Internship/Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daja

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a student in my final practical year in Germany. I have taken USMLE Step 1 (only a score of 193) and will take Step 2 with my German final exam.
I am married to an American, have a little baby, and we plan to move for my internship/residency to NY state.
I would like to specialize in Anesthesiology but I have NO idea what the practice is like over there.
I have only done one observership in obstetrics at U Miami hospital and only know the working times and remaining life quality I saw there are not what I want, even for 4 years.

So I start my inquiries here and would greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me something about:
-general time commitment/working hours
-is it possible to do half-day / half-time residencies
-can a residency be interrupted
-since I will probably end up in a smaller local hospital: quality of education there

Thank you very much,

Julia

Members don't see this ad.

Hello!

I am a student in my final practical year in Germany. I have taken USMLE Step 1 (only a score of 193) and will take Step 2 with my German final exam.
I am married to an American, have a little baby, and we plan to move for my internship/residency to NY state.
I would like to specialize in Anesthesiology but I have NO idea what the practice is like over there.
I have only done one observership in obstetrics at U Miami hospital and only know the working times and remaining life quality I saw there are not what I want, even for 4 years.

So I start my inquiries here and would greatly appreciate if anyone could tell me something about:
-general time commitment/working hours
-is it possible to do half-day / half-time residencies
-can a residency be interrupted
-since I will probably end up in a smaller local hospital: quality of education there

Thank you very much,

Julia

there are a few issues for you:
- Anesthesiology is now VERY competitive, and as a foreign grad with that score+CV you can almost forget about it. Therefore the huge amont of money and time/energy required to apply having a little child would not be a rational choice.
- your request for a "nice" lifestyle and German-style "half-time residency" is better suited in Germany, where you can live in a niche for 10-15 years without having to graduate with little difference in pay. It does not exist in the US in residency training. Expect at least 60 h/week here.
- why do I claim to know that? extensive experience in both countries for 10 yrs

Thank's for the encouragements, but all I asked for was some info.
Yes I do want a "nice" residency with academic quality AND a remaining family life. It is possible here and I would most certainly stay if it were for these reasons only.
But after long years in Germany I would like to make it possible for my husband to come home again, if only for a while!
If I can possibly manage to make it work in combination with my own career, I will! (And I am even still considering psychiatry as well..)