Internship

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

APACHE3

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
During the intern year, are you graded in each rotation? I've heard several people not getting the PGY contracts renewed becuase of failing rotation grades! How do the services grade residents rotating through there service? curious? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I guess I better get along with everybody!! Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
We have the "360 degree" system of evals here...you evalulate everyone (fellow residents, med students, attendings), but in turn EVERYONE gets to evaluate you. This includes med students, other residents and attendings, BUT ALSO nurses and patients!

I wouldn't say your "graded", but residency is a job and you are subject to performance evaluations. If the initial contract is one year, then you can be terminated if you aren't meeting performance criteria. We do the "360 eval" where i'm training as well in addition to monthly evals by faculty and upper level residents. I haven't though too much about this lately, just trying not to kill anyone. good luck.

My hospital has terminated contracts before (in other departments, I think we've terminated only one contract in my section in the past 5 years).

Residency is an educational process. Just like medical school, if you aren't doing well, they can fail you. This shouldn't be a surprise. You should have ample warning from verbal and written warnings, remediation requests, etc. I've seen people post on here about being blindsided at the end of the year with their contract not being renewed. I think these circumstances are rare.

Community hospitals are probably less likely to release you from your contract or not renew your contract when compared to academic/university hospitals.

Internship and residency are jobs, as a previous poster said. That said, many reasons to put someone on probation really don't have anything to do with "learning" per se, and a lot more to do with unprofessional behaviour (not showing up, showing up late, leaving early without signing out, calling in sick too frequently, being unwilling to suck one up for the team.)

On the medicine side, not answering call pages, being lazy and not seeing that patient with the BP 70/50 or the one with chest pain or not going to that code can also get you in trouble.

And remember, impairment/substance abuse are a fast way out of any employment.

From what I have seen, as a student and now intern at my base hospital:
1) It's hard to get a failing eval (you really need to work at it)
2) The hospital will work with you, if you just cooperate with recommendations on how to improve.
3) The hospital needs housestaff, but not if they kill patients. NO housestaff is that important.
4) If you are having problems, you need to go to the residency director or the DME. They can help you, give you a little breathing room, etc. But only if you act like an adult.