Interview Apparel. Cropped Pants?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AllDayIStudy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I wear cropped pants to my interviews? They stop right above my ankles. I'm getting nervous about everything!

Members don't see this ad.

Should I wear cropped pants to my interviews? They stop right above my ankles. I'm getting nervous about everything!

Assuming the standards are the same as with standard MD/DO medical school interviews (and I cannot imagine why on earth not), I would say absolutely no.

I gotta say that I'm amazed people still ask these types of questions. This is an interview for professional school.

Men: Well tailored suit (it can be slacks, shirt and tie and a nice blazer, but suit preferred), nice shirt and tie, nice dress shoes (not DCS/Vans of matching colors with your suit), well groomed hair and facial hair (or lack thereof...not in between).

Women: Pant suit or skirt suit (of appropriate length, no mini skirts pls), nylons (if in a skirt) and neutral blouse (no crazy colors or patterns), reasonable shoes (no crazy stiletto heels or odd styles/patterns), purse (?).

An interview like this is not necessarily the time to assert your individuality or spite your parents with the goth look.

Yes, you need to somewhat look like every other applicant. Wow them with your personality and knowledge, not with the pink and purple polka dotted shirt and Captain America tie.

Leave the cell phone at home/in the car/at the hotel.

When you are the interviewer, you'd be surprised how when someone dresses oddly, you don't even hear what the applicant says. All you think is, "I can't believe this person actually showed up dressed like that". Also, this may seem shallow, but if you show up in a $2000 suit/outfit, it can be a bit off putting. Be reasonable.

Is that the first impression you want to give?

Btw this also transfers over to when it's time to visit/interview with residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
One more point, please either forget about the perfume/cologne or go VERY light. You never know if the fragrance is going to be offensive to someone or actually cause some allergic reaction, etc. It's an interview, not a date.

One more point, please either forget about the perfume/cologne or go VERY light. You never know if the fragrance is going to be offensive to someone or actually cause some allergic reaction, etc. It's an interview, not a date.
:thumbup::thumbup:

cropped pants, no.
cropped tank top, yes

is a suit jacket/blazer necessary for girls? I was thinking of pairing my suit skirt with a nice cardigan instead. is this appropriate?

is a suit jacket/blazer necessary for girls? I was thinking of pairing my suit skirt with a nice cardigan instead. is this appropriate?

I would personally stick with a suit jacket. It's not that you wouldn't look nice, but I just feel it's better to stick with tradition when interviewing. I am almost thinking it's not *appropriate*. I am a bit old fashioned though, in that regard..so just my .02. Of course, I remember when folks wore suits to fly on an airplane.

And, to the OP, cropped pants are a big, fat NO.

I have never NOT seen a girl wearing a lady suit. You should have one. Wear it.

Can I dress like a pirate for my interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I dress like a pirate for my interview?

ONLY............... and I mean ONLY if you have a live parrot on your shoulder:D

I would think that it would be a great way to break the ice!

ONLY............... and I mean ONLY if you have a live parrot on your shoulder:D

I would think that it would be a great way to break the ice!

:thumbup:

I would consider it if my GPA was 4.0 with a 38 MCAT.

lol

This would be an interesting experiment to try to pull off.

I mean... if someone had the cahones to come to an interview dressed like a pirate with those stats they should be accepted on the spot without an interview.

I remember seeing a guy dressed in what looked to be one of those sweater vests your grandmother gets you for Christmas when you're a kid, and you never wear it because you look like a dork.

I don't remember anyone else that day, but I remember him. Come to think of it, I haven't seen him around since I started here...

I wore overalls, a straw hat, and cowgirl boots to Temple and Western.... I got in at both places so go for it. :)