internship before school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tantica

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I received a note from my school to apply early for the intern license and get as many internship hours as possible before school starts !?! Yeah.. this is LECOM again and I don't know if somebody is joking or if they are serious about it.
Is this common at other schools?
I didn't even know this is possible. I live in PA and we are required to have 750 internship hours outside the school and 750 hours as school requirement.
Good thing is that I have no classes this summer.
Where would you recommend to start.. There is a Rite Aid near by but I am afraid people are going to look at me funny when I am not even taking pharm classes yet.

One more thing .. I never worked as tech or in a pharmacy. Many people here have so much experience and I feel like I don't have any edge. That's why I don't post to much on this board.

Is there anything I need to ask or say to a potential preceptor to get an internship? I am afraid that they will say no. I can see them favoring a second or a third year student. It will be more work for them to train me from level 0.

What if I will have no luck to find a preceptor do you think I miss a lot that will prepare me for the class work? Most likely I will work during school but in a 3 year degree I don't know if I will have enough time for work.

Thanks for any replies

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on the state you are in i guess. AL and VA require that you be a current student in a SOP before you can get your intern/extern license.

Check on your state laws.

I also have never worked as a tech, only volunteered in a free clinic pharmacy, which is nothing like retail pharmacy. I know that at MWU in AZ I will get my intern license at the beginning of the first quarter. We'll get all of the hours we need for licensure during school, but I WANT to work as an intern ASAP (I need $$$$)! I'm also worried that it will be hard to find an intern job with no experience.

A friend of mine who is graduating from MCPHS-boston this year who is a Walgreens intern and loves it, gave me an area pharmacy manager's phone number. He told me to tell her that I've been accepted to pharmacy school and that I'd like to start working. I just haven't called because I'm worried she'll think I'm crazy and laugh at me :oops: ...I've never worked as a tech, and I'm not a student yet.

But maybe I'll call her tomorrow and let you know what she says about how far just being accepted to pharm school gets you (I'm assuming not very far). You should definitely call LECOM and find out if you can really get your license before school starts.

tantica said:
I received a note from my school to apply early for the intern license and get as many internship hours as possible before school starts !?!
In AZ, they won't give you an intern license until you actually start school. I moved here in June of '03 and I was as broke as they come. I went to the Assistant dean to ask for a license so that I could get a job, but it wasn't possible until I actually started school in August. It doesn't hurt to ask though!

Members don't see this ad :)
In Ohio, they just changed the rule. You previously were allowed to get your intern license as soon as you have been accepted to and have paid your deposit to, a school pharmacy. But (of course) just as I was applying, they changed the rule and are now making me wait until the first day of classes in the fall to apply for my intern license. Before I was notified I could not get my intern license, I interviewed for an internship position in the Outpatient Pharmacy at Children's Hospital. The day after I was notified I had to wait to get my license until sept, they called and offered me the position. Luckily, they are letting me begin to train and work this summer and will bump me up to official intern in the fall. That's strange that you must get 750 hours on your own. Ohio State's curriculum alone includes more than the 1500 hours needed for pharmacist licensure. I guess it must be the three year thing.

I'm plannign to do something similar to Roxicet. I may not have my intern license, but a place may hire you as a tech or clerk knowing that you will have it in a few months. Or it may be possible to have something lined up for when you do get the intern license to cut down on the legwork later. It can't hurt to make a few calls and see..... :) You never know if you don't try.

In Texas you have to finish a years worth of pharmacy classes to apply for an intern license. Check your state laws.

Does anyone know the laws in Virginia? I looked on the Virginia Board of Pharmacy website but I'm only finding applications for practical experience... who knows?!?
I'm trying to figure out whether or not to bother getting certified as a tech at this point just to begin working in a pharmacy in Winchester (attending Shenandoah in August) or if I can become an intern within 9 months.
Anybody know?

ndearwater said:
Does anyone know the laws in Virginia? I looked on the Virginia Board of Pharmacy website but I'm only finding applications for practical experience... who knows?!?
I'm trying to figure out whether or not to bother getting certified as a tech at this point just to begin working in a pharmacy in Winchester (attending Shenandoah in August) or if I can become an intern within 9 months.
Anybody know?
have to be in school to be a intern

but glycerin will be able to answer more unless she's already gone....

I think PA is different. My manager at CVS has reminded me multiple times that I will be changed to intern status if I get the acceptance letter.. It also helps that it's about 6 more dollars an hour.....

C'mon Duquesne!!

I have actually been thinking about doing this too. But I am not sure where to start. I heard you can start working at a pharmacy as soon as you get the acceptance letter, but I am not sure how possible it is or how much they pay you. Does anyone know about the law in CA? ;)

So, if you are a tech now and get paid $7.00 an hour if you get an acceptance letter and an intern license they will pay you $13.00 (somebody said +$6.00 ) an hour because you are an intern???? SWEET!!!!

Hmmm... I'm already getting $10/hour working at CVS. If I get in (I can't stand this waiting game), do you think that they'll boost my rate of pay? Or is $10 the standard for interns and I am already getting a good deal? (This is in S. Texas btw).

Moxxie said:
Hmmm... I'm already getting $10/hour working at CVS. If I get in (I can't stand this waiting game), do you think that they'll boost my rate of pay? Or is $10 the standard for interns and I am already getting a good deal? (This is in S. Texas btw).

My friend was working in Ca as a tech and when she became and intern in Las Vegas, her rate went down......hahaha, cuz she was such a well paid tech.

I just got hired as an intern at a walgreens in colorado with no experience as a tech. i'll be getting $12.75/hr. she said my pay and title is for an intern, but to not bother getting the license for now because you have to pay $70 for it and you have to reapply every september.

I've never worked in a pharmacy besides my volunteer job....but for California...you need some license. An intern told me that you can by-pass the PTCB exam and submit your college transcripts. But I may be wrong.

I recently submitted my application for an intern/pharm tech license which is basically....send the state $40 and fill out their applications. I applied for the pharm tech license without non-examination since I will be needing it before I start my externship in the fall. Apparently, in Illinois, you can be a pharm tech without training (at least have a GED or high school diploma)...sweet. It used to be like that in California many ages ago since I've spoken to pharm techs who've been around for more than 25 years....

I think the required internship hours outside of rotations vary for each school and when they start counting.