internships/residencies in Quebec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oncovetemma

Reaction score
Hello!

I'm currently a DVM student at OVC but planning to move to Quebec after graduation. I was wondering if anyone out there has any information about internships/residencies in Quebec, specifically Montreal. There are very few listed on VIRMP, but I've seen some on hospital pages like Centre DMV and CV Laval/Rive-Sud. How does the application process for those work if it's not through VIRMP and how would an internship there compare to one at a school like OVC?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have any personal experience with internships in Montreal, but I presume you are fluent in French? You would likely have to apply directly to each institution and what they require may be different from what VIRMP requires. It's hard to say how internships outside of VIRMP compare, but if you are interested in pursuing a residency then I would recommend sticking with an internship found within VIRMP. You are more likely to match to a residency coming from a program that is found within VIRMP (and therefore more likely to be well known).

I don't have any personal experience with internships in Montreal, but I presume you are fluent in French? You would likely have to apply directly to each institution and what they require may be different from what VIRMP requires. It's hard to say how internships outside of VIRMP compare, but if you are interested in pursuing a residency then I would recommend sticking with an internship found within VIRMP. You are more likely to match to a residency coming from a program that is found within VIRMP (and therefore more likely to be well known).

Thank you for your reply! I am fluent in French, fortunately, and I know there's a language exam to get a Quebec license.

I guess I'm confused by the process and I haven't been able to find the information I'm looking for. My end goal is to do an oncology residency in Montreal, which is offered at one of these private practices. I feel like it's more flexible where I could do my internship(s), but is it bad to do internships and residencies at the same practice?

Thank you for your reply! I am fluent in French, fortunately, and I know there's a language exam to get a Quebec license.

I guess I'm confused by the process and I haven't been able to find the information I'm looking for. My end goal is to do an oncology residency in Montreal, which is offered at one of these private practices. I feel like it's more flexible where I could do my internship(s), but is it bad to do internships and residencies at the same practice?

It's not "bad" necessarily but some institutions won't keep their interns as residents because they want candidates to have a well-rounded experience and have worked at different practices. Some institutions have no problem keeping their interns on for a residency. Unfortunately it will be difficult to gather much experience on internships/residencies in private practice in Quebec because the majority of this forum is English-speaking.