Internship electives during PM&R?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

macman

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks-

I am seeking advice on electives during my internship year that will be useful for PM&R. I am doing a IM pre-lim. year and they are offering me 4 elective blocks. I can also do one away elective. My inital thoughts were Neuro, Ortho, Neurosurg., Urology others?. Specific advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I did Neuro, Ortho, Rads. Rads was a pretty good, especially Neurorads & MSK.

A good EM rotation with exposure to trauma management or neurosurgery/neuro-ICU would be good too. Learning principles of spine stabilization and management of increased ICP is very helpful for inpatient rehab.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the feedback. I will likely do EM and FP anyway b/c I want to try to get my ACGME year approved by the AOA. I have requested Neuro as well.....

i would like to ask what is the required pgy1 rotation for pm&r? you see i like pm&r but i hate internal medicine. i know there will be some months of internal medicine in the pgy1, there is no escaping that. what would you guys recommend? any particular program you would suggest? thanks in advance.

Also the AOA has gotten rid of OB/Gyn (ugh!!!) and Peds as required for osteopathic internships for the upcoming year. This should also make it even easier to get an ACGME internship year approved by the AOA. EM is a great rotation and I found it so useful just from a clinical learning experience. Having some exposure to a high level trauma center is a great asset for PM&R departments and programs. I spent two weeks on Anesthesia/Pain Management rotation and that was great. Urology is another elective to choose since you will see rehab inpatients with bladder dysfunctions (e.g. autonomic dysreflexia).

drvlad2004 said:
Also the AOA has gotten rid of OB/Gyn (ugh!!!) and Peds as required for osteopathic internships for the upcoming year. This should also make it even easier to get an ACGME internship year approved by the AOA. EM is a great rotation and I found it so useful just from a clinical learning experience. Having some exposure to a high level trauma center is a great asset for PM&R departments and programs. I spent two weeks on Anesthesia/Pain Management rotation and that was great. Urology is another elective to choose since you will see rehab inpatients with bladder dysfunctions (e.g. autonomic dysreflexia).

urology......hold that thought-just kidding, I'll look into seeing if thats an option. Thanks!

Here's the ACGME requirement for PGY1 year:

One year of the four years of training is to develop fundamental clinical skills. This year of training in fundamental clinical skills must consist of an accredited Transitional Year or include six months or more inpatient responsibility in accredited training in family practice, internal medicine, obstetrics-gynecology, pediatrics, or surgery, or any combination of these patient care experiences. The remaining months of this year may include any combination of accredited specialties or subspecialties.
Accredited training in any of the specialties or subspecialties selected must be for a period of at least four weeks. No more than eight weeks may be in non-direct patient care experiences. Training in fundamental clinical skills must be completed within the first two years of the four year training program.

The Link: http://www.acgme.org/acWebsite/downloads/RRC_progReq/340pr703_u704.pdf