Interview advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jmma277

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was recently just given an interview invite to Marshall University DPT and was wandering if anyone ever got an interview to Marshall and what the interview is like? If no can someone give me some advice on how to do well on the interview? This is my first interview and I am really wanting to impress them so any advice helps! Thank you!:)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the interview!
I didn't apply there, but I was able to make it through my interview and get accepted, so maybe I can help. I don't know if the school gave you the names of the people that are interviewing you, but if they did I would look up info about the people. Kinda stalk them and get to know what they teach, what their field of study is, if they are involved in any school organizations or societies, or research articles that they have published. Being able to mention something about them shows that you are really interested and invested in this school/interview, and that you did your homework. (I did that in my interview, and I remember the professor being taken aback since she didn't expect that but was happy that I brought it up.) That also applies to the school, their values, and their mission statement. One of the schools that I interviewed with asked what I thought about their core values and how it is applicable to my future career.
Another tip is to have questions ready. Most interviews will conclude with giving you the opportunity to ask questions, and it would kinda be awkward if you don't have any. Having questions about the program (whether it's how the clinical rotations are set up or the curriculum) shows that you are interested. You can also ask questions that apply to the individuals that are interviewing you. I got interviewed with a current student and a professor with the school that I accepted admittance to, and I asked each of them a question that applied specifically to each of them. By doing this, it showed that I valued their advice and that I was curious how the school is from their perspectives.
My last tip would be to memorize your answers. Make sure that you have practiced what you will say, and that you have it down packed. Being able to talk smoothly and coherently is important since an important trait in PT is communication. Predicting the questions that they will ask is very helpful, and looking at YouTube videos might help you get a good idea of what is typically asked and how to phrase things. Schools do expect you to know your path to PT and why you chose PT. Other questions are kinda like a job interview in which they might ask a tough situation that you had to deal with or what your best trait is, etc.
I hope that helped and good luck!