Internships in these foreign countries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lookleft

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am going to do my health practicum this summer. I am doing an international health emphasis and would like to do an internship this summer in a foreign country. Do any of you know of opportunities either through your school or any other source in the following countries.

Australia/New Zeland
Singapore
Italy
Greece
Phillipene/Thiland
Any other places in Europe

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hola,

An international public health experience sounds awesome! I don't specifically know of programs for these specific countries, but I do know that some schools provide financial support for these programs. I went to Michigan and had two friends who applied for and received money for a summer internship: one worked in India and another in Thailand. They set these things up on their own though, having to write a proposal for the project they were going to work on since the financial support was competitive. I would suggest that you find an agency/cause in the countries you specified, and then look specifically for support.

H&T

Originally posted by lookleft
Hi, I am going to do my health practicum this summer. I am doing an international health emphasis and would like to do an internship this summer in a foreign country. Do any of you know of opportunities either through your school or any other source in the following countries.

Australia/New Zeland
Singapore
Italy
Greece
Phillipene/Thiland
Any other places in Europe

Thanks

Hi,
Can you tell me what schools have really good programs with emphasis on International Health as that is the one I am quite interested in. Are they quite competitive to get in, the mph programs? Thanks! :) You can PM me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Most schools of public health have some sort of International Health component (whether it be a separate department or Interdisciplinary concentration), but the program that stands out as being one of the best in International Health is Tulane, hands down (people may argue against this, but it's supposedly the best). I also believe that JHU has a great program, and I've heard pretty good things about Emory's as well. Some of my friends in Michigan's program thought it was okay, and they got a lot of support in doing international internships during the program.

PS: I think that you should contact the departments at schools of interest and ask if you could get in touch with one of their students. They'd be pretty honest in telling you about their experiences, and you'll get the best information from them about other programs since they most likely did a comparison in choosing a program that best suited them.

DrLady,

Don't let the names of schools intimidate you. Just rock your GRE and apply with your best foot forward. I applied to Michigan (which I think is a great school!) coming from a state university and I got in with so-so GRE scores and a lot of other stuff behind me (e.g., ECs, GPA, etc.). I think you'll be fine. Plus, many of these institutions are student friendly (esp. Emory, Mich, and Tulane). Have confidence that you're going to be an asset to these schools, and it's their loss if they choose not to see that.

Best of luck and let me know if you have more questions. :)
H&T