Internship Trouble!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NUgirl

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have matched to an advanced position but don't have a prelim spot. I can only be in Chicago due to family reasons. Does anyone know of any open prelim positions in the chicago area that are open or that will open due to someone dropping out unexpectedly? I would appreciate any help.

Also, what happens if I can't do an intern year? Do I automatically lose my advanced position?

Members don't see this ad.

I have matched to an advanced position but don't have a prelim spot. I can only be in Chicago due to family reasons. Does anyone know of any open prelim positions in the chicago area that are open or that will open due to someone dropping out unexpectedly? I would appreciate any help.

Also, what happens if I can't do an intern year? Do I automatically lose my advanced position?

Contact the PD at your advanced position, they will be your best advisor.

Tough situation. I have a friend in a similar one and she is contacting her PD (not in Chicago.) Keep us posted and I'll do the same once she gets back to me...

Members don't see this ad :)

You may have to be a little more specific on the family situation. If it's a matter of leaving a spouse of a year, it may unfortunately have to be done. I believe that if you do not complete an intern year, you cannot start your advanced year. I would talk to your PD ASAP. If it's something more serious like you're a single parent and absolutely need to be near extended family for childcare, that's a little different.

Your best shot if you're adamant about staying in Chicago may be looking for a prelim surgery position.

Thanks for the replies! I was only allowed to find a position in chicago because my husband is a pgy3 and has one year to go and we have a baby that I obviously am not willing to leave for a whole year. I simply can't go out of state.

Do you know if there is a law stating that you can't begin residency without an internship? My last resort is to possibly do my intern year after residency, if that's even allowed. This situation is so unexpected and it's freaking me out! :scared:

You cannot do an advanced residency without first having an intern year, it seems to be an absolute prerequisite. Your options are to find an intern year spot anywhere you can, or surrender the position you were offered.

I am sure it is a difficult situation. Has your husband considered transferring medical schools for his last year?

Best of luck...

NU girl,

Unfortunately, I think you got some very bad advice from your med school. If I remember correctly, you had a baby early 4th year and will graduate in August. Thus, you are looking to start your prelim year in mid August? Most places have two weeks of orientation, so you would have to start in September. I know some people who had late starts, but it seems like programs like to have people start either in June/July or December/January. If I were you, I think you should have considered taking a year off. I know this does not help you now. You are going to be fighting a hard battle getting everything to line up. Your prelim program has to agree and advanced year to agree to a late start. You cannot do an advanced year without doing a prelim year. I think your best bet is to get your advanced position PD involved. He has the most to gain by helping you and is likely to at least try. I wish you the best. I do think you have to make a choice. Either leave your husband for a year (you can take the baby and get a nanny or a family relative to live with you) or risk having to go through the match again. Then, you will have the problem of finding another residency taking you after you refused matriculation. This will be compounded by your inflexibility because your husband may be limited in areas wanting to hire him. I know none of these are great options, but I think you will have to make a sacrifice.

Contact your PD and see if they can work something out with the internal med or surgery department. You are going to have to be very persistant with this. What specialty did match into?

Good Luck!

If your PD is unable to assist you (and I agree that this person should be your first source for help/information), could your husband perhaps take a leave of absence from his residency program for a year? Obviously, this is not ideal and the program would need as much notice as possible so that they can try to find someone to fill his spot, but it might be your last option (other than giving up your advanced position and trying to find a spot in a different residency program a year from now). Good luck!

Thanks everyone for your advice! I have contacted my program and they said that they will help me find something. I am relieved that they took the news so well and were so nice about it. I hope that they will find me something! I also sincerely hope that they would be willing to put off my spot for the following year in case I can't secure an internship. But that's just me being VERY hopeful. Who knows what'll happen. Unfortunately, I don't have much more that I can do. It's outta my hands now since everything is full.

physicsnerd42: thanks for your suggestion, but I'm not going to ask my husband to take a leave of absence during his last year. It's more impt for him to finish his residency than for me to start. Since we have a baby at home, we could really use the salary he would get as an attending vs a resident. Like I said before, I truly hope that the worst thing that would happen is for my program to put off my spot for another year. Hopefully, that's not wishful thinking.

You cannot do an advanced residency without first having an intern year, it seems to be an absolute prerequisite.

I know a woman that, recently (2000-2001) did two years of her anesthesia residency, then her internship year, then finished up her CA-3 year the year after. This was in New York City.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Very much appreciated. :)

I actually have been offered a prelim spot at my school's hospital. And they allowed me to start in aug and end in aug. My rads program was ok with me starting later the following year as well. So it ended up working out!

Thanks everyone for your replies! Very much appreciated. :)

I actually have been offered a prelim spot at my school's hospital. And they allowed me to start in aug and end in aug. My rads program was ok with me starting later the following year as well. So it ended up working out!

So glad to hear that! Congrats!