PhD/PsyD Internship hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intern2223

Reaction score
I know the total number of hours for internship is around 2000, but I’ve noticed the amount of direct hours internship sites require for completion vary quite a bit. The minimum set by appic and/or apa seems to be 500 (or 25%) direct. What are people’s current requirements for direct hours (if currently on internship) or what were the requirements at people’s sites (if post grad school and internship)?

What do sites typically do if an intern doesn’t meet their minimum for direct hours? (Especially when an intern has advocated for needing more direct hours scheduled but hasn’t gotten them)

Also, for an APA accredited internship site, how many fully licensed clinical psychologists need to be involved in your supervision? Is it okay for there to be only one full time? If there are other very part time psychologists (<10 hours/wk each) but the site says that 2 part time staff, with only 1 of them actually involved in interns supervision, equals a full time staff, is that okay?

Members don't see this ad.

Ours was 25% direct, which was very easy to hit, especially for us more assessment oriented people. It was a VA, so nobody in our cohort was even close to being under that figure, plenty of patients to go around, and if you really wanted to, you could start a group for just about anything.

As for supervisors, I'd have to check on the APA stuff, not sure. Personally, I'd be a little concerned if there were only 1 real supervisor.

Reactions: 1 user
I agree that having only 1 full-time supervisor would be worrying, even with a couple extra part-time staff, although the setup you've described sounds like it technically meet's APA's requirement, which is as follows:

"The program must have a sufficient number of supervisors to accomplish the program’s service delivery and to supervise training activities and program aims. An accredited internship program must have a minimum of two doctoral-level psychologists on-site."

As for F2F hours, typically those will be monitored by the internship director, supervisors, and interns (or at a minimum the internship director). I would imagine the director would be working to ensure the hours are met by the end of internship. If they aren't, then they might see about seeking an exception if possible, or they might extend the intern's training time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I know the total number of hours for internship is around 2000, but I’ve noticed the amount of direct hours internship sites require for completion vary quite a bit. The minimum set by appic and/or apa seems to be 500 (or 25%) direct. What are people’s current requirements for direct hours (if currently on internship) or what were the requirements at people’s sites (if post grad school and internship)?

What do sites typically do if an intern doesn’t meet their minimum for direct hours? (Especially when an intern has advocated for needing more direct hours scheduled but hasn’t gotten them)

Also, for an APA accredited internship site, how many fully licensed clinical psychologists need to be involved in your supervision? Is it okay for there to be only one full time? If there are other very part time psychologists (<10 hours/wk each) but the site says that 2 part time staff, with only 1 of them actually involved in interns supervision, equals a full time staff, is that okay?
I didn't hit it, my site did nothing. Though it was also their fault. Your mileage may vary. Many states require that for licensure as well, though both states I've gotten licensed in didn't care because it was APA accredited and they only dig into the numbers if it isn't.