview I ever had so I'm very nervous.

Hello! I was just offered an interview yesterday for Midwestern Glendale campus too :) will be on September 29th. Thanks for the advice so far and good luck to everyone applying/interviewing! :)

Hey BAG101, I'm glad to hear the interview went well. I have one at Midwestern Glendale campus as well on Sept. 25th. Do you mind if you give some tips on interview? What kind of questions did they ask? This is my first school interview I ever had so I'm very nervous.

I interviewed at Midwestern Glendale Aug. 18 as well and it was really quite relaxed. It was the usual "why this school?", "how do you think you could handle the stress/workload?", etc. When I interviewed it was a panel of three instructors but pretty casual. They really tried to make it feel like just a conversation!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hi! Congrats! I was wondering what your stats are??

I interviewed at Midwestern Glendale Aug. 18 as well and it was really quite relaxed. It was the usual "why this school?", "how do you think you could handle the stress/workload?", etc. When I interviewed it was a panel of three instructors but pretty casual. They really tried to make it feel like just a conversation!

Congratulations!! Do you mind if I ask about your stats? I just applied to Midwestern as well!

I had a 3.60 GPA and an OAT of AA 360 and TS 380 and was offered a seat in the class of 2022
Thanks for replying! How did you study for the OAT??? I'm taking it next month and I'm really nervous for it!

I just got my acceptance yesterday, I got a 300AA/TS and a 3.18 GPA :D

Reactions: 1 users