"Interventional Psychiatry?"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

texanpsychdoc

Clinical Psychologist & Assistant Professor
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where to post this, but I wanted to ask my fellow psychiatrists....what the heck is "interventional psychiatry?" I was browsing some psychiatric private practice websites lately and came across some that used this label to describe themselves. I am unfamiliar with it and unsure how it differs (if at all) from good ol' fashion psychiatry.

Members don't see this ad.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I wanted to ask my fellow psychiatrists....what the heck is "interventional psychiatry?" I was browsing some psychiatric private practice websites lately and came across some that used this label to describe themselves. I am unfamiliar with it and unsure how it differs (if at all) from good ol' fashion psychiatry.
TMS, ECT, stellate ganglion blocks, ketamine, etc.

Reactions: 4 users
It's a stupid term.
Besides IV ketamine, and stellage blocks, and implantable bupe, there are no interventions that Psychiatrists do.

ECT, TMS, are the bulk and that is neurostimulation - which is a more apt lable.

Consider me camp Neurostimulation.

I condensed my rant on the loathsome term "interventional psychiatry"

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
It is indeed a silly term, likely born from people wanting to sound as cool as their Interventional Cardiology peers.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
It's a stupid term.
Besides IV ketamine, and stellage blocks, and implantable bupe, there are no interventions that Psychiatrists do.

ECT, TMS, are the bulk and that is neurostimulation - which is a more apt lable.

Consider me camp Neurostimulation.

I condensed my rant on the loathsome term "interventional psychiatry"
I agree. It's silly to claim to be an interventional psychiatrist. Wouldn't that term better fit short-term psychotherapy?

I agree. It's silly to claim to be an interventional psychiatrist. Wouldn't that term better fit short-term psychotherapy?

The 300 pound ED tech who holds down a psychotic patient and the RN who delivers the Haldol shot... they are the true interventional psychiatrists.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 13 users

I imagine this is coming from the same crowd responsible for patients who come in smelling of various Cluster B and proclaiming with the utmost seriousness, as if it were akin to the Pope being their personal Confessor, "I see a psychopharmacologist, not a psychiatrist".

• Sad
make lobotomy great again

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
The 300 pound ED tech who holds down a psychotic patient and the RN who delivers the Haldol shot... they are the true interventional psychiatrists.

Was reminded of my acute psych ward days in the public service - ED would bomb out patients with midaz and droperidol. Then the patient wake up aggrevated on the psych unit and you've got onsite security, 4 point restraints, seclusion, combination zyprexa and zuclopenthixol IMs... good times.

It's everything that isn't pills and talking. And I concur, it's not a good term. Interventional radiology works as a term because the vast majority of what they do typically is observational in nature. Psychiatry...is not.

What a ridiculous label. It's like saying "I am an interventional family medicine doc. I do IUDs, subdermal contraceptive, circumcisions, and nasty toe nail removals".

The specialties of IR and interventional cardiology do highly technical procedures that more or less replace surgical procedures in certain situations. Recanalizing coronaries vs CABG, percutaneous drains vs laparotomy washout, etc. Without additional training a diagnostic radiology or general cardiologist would not be able to do these sort of procedures.

• Haha
One of the older docs who taught ECT during my residency used to love regaling us with tales of the before-time, when they'd go for ECT day at the state hospital and all of the patients were lined up on their gurneys in a row, just so. "No anesthesia, just a fat nurse!" And they'd go from stretcher to stretcher, almost without pause, as the "fat nurse" laid across the patient, while he applied the shock.

I like to think of that as the original interventional psychiatry.

• Wow
  • Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Billable procedures Psychiatry

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I just interviewed a psych np that stated that she did interventional psychiatry. I really don’t think i want to work with her as mostly what she meant was doing a lot of fringy stuff. Even some of the things that do show some efficacy in certain situations are being over-promoted by these types of people. I’m going to stick with talking to people about their problems and using cognitive behavioral principles to guide them through the process. It seems like that works for a lot of them and if it’s more severe then a stable medication regimen to augment.

Reactions: 1 users
Ok...so my next question is, are psychiatrists trained to do TMS, ECT, stellate ganglion blocks, ketamine, etc. as a course of standard training in residency? Are these procedures "standard" for a majority of psychiatrists in professional practice?

Ok...so my next question is, are psychiatrists trained to do TMS, ECT, stellate ganglion blocks, ketamine, etc. as a course of standard training in residency? Are these procedures "standard" for a majority of psychiatrists in professional practice?

It's probably hugely variable depending on residency program, if the program itself has those services available for patients and if residents rotate through those services. ECT and TMS are probably the most common for residents to get some kind of exposure to or formal rotation/elective just based on what I've seen across a few academic programs.

No not standard, I’ll be graduating without knowing how to do those things but able to easily learn if needed, it’s a minority that do these things

Not super common, depends on the institution. "Procedures" like TMS and ECT are super easy to learn though, don't need any skill to perform.

I see. So...I can see maybe why some folks are electing to slap on the additional "interventional" name. It seems like it may be largely unnecessary, but I could be wrong. Do these procedures rise to the level of "specialization" such as forensic psychiatry, child/adolescent psychiatry, etc.?

I see. So...I can see maybe why some folks are electing to slap on the additional "interventional" name. It seems like it may be largely unnecessary, but I could be wrong. Do these procedures rise to the level of "specialization" such as forensic psychiatry, child/adolescent psychiatry, etc.?
There are maybe a handful of places that do unofficial fellowships for ECT/"interventional" psych and the like, but it's unnecessary IMO and there's no corresponding board certification the way there is for child or forensic psych.

No

Well...then yeah, it seems like this is largely folks trying to pad their background and offerings for $$$. Hey...I'm a capitalist, I'm all for folks trying out innovative ways to making money. Sometimes I have to laugh at those methods.